R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Weight Distribution hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote smedleyludlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Distribution hitch
    Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by richfsi

I’m most concerned with possible sway issues. Do they make a hitch to just address sway issues?
I forgot, sway control is built into the R3 Recurve.  It can be tightened for more control or loosened completely for backing.  Adjustment is done using an Allen wrench. Te bars don't have to come off for backing.
Projects take longer than expected, cost more than expected and will go wrong at the worst time.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:51am
Don't wait to see if you have sway and then attempt to use sway control to tame it. If your load is properly balanced then you won't have sway to begin with.

Weigh your rig as loaded for travel and be sure the tongue weight is at least 10% of total trailer weight, preferably 11%. There have been incidences of sway in rpods at around 10%. Be sure to include water weight in the FWT (with gray and black empty) if you plan to boondock, and also water weight in the gray and black tanks on your return (with the FWT empty). Water is very heavy, water weight changed the tongue weight by about 3% on my rig.

You can obtain your trailer and tongue weights at a public scale by going through the scales twice, once with the trailer and once without it. On the first run get the combined weight of the two tow vehicle axles, then roll the trailer on and get the total combined weight. Trailer weight is the difference between the two total weights. Tongue weight is the difference between the weight of the two tow vehicle axles from the first and second runs. You can check all your other trailer and TV weight specs axles max combined weight) at the same time.

Move load forward or aft
so your tongue weight stays at least 10%. Or remove it. Then add the sway control system as backup.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
smedleyludlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote smedleyludlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 8:38am
We have dragged our 176 probably 15,000 miles or more and never had any problem with sway.  But I don't go much over 70, occasionally 75 downhill.  The R3 recurve is new tho, Only about 3k miles on it. Prior to the R3 I used a sway bar. 
Projects take longer than expected, cost more than expected and will go wrong at the worst time.
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:32pm

Greetings, just purchased a 190. I am towing with a 2019 Toyota Highlander. Looking for a recommendation for a Weight Distribution Hitch. Appreciate the help!

Isn't the Highlander built on a unibody? Are any hitches built for it that are built for weight distribution?    

My SUV and 180 does not need weight distribution, nor sway damping, but I use a friction sway damper just in case. It is a unibody and nobody makes a weight distribution rated hitch for it.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Colt

Greetings, just purchased a 190. I am towing with a 2019 Toyota Highlander. Looking for a recommendation for a Weight Distribution Hitch. Appreciate the help!

Isn't the Highlander built on a unibody? Are any hitches built for it that are built for weight distribution?    

My SUV and 180 does not need weight distribution, nor sway damping, but I use a friction sway damper just in case. It is a unibody and nobody makes a weight distribution rated hitch for it.

Yes, but I towed my 179 many thousands of miles with a 2012 Highlander and a 600/6000-lb E2 hitch and never had an issue. I think the issue comes if you oversize the WDH.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 5:47pm
I had a 1000 lb rated wdh on my Highlander, no issues. When a wdh is set correctly it will exert the same moment (torque) on the tow vehicle regardless of it's rating. That is because it is intended to return the load on the front axle to what it was without the trailer. It should never be tensioned more than that.

As for unibody vs body on frame, either one can be damaged by excessive moment (torque) beyond what it is designed for. That is for the manufacturer to tell us. So if your vehicle's owners manual allows use of a wdh you can use one, within the other load limitations of your vehicle. If it is not allowed (flr example Subaru does not authorize their use) then don't do it.

I always used a wdh with my rig, the the ride and handling was much better with it. That doesn't mean you have to use one, you are free to do what you want within the limitations of your vehicle.

The flip side of that is that a single individual's experience is not statistically significant, no matter how many thousands of miles one of us drives and it is ok (or not) that doesn't mean that something is (or isn't) dangerous. To have that level of confidence requires millions of miles driven by thousands of people.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:30pm
The stiffer the bars, the more stress it's going to place on the TV when you hit bumps. The lighter weight bars will act somewhat as shock absorbers.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpod-Couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:16pm
I concur with Alan. The 2019 Highlander weighs in at about 4500lbs - similar to my 2010 Mazda CX-9. There is roughly 2200 lbs resting on the front and rear axles. The WDH pushes upwards on a large sub frame around the rear axle. The WDH is pushing upwards on the chassis about 300lbs to offset the tongue weight. At most shifting 100-150 lbs to the front axle. Likewise 100-200 lbs is being pushed back on the rear axle of the 180. This amount of weight is well within the Highlander’s chassis capability when you consider what it’s total payload capacity is (as long as you aren’t loading a ton of gear in it.) I initially tried 1000 lbs spring bars and it made the ride very harsh as every bump the trailer wheels hit was transferred to my vehicle. I switched to 600 lbs bars and the ride smoothed out nicely. Hardly notice my 171 is there.  
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 8:41am
Sorry but your math is not correct. Put your actual weight numbers in this calculator. I have validated that it is calculating correctly. A wdh applies a moment (think torque) about the ball in order to transfer load to the front axle and trailer axle from the tongue and the rear of the TV.

In my case to apply the proper moment I needed to tension my wdh spring arms to 750-800 lbs. Note that the moment load on the spring bars (and TV frame) is independent of the spring bar rating up to the point of spring bar failure.

Under what conditions will that failure occur? Bump loads can double the steady state load on the system. The WDH designers of course know that as do the vehicle designers. So the spring bars need to be designed with a yield point roughly double the wdh rating. So around 1200 lbs for 600 lb bars and 2000 lbs for 1000 lb bars.

If I had used 600 lb bars on my rig I would have come close to or exceeded their yield point frequently under bump loads.

My ride was great with the 1000 lb spring bars so I was happy. 800 lbs would also have worked for me, but no lighter without risk of spring bar failure unless you are running a light rpod lightly loaded with also a lightly loaded TV. So a lightly loaded 171 might be fine with 600 lbs spring bars but not so with a heavier boondock ready 179 or other mid sized rpod.

towing calculator
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:00pm
OG, you mention a calculator in your prior post, was there supposed to be link to it or am I missing something? 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>