R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to get Generator to power Air Conditioner
    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Tibof

Not sure what this has to do with the point of my post.  thousands of these generators in use.

I inferred you owned two EU2200s that might have been recalled. 
2017 R-Pod 182G Hood River
2017 Tundra TRD Crew Max 5.7L V8
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:18pm
No, I own two EU2000 that have been flawless for years.  Kids have the EU2200.  As I started reading your post I assumed that the issue was going to be attempting to run AC with an EU2200.  I'll check serial number though.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:59pm

Originally posted by offgrid

Many reports and tests in fact do say the new Honda EU2200 will power an AC (15,000BTU).  In my case, it definitely does.  Note, this is the new EU2200, not the older EU2000.  The older unit would not power an AC.  On the 5th wheel we run two of them ganged together when AC is needed — which is seldom.

Yes, I fully understood this was the 2200. Many report success and many report failure. As I said, there are are several variables involved. Its not as simple as saying it works or it doesn't, or even that it works for one person under all conditions. I've had my 2K start my a/c as well, under some very benign conditions. 

Please supply a reference.  While there may be situations when the EU2000 will not power the AC, such as a very high BTU unit or very high elevation, a Google search does not immediately bring up reports that the EU2000 fails to run the AC.  But it brings up many reports that it does.  Perhaps I should say, "In general, the EU2200 will run your AC."

Here for example.   

I'll repeat: as one of these Amazon reviewers stated, not all a/c's with the same btu/hr rating are the same, and they aren't even the same for the same model number under the same conditions, and they are certainly not the same as conditions vary. And hot compressor starts on hot days are harder.  Similar variations apply to the generators as well. If you want to generalize feel free, but a generalization isn't going to cool you off if your a/c fails to start on its 3rd compressor cycle on a hot day when you really need it. If you want to have a reliable way to run your a/c then either get an Easystart or other system for limiting peak startup current, or get a larger generator. 

BTW my 2K (without Easystart) would sometimes start my a/c once, but never on a second compressor cycle when refrigerant back pressure had built up. YMMV, as they say. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:34am
After reading those Amazon reviews, most of which don't directly address the EU2200, I'll stick with the tests and owner experience that can be found in a Google search.  Out of 12 Amazon reviews, one said no, and one was talking about the EU2000!  And another was a "Seller" who said you need more than one!  And since we are presumably concerned here with an R-Pod AC, I'll flatly state that the EU2200 will run it.  But anyone buying a generator, check the reviews for yourself.  Go to a dealer that sells them and test one.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:54am

After reading those Amazon reviews, most of which don't directly address the EU2200, I'll stick with the tests and owner experience that can be found in a Google search.  Out of 12 Amazon reviews, four said no, and one of those was talking about the EU2000!  And another was a "Seller" who said you need two!  And since we are presumably concerned here with an R-Pod AC, I'll flatly state that the EU2200 will run it.  But anyone buying a generator, check the reviews for yourself.  Go to a dealer that sells them and test one.

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, it varies.. OUR 177, MY eu2000, WOULD run the a/c. It wouldn't on my sisters 177, nor on a friends Coachman. All the same model and size a/c. All in the same driveway, within minutes of each other when experimenting. (and, as a side note, the eu2000 owned by the Coachman owner, wouldn't start mine.)

The best you can say for sure is that YOUR 2200 will run the a/c on YOUR Pod. It's entirely possible that it will start "most", but know one knows for sure that it will start all of them.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 11:36am

After reading those Amazon reviews, most of which don't directly address the EU2200, I'll stick with the tests and owner experience that can be found in a Google search.  Out of 12 Amazon reviews, four said no, and one of those was talking about the EU2000!  And another was a "Seller" who said you need two!  And since we are presumably concerned here with an R-Pod AC, I'll flatly state that the EU2200 will run it.  But anyone buying a generator, check the reviews for yourself.  Go to a dealer that sells them and test one.

You asked for an example of a start failure, I gave you several. Took me all of 10 seconds as I was already shopping on Amazon. If you don't like my examples that's your prerogative, but I'm not obliged to play "bring me a rock" with you. 

I don't think you are actually reading and understanding my posts. If you were you would not state that it was adequate to "go to a dealer and that sells them and test one".  A one time test is clearly NOT adequate, as several of the Amazon reviewers and many others on this forum and elsewhere also point out.  Are you recommending someone to go on a cold day at sea level when then haven't run their a/c in weeks? A hot day at high altitude when they have just run their a/c for a long period and performed multiple starts? An older a/c or a brand new one? A used generator or new right out of the box? 

You are ignoring the complexities of the variables involved. It is easy to assume that an area of expertise with which one is not very familiar is simple to understand, but if that was the case with air conditioning there wouldn't be tens of thousands of engineers and technicians making a good living dealing with the complexities. Ditto with generators. 

While not an expert in either of these fields I have worked with and respect the experts in both.  As an engineer I am well aware of the dangers from interactions in complex systems operating at or near their limits. Sound engineering practice involves knowing not to shave safety margins too closely lest one encounter lots of unpleasant behaviors best left undiscovered. 

I do hope your a/c and generator continue to play well together and incur no long term damage. Moving on...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 12:23pm
Offgrid, its all digital, on-off, go-no-go, black-or-white, binary, ones-or-zeros, will-run-or-wont-run scenarios.

Don't you know that by now? Wink

The floggings will continue until morale improves.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 12:44pm
Yeah, analog is sooo old school. I am reminded of my grandson who gets frustrated when his car breaks down because "it should just work". 

American scientists and engineers used to be the best in the world because our educational system combined both theoretical work and practical experience. Other countries didn't have those resources. Now unfortunately that is no longer the case, for example the electrical engineering grad student I met recently who couldn't jump start his car battery. He could write great C++ code though....

End of rant...Disapprove

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, it varies.. OUR 177, MY eu2000, WOULD run the a/c. It wouldn't on my sisters 177, nor on a friends Coachman. All the same model and size a/c. All in the same driveway, within minutes of each other when experimenting. (and, as a side note, the eu2000 owned by the Coachman owner, wouldn't start mine.)

The best you can say for sure is that YOUR 2200 will run the a/c on YOUR Pod. It's entirely possible that it will start "most", but know one knows for sure that it will start all of them. 
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your observations, but this is about the EU2200, NOT the EU2000.  They are very similar but the EU2000 has been replaced by the EU2200.  As I said, Google for actual tests.  Or go to a dealer on a hot day or one at 12,000 feet and check out an old one not just out of the box! Throw as many variables at it as you can find. So far, all I've seen are the numerous tests that Google brings up, plus my own experience.  And the data support my point.  In the end, no one knows anything for sure.  In another galaxy, far, far away, the EU2200 may not power a conventional light bulb.  But probabilities do tell us a lot, and I do know something about that.  When Pod owners start reporting no luck with the EU2200, I'll be the first to acknowledge it and eat crow. 
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:48pm
My comment about digital vs analog was, of course, just for humor...I understand the frustration of trying to figure out what will power the entire RV, and A/C, and still be considered 'portable'.

I've got a 3500/4000 Champion that is a beast, it powers the A/C and everything else just fine. I suspect it will power just about ANY 30 amp RV we care to plug into it.

But, I can barely hoist it by myself into the back of the pickup....it weighs about 150 pounds or so fully fueled!

But by golly it does do the job.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>