R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire woes
    Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:37pm
Hello Campers,
We have a 2014 R-Pod 178 with original tires and these codes on the sidewall:  M+S   LT235/75R15.
Upon inspection I noticed a vertical slit or crack on the sidewall near the tread. The Pod has been sitting outside, tires shaded, unmoved, on gravel since November 2019 until now, 5/27/2020.

I’m looking for some advice and some answers:
- I assume this is no longer safe, can’t repaired, and should be replaced. True?
- Can I replace it with the original spare of same size but has never been used?
- If all tires should be replaced, any recommendations? I want to avoid “china bomb” tires that so many trailer people have complained about.
- Are tire chain-stores equipped/trained to properly lift the Pod to change a tire?

I’ll try and attach a photo showing the tire slit, but in the past I haven’t had much success.Thanks in advance for your help!
Jack

2014 R-Pod 178 aka the "Kobra Pod"
following a 2015 4Runner wherever it may wander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:24pm
Light Truck tires....that's odd.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:21am
Hood river version owners jump in here but I was under the impression that LT tires come standard on those.

Yeah sidewall cuts are a pain. If you're otherwise comfortable that your tires haven't aged out you could swap in the spare but do both the tires and wheels match? If not you'll have two mounting charges, probably not worth it. 

Since the tires are already 6 years old I suggest you consider replacement. Best choice is a ST (special trailer) tire. And consider bumping up to a load range D. I personally run Chinese tires and don't buy into the "China Bomb" theory but if you want to buy an "American" brand be sure its not actually a China bomb in disguise.

I've found it cheaper to buy tires over the internet and take them to the shop for mounting. Any good tire shop should be able to handle the mounting for you, but be sure to get their price first.  Tell 'em not to lift the trailer by the frame, only by the axle right at the frame attachment point.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:32am
Yes, by all means replace.  Recommendations are to replace at 5 year intervals regardless of miles on tires.  I replaced our originals (trailer tires btw, not light truck tires as you have) when they were 6 years old.  When we purchased our 177 in January 2011 the tires were already a year old.  Replaced and had 20,000 + miles and still looked like new, tread wise.  Second set purchased were Hartland tires from Discount Tire, a "C" rated tire.  Yes, they are manufactured in China, as are most tires and after 4 years and 15,000 miles, have performed well.  Our next set will probably go with Carlisle "D" rated.   Many have gone to the Goodyear Endurance.

What you don't hear is when people have tire issues is have they been properly maintained.  Have they checked tire pressure?  "C" rated is to be 50 psi.  "D" rated is 65 psi and you can safely travel at faster speeds than the "C" tire.  Some have even gone to an "E" rated tire but some have reported that since it is such a stiff tire, it tends to shake things apart inside the pod when traveling on rough roads. 

Replace a 3 tires, even though your spare hasn't been used and is brand new (no mileage) the rubber has still been deteriorating due to age and possibly sun, unless it has been covered.

I change the tires myself.  Tire chain stores may or may not know how to properly change the tires on your R-Pod.  If they can place the jack as close to the tire as possible while lifting, you will be ok.  If they can't or won't, I would do it myself.

I would avoid any L/T tire, go with the safer and stiffer side wall S/T tires.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:06am
I agree with jato. Original tires on a 2014 have almost got to have aged out by now. 5 years is the standard age to replace; 6 years if you like to live dangerously.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:14am
+1 to time to replace the tires.  Jack, do yourself a favor and get D rated tires.  They have less rolling resistance b/c you can have a higher pressure in them and they give you a safer range of speed.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by jato

If they can place the jack as close to the tire as possible while lifting, you will be ok.  

If this was anything other than an rPod with its axle weakened by its inboard frame attachment, i'd agree with you. But in this case, jacking right under the axle to frame attachment point is better. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 12:36pm
Thank you offgrid for the clarification.  That is what I wanted to say but you definitely made it easier to understand and "see."
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Jenga Jack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:03pm
I checked the"official sticker" on the side of trailer that lists all specifications for the 2014 R-Pod Forest River Edition and for tire specs it reads LT 235/75 R15. So the tires are original.

Unfortunately, the nearest Goodyear tire center is 4 hours away. There is a reputable tire center in town that has ST tires. They recommended ST 225/75 R15 at about $120 each for everything.

If the spare is in good shape, I'll replace bad one and limp along until next season. With Covid-19 we don't plan any trips longer than 50 miles one-way. Fingers crossed...
2014 R-Pod 178 aka the "Kobra Pod"
following a 2015 4Runner wherever it may wander
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 2:19pm
Be careful running two differently sized tires.  They may not track evenly.  If I were you, I'd get two new tires. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>