R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing rpod 192 - Event Date: 28 May 2020 - 30 Jun 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Towing rpod 192
    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 1:16pm
I agree with the cost of inductive charging roadways. It is one method to charge, but it isn't like we have the ability to charge a battery in the same time it takes to pump gasoline or diesel fuel into a tank. We also stop, but there would have to be many more charging stations available as there are pumps today to get the throughput of vehicles that typical filling stations serve. I think the actual time frame for viable EV is more like 25 to 30 years, if not longer.That is, unless there is some major breakthrough in battery technology and/or charging technology.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 1:17pm
Wow...maybe a moderator can split this turbo-vs-nonturbo discussion off into another thread.

The OP may wonder what sort of wasps nest he uncovered!

Just for the record, virtually all class 8 OTR semis that have been made in the last 30 years or so are using a turbo charged 6 cylinder inline diesel engine (various brands) other than the occasional experimental hybrids or electric prime movers...etc....but pretty much all commercial OTR class 8 units hauling freight...more or less. Probably 99.999 percent. Just sayin.

But that is a larger, relatively slower turning turbo with well-proven technology, and equipped with engine braking.

My primary concern with the new generation of gasoline turbo engines in trucks used for towing:

How effective is the engine braking? 

OTR trucks running turbo engines nearly always have some sort of engine brake.

I've not heard of such a thing on gasoline turbo-equipped engines, unless they have some sort of automatic exhaust brake. When coasting down a long downhill grade with a 5,000 or 10,000 pound trailer pushing the entire rig towards the lowest point on the road on a long steep grade, you WANT at least SOME engine braking so your disc brakes and electric trailer brakes dont turn into red-hot smoking pools of useless molten metal. 

Normally aspirated engines always have a good amount of engine braking on tap, available by simply downshifting one or two cogs. Turbos do not. Not unless that engine has some sort of supplemental system for engine braking. I do know that some gasoline turbo equipped engines have variable valve timing, and that may be able to be used as an engine brake. But I have heard no mention of it, nor have I driven a gasoline turbo engine in the mountains with a heavy trailer.

After all, when pulling a trailer in the mountains, GO power is nice, but WHOA power is a necessity.

Or so it seems to me.

(BTW I have about 3 million miles of diesel truck driving experience, including all US mountain ranges...so I know a bit about the topic of pulling heavy trailers in the mountains)

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 1:27pm
The Escape we had was pretty good about holding speed on all but steep downgrades. The transmission would downshift so I didn't need to hit the brakes as much. I've had to hit the brakes more with the Frontier (NA engine) than I did with the Escape (Turbocharged).
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 1:31pm
Oh, thats interesting and opposite of my expectations....like I said, they may be controlling valve timing and exhaust flow to control speed and rpm under gravity-assisted forward progress....but as I said, I never see that being discussed...and it is very important.

Tow/haul mode is the setting that enables the vehicle ECM or PCM to make use of different shift points, but that in itself does not slow the vehicle during a descent. Its the performance of the engine when the fuel flow is cut to zero (or nearly zero) and the intake or exhaust air to or from the engine (or its individual cylinders) is reduced or restricted, that actually provides 'brake horsepower'...which is what actually retards engine RPM.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 1:35pm
I will also argue that a hybrid is far more complicated than a turbocharged engine of any number of cylinders. The electric F-150 is all slide-ware for now. Even if it has a 500 mile range empty, I would be shocked if it could produce more than 150 miles pulling a 5,000 lb trailer.

This is also a test.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I agree with the cost of inductive charging roadways. It is one method to charge, but it isn't like we have the ability to charge a battery in the same time it takes to pump gasoline or diesel fuel into a tank. We also stop, but there would have to be many more charging stations available as there are pumps today to get the throughput of vehicles that typical filling stations serve. I think the actual time frame for viable EV is more like 25 to 30 years, if not longer.That is, unless there is some major breakthrough in battery technology and/or charging technology.

