R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEasyStart for AC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: EasyStart for AC
    Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:37pm
I know there has been some discussion on this, but I am considering having a Micro-Air EasyStart added to my AC.  I have an igen2200 Westinghouse generator and thought the EasyStart would be necessary to use it to run the AC.  I will also be parking at job sites that will just have standard outlets, likely running on 15 amp service.
Well today I tried using my AC for the first time with my generator.  It seemed to startup and work just fine, it definitely added a load to the generator, but startup didn't seem to bog it down anymore than when the AC was already going.

Additionally, I ran my AC while plugged into a standard outlet at my house, while monitoring it with my Hughes autoformer.  When the compressor kicked on, the amps went up to about 15, then stayed at 12-14 while running.  So is there justification for adding an EasyStart?  I have read that it helps the generator run more efficiently, and can make the AC run quieter.  Also, I tried it when it was around 78 degrees out and I am at about 1,000' elevation.  I know it might not work as well if I get to a higher elevation.

2nd question is regarding turning off the convertor (by pulling the fuse) when running the AC.  I noticed it dropped the load by about 2-3 amps (after the battery charged fully), and everything seemed to work fine (12 volt lights etc.).  When I am plugged into power (generator or shore) does pulling the convertor fuse change anything other than not charging the battery?

Sorry for the long questions, just want to avoid an unnecessary expense.

Thanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:27pm
Hello vbdomenico and welcome!

I installed an EasyStart on our AC. I have a Generac iX2000 which is 2200 surge, 2000 running watts. I do notice a difference with the EasyStart. There are several considerations.

First, when you were running the AC, you were at a low temperature and not that far above sea level. Increase the outside temperature to 90 degrees and the startup would be more difficult. A restart of the compressor (like it was cycling off and on to keep the temperature cool) is harder than starting it initially since there is likely still some back pressure in the lines that could increase the starting current needed if I understand correctly. Also, were you running it through the Hughes Autoformer when you were running it on the generator also? That may have made a difference. I recently got one, but have not tried it with the generator.

The test while plugged in may not have captured the initial surge current. I am not sure how fast the Autoformer reacts. How were you monitoring the current anyway? The autoformer does not have gauges, just lights so how were you getting the reading? The EasyStart does little for operating sound of the AC except that it is not a jolt when the compressor starts. It is a smoother start, but the fan noise does not really change. As for the generator, count on about 3% loss in engine power (and generator capacity) per 1000 ft of altitude. At 1000 ft, it is not bad. Try at 6000 ft, and your test might not have been so successful.

Now for the converter, you don't need to pull fuses, just turn the breaker off. I need to do this with my iX2000 if the battery requires significant charging. I recently changed from two 6V Pb-Acid batteries to one LiFePO4 battery. The LiFePO4 battery does not have a float charge, so once it is charged, the converter is basically just supplying the lights and other 110V appliances. When you turn the converter off, you will not be charging the battery/batteries so anything needing 12V is going to be using your battery power. You will need to keep track of your battery charge state and allow for recharging if you turn the breaker for the converter off.

If you do not think you will be camping in extreme temperatures or at higher elevations, you may not need the EasyStart. OTOH, it may be beneficial. I don't know how new your AC unit is. It may be that Dometic has reengineered the unit to use less power to start and run. If so, then you may be okay. I know that when I was using a 15A outlet from my house, I could start the AC, but after a while, the breaker would trip due to the load. Since then, I have installed a 30A RV outlet at home. The igen2200 is rated for 1800 running watts and 2200 surge watts. You may just see if it works well in real life use, not just testing. If it doesn't, then go for the EasyStart.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
vbdomenico View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:21pm
Thanks Stephen,
1 - I was not using the Autoformer with the generator, is there a benefit to doing so?
2 - I was monitoring usage on the app while the compressor turned on and off, it only went to 15 amps but you are right, it could have missed the initial surge, it seems to update about every second or two;
3 - I have a 2020 190.  I do not see a  breaker marked for the convertor, just a 15 amp fuse?;
4 - I bought my r-pod to keep traveling for work, I will be going anywhere and everywhere in the lower 48.  Already have to be in Florida in July, so yes I will be in extreme temps.  Leaning towards installing one, either that or add a 2nd generator in parallel.  I can't deal with hot weather!

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:42am
The inrush current at a/c startup is over very quickly so yeah, you are missing the peak with the app, and you miss it with a peak hold ammeter too. Its higher than you  think.

There is no efficiency or noise benefit after startup from the Easystart. If you want to be confident that you can always get the a/c running regardless of temp conditions or short cycling then get the Easystart. If you want to be confident that you can always keep it running even at high altitudes or if you want to be able to run anything else at the same time then get the second generator. 

Good question on whether the autotransformer helps with startup. Autotransformers are used all the time to reduce inrush and startup currents in big industrial motors, so it might help. Try it and see.

Weird that WFCO would remove the circuit breaker for the converter. Since its an integrated product I suppose they could obtain a listing for it without that but boy what a crummy place to save a couple of bucks. Can you take a photo of your panel and post it?  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 7:24am
I can attest to the a/c surge changing with different conditions in temperature etc.. I was surprised to find that I was able to start my a/c unit with one 2000 watt honda genny the first time I ever tried it. It started up, cooled, then cycled. It was a nice spring day. A week or so later, I couldn't get it to start no matter what. I don't recall if the temp was higher, but that's probably the difference since I don't normally run anything else while it's between trips. I guess to say you CANNOT start the a/c with a 2000W genny isn't completely true. I guess the truest statement is what offgrid said " If you want to be confident that you can always get the a/c running regardless of temp conditions or short cycling then get the Easystart". I just put an easy start in, and can run off one honda genny, or a 15 amp plug. I'm going to change over to a 20 amp plug so I can run the fridge, or watch t.v. with the a/c on. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:41am
I don't know if there is any benefit to using the Autoformer when running the generator. I have not tried it. I think that would be a question for Hughes since they would have the technical data that I don't.

Edit: I emailed Hughes to ask and will post their reply when it arrives.

Edit: This is the reply I received from Hughes:

Hello Stephen,

From what I understand, the autoformers just need normal AC voltage coming in via the 30 A or 50 A plugs and if that detected voltage is low (113 v or lower) then the unit will boost it by 10% on the output side. If the voltage is above 113 v the autoformer is only boosting it by 2%. 

I am not 100% on any special types of inverter generators or things that might adjust the sine wave of the power, etc. These typically go either at the pedestal or just before your transfer switch if you are hardwiring them in. They can be used on generators. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Powering Your RV Adventure!
Best Regards,

Brett
General Manager
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:02pm
I take it that mean that the Autoformer can help the generator run the AC, but just slightly?

Offgrid, I will recheck the breaker box, maybe I was looking at it wrong.

Thanks
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:39pm
Not sure. It may help by boosting the voltage. That would lower slightly the amperage needed to start the AC's compressor. Whether that would be significant enough remains to be seen.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 2:34pm
That was the normal non answer answer. The autotransformers used to start big industrial motors work the other way around. They start with a lower than normal voltage to the motor which allows it to get started with lower current. Then it switches to a higher voltage once operating. 

If the Hughes device actually started the a/c at a higher voltage it would draw more current from the generator to compensate. But I don't think it does, there is a bit of a lag before it kicks the voltage up. What might help is that transformers are big inductors so store energy and resist changes in current flow for a short period. That might help handle the a/c compressor inrush current. Try it and see, it won't hurt anything. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 1:06pm
I was looking at the breakers wrong, there is a breaker for the converter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>