R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Weight Distribution hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Distribution hitch
    Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:42am
The only challenging thing about installing a WDH is that a couple of the torque values are ~~ 250 ft-lbs, and most people don't have a torque wrench that goes that high. It is not terribly difficult to MacGyver a workaround though.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toyanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:17pm
I will bring up the down side of Weight Distribution Hitch's used on Rpods, since no one else did. Rpods are known for axles bending from being over loaded and a WDH will add weigh to the trailer axle, if you load your Rpod close to the limit a WDH can put you over. This is why I asked how it tows without one. I have towed trailers for over 40 years and have never needed one for a trailer under 4000 lbs.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:12pm
Equal-i-zer's torque specification are: The hitch ball is 430 ft-lbs. The shank bolts are 320 ft-lbs. The sway bracket assemblies are 75 ft-lbs. See the Equal-i-zer site for details.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
richfsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote richfsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:05am
I’m most concerned about sway control. Do They make just a hitch to address possible sway conditions?
richfsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote richfsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:07am
I’m most concerned with possible sway issues. Do they make a hitch to just address sway issues?

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Toyanvil

I will bring up the down side of Weight Distribution Hitch's used on Rpods, since no one else did. Rpods are known for axles bending from being over loaded and a WDH will add weigh to the trailer axle, if you load your Rpod close to the limit a WDH can put you over. This is why I asked how it tows without one. I have towed trailers for over 40 years and have never needed one for a trailer under 4000 lbs.

You raise a good point regarding increased trailer axle weight, and I wouldn't recommend a WDH for someone with a heavy tow vehicle. But trailer weight is not the criterion you should used to decide to get a whd or not, its the hitch weight of the trailer relative to the maximum hitch weight of the tow vehicle. Towing a relatively heavy trailer like a 190 with a relatively light and short wheelbase vehicle like a Highlander, a WDH makes a big difference. I have a similar rig and I am right at the my max hitch weight spec, while I have several hundred pounds of headroom on my trailer axle. At the tension level I put on my wdh I put an additional load of about 90 lbs on the trailer axle but reduce the load on the Highlander rear axle by about 270 lbs. That is a huge improvement for the Highlander for a small increase on the rPod. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 7:15am
Originally posted by richfsi

I’m most concerned with possible sway issues. Do they make a hitch to just address sway issues?

I wouldn't recommend that route for your rig but yes they do. 

You could get something like this

If you don't have a wdh you will have to weld a tab to your ball mount. 

You will like towing that 190 with your Highlander much better with a WDH though.....

The best thing you can do to limit sway risk is to load the trailer properly, keeping the hitch weight to at least 10 and preferably more like 12% or higher of total trailer weight. In practice that's not hard to do as long as you don't haul around graywater because that tank is behind the axle. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:51am
Originally posted by offgrid

I wouldn't recommend that route for your rig but yes they do. 

You could get something like this

If you don't have a wdh you will have to weld a tab to your ball mount. 

This is all I have ever used towing a 177 for the past 11 years; 8 of them towing with either an '08 or '13 Ford Explorer.  Many road and weather conditions with no issues or problems.  Cost was $40 when purchased back in March 2011 so not surprised to see a cost increase.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote riotkayak284 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:10pm
Highly recommend the Andersen system..... Been great for my 182G

https://andersenhitches.com/collections/wd-hitch
smedleyludlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote smedleyludlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:40am

I’m most concerned about sway control. Do They make just a hitch to address possible sway conditions?

The bottom line is if you detect ANY sway, slow down. 

I use a Camco R3 Recurve towing an RPod 176 with a Hyundai Santa Fe Limited Ultimate with a mushy rear end. There is about 300 lbs tongue weight.  The 400 lb spring bars positioned alongside the frame are insurance against dragging.  It works well although there was a gap of 0.080 between the hitch head and shank that Camco said closes when 260 ft lbs are applied to the bolts holding it together.  Instead, I fashioned an 0.080 shim that I put between the shank and hitch head that closed the gap before tightening the bolts.  I used a 1/2 in drive ratchet and 5 foot fence post as a cheater bar to tighten the bolts.  It's worked well for over 2,000 miles now. 
Projects take longer than expected, cost more than expected and will go wrong at the worst time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>