I think what you are missing in your point is that we don't need to have enough level 3 charging stations to replace all the gas stations immediately. Put another way, your are likely right that it will take 25 plus years for the entire fleet to be converted to electric (if it ever does). What we need to have by 2025 is sufficient charging stations dispersed adequately to get everyone to consider an EV at their next purchase. There will be early, middle, and late adopters that will spread out the transition, and even then only when they need to change. A vehicle isn't a cell phone, most folks aren't going to have the dough to dump a perfectly good vehicle just because they want the coolest new thing. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 5:26pm
Count me among the later adopters. We do too much long-distance travel to bet on electric any time soon. If we are able to take that trip to Alaska, it will be difficult enough with an ICE vehicle. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I will also argue that a hybrid is far more complicated than a turbocharged engine of any number of cylinders. The electric F-150 is all slide-ware for now. Even if it has a 500 mile range empty, I would be shocked if it could produce more than 150 miles pulling a 5,000 lb trailer.

Not true at all about the hybrid. The hybrid drive has far less moving parts than a normal auto trans, about 10%. It is basically a planetary gearset with the two motor/generators integrated into the transmission allowing them to rotate in both directions under electronic control to create a continuously variable trans. It sounds complex and the software is, as are the various power flows, but the rotating hardware is dead simple. BTW there is no starter in a Prius, one of the motor-generators does that job, another simplification. 

Also, it babies the ICE, which is allowed to warm up while the motors drive the car, and the ICE is never hammered. You can flog a Prius on mountain roads and the motors take the beating, the ICE torque demand and rpm changes are always muted. Takes some getting used to the sounds but it works just fine. And, to podwerk's point about braking, you can normally drive so you hardly use the friction brakes, the motor/generators do all the braking while recharging the battery. 

That is not the case with long downhills with the standard non plug in Prius though, once the small battery is recharged there is no place for the energy to go except engine braking, (there is a selection for that on the "shifter") which isn't great, because the engine is quite small. That's where pure EV's with big batteries come in. If you look at the youtube report on the Tesla X towing on the Ike Gauntlet it is the only vehicle they ever tested there that needed zero friction braking. Just set the cruise control and watch the charge level go up. 

Anyhow the proof is in the pudding with the Prius, they routinely go half a million miles in taxi service, which is rough for any vehicle. Many places you go now its hard to find a taxi that isn't a Prius. They replaced the Crown Vics, another solid and reliable vehicle, but not nearly as durable as the Prius. And yes, being the conservation guy I am I waited for the gen 3 Prius before I bought mine.  

As for the F150 EV, there is zero reason to think that if the vehicle empty goes 500 miles on a charge that it will only go 150 towing. Do the math. If you get 24 mpg empty and 14 towing in the gasser, a ratio of 58%, then we should see the same ratio on the electric version. Same aerodynamics and rolling resistance so same hp demand, whether it is coming from an electric motor of an ICE. We have no idea what Ford will actually produce, but something around 40-50% range reduction should be expected when towing, just like with an ICE. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:23am
Originally posted by StephenH

Count me among the later adopters. We do too much long-distance travel to bet on electric any time soon. If we are able to take that trip to Alaska, it will be difficult enough with an ICE vehicle. 

Makes sense to me. Even after EV's eventually take over the new car market, there will still be plenty of classic ICE vehicles out there and interested groups that will keep them on the road.  

We don't do any long distance travel other than by air anymore. Now that we're off the Outer Banks most of the camping we do will be within a couple hours drive in the Appalachians. So, electric should work for me pretty early. But not yet, WV for example is still pretty much a blank spot on the map of level 3 charge stations. That being said, most families have at least two vehicles, so why not electric for the daily driver and ICE for long distance and towing? Charging at home is super convenient and would be nice right now during Covid too.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 8:52am
Since my wife does not drive, it makes no sense to have two vehicles. I'd rather not have to pay the cost of a second vehicle along with tax, tag, license, and annual taxes and registration. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>