Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew 171

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 171
    Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 1:37pm
My wife and I just bought a new 171, right after buying a small pop up.  Actually she saw the pod when we went to pick up the little Starcraft and fell in love.  2 weeks later, we're trading in the pop up for the 171.
We went ahead and bought a used van to pull it, but in spite of the 3500# tow rating, and the salesman's assurance that it would pull 2200# just fine, it had a great deal of difficulty getting past 50mph on level ground.  There's a horror story that follows that, but I leave that for when it's all resolved.
Anyway, we have the 171, and pick up an 04 Sienna tomorrow, and once I get the hitch on and wired, then the brake controller installed, we'll be able to do more than play with it in the drivewayLOL

We're looking forward to exploring the Southwest USA in our "Escape Pod" during the next couple of years.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 3:47pm
Welcome olphart.  Everyone here agrees that once you get above 50 your reserve power drops off quickly.  People have done airflow models of the 'pod and apparently a large vacuum develops behind it.  If you haven't purchased your brake controller yet I highly recommend the Prodigy.  Older controlers are just timers that phase in the max setting you set.  Newer controllers like the Prodigy have inertia sensors that give you a proportionate amount of braking depending on how much brake you are applying.  Once I switched I was much happier.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 4:59pm
I will again plug the Nissan V6 Frontier 4x2 (towing capacity of 6500 lbs) as a great tow vehicle.  It made our trip from FL to the first Eastern r*pod rally in KY a very easy trip even though we went through Atlanta and then up the mountain to Chattanooga and through TN & KY to IL for a family reunion.  We then went back to the rally at Boonesbourgh state park.

Our mileage at 12-13 mpg was about half what the Frontier gets without the pod.  We drove at about 55 mph which was at a speed below almost everything else on the road.  We disengaged overdrive while pulling the pod per the instructions in the owner's manual.  With overdrive engaged, there was too much shifting between OD and the lower gears.

We also have an inertia sensor brake controller and highly recommend it.
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
Caverkim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:52am
Congrats!  Hope you are enjoying your camper! 
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
 Post Reply Post Reply