R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Pump Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump Issues
    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 4:01pm
You might try switching the pump over to the winterizing line and placing it in a 3 gallon pail of water. See if that gets it primed and it stops pumping air and gets quieter. If not its probably necessary to remove the pump and see if there is anything rattling around in there. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm
Shurflo pumps are nearly indestructible so I still think we're missing something.  First, if you have water pressure, both hot and cold, the pump is, ipso facto, working. 

You've checked the strainer on the pump?  You've checked the valve on the anti-freeze sucking hose?  Do you have an outdoor shower?  Is it off?  Is there any water running/dripping anywhere?  (Floors are dry and no water dripping underneath the Pod?) 

You could have crap in the fresh water tank.  To check, you could undo the line into the pump and blow back into the tank, but there may be a check-valve in the way.  I think the check valve is built into the pump though.

I guess the pump could be working but on it's way to failure.  A new pump is cheap enough, but it's some effort to replace. It would be a shame to put in a new pump and find out you still have the same problem.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:53pm
Actually, it would not be difficult to replace. The fittings on mine which include the lines and the strainer all screw on to the input and output side of the pump. The hardest part is splicing the wires and even that is not difficult.I know that from when I removed mine to disassemble and reassemble. Even that part wasn't too difficult if one has the proper bits for the machine screws.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 8:01pm
OK....so I took the pump out (not too bad a job).

Disassembled it completely and everything looks good from what I can tell...no debris, rips, hard seals...everything seems soft, pliable etc.  

One thing I noticed....the motor shaft seems centered and spinning properly, but the female on the pump side, the bearing seems to have an offset or not be centered?  Does that seem normal?   I was just wondering if it was bent?

Anyways, re-assembled and hooked it up to a 12V battery at home, put the intake hose into a sink of water, and it though it does have a vibration when it is running, pumps water well enough - the vibration could be normal for what it is - I don't really know.

So, I'll start checking the intake side, though other than the suggestion to try use a hose and a jug of water, not sure how to test for an air leak....

Will advise....still open to any suggestions etc.

One thing...when I was following the pipe paths....it seems that the city water line feeds into the path somehow....how is that valved out...as on the outside of the trailer, it is just a female connector?  That is not supposed to have a plug in it?

Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:52pm
The city water pipe needs to have the cap on. Otherwise, there is a valve inside to prevent reverse flow. If there is not a cap on the city water connector, then that might be the source of the air. I had not thought about that. On our 179, it is a black cap that fits in the opening, much the same as the black water tank fitting. Both have the same type cap.

If the cap is missing, see if you can find something to plug the opening. You would likely be able to find a screw-in plug at a plumbing store or plumbing section of one of the big box stores.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 9:08am
OK...it's going to be very embarrassing to find out the source of all the problems is that I just didn't have a cap on the city water connection.  As I picked up the trailer that way, it never even dawned on me.

On the other hand, I will certainly have learned a lot...including how to remove and disassemble and rewire an RV water pump...

Embarrassed
Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 9:39am
Well, learning something is good. Going through the whole process to find out it was something very simple isn't so good, but this is something that may benefit someone else down the road. I'm glad you did not have to go buy a new water pump only to find out it did not fix the problem.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 12:19pm
So this is a photo of the water connection....just to confirm...this needs to be plugged when using the tank?

Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 12:52pm
The city water connection is on the high pressure side of your pump. There is a check valve to keep city water from leaking backward through the pump into the fresh water tank, and another one keeping the water pressurized by your pump from leaking backward out the city water line. There is no reason for the city water connection to cause your issue unless there is water leaking back out of the city connection when you turn on the pump. I think your problem lies elsewhere, either on the suction side of the pump from your fresh water tank or in the pump itself. If using the antifreeze suction line from a water container doesn't fix the problem then its most likely the pump. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 11:23pm
So, after pulling the pump, disassembling it completely (and finding nothing obvious), and reassembling etc, I went back today and reinstalled it just for testing, and it all seems to be working great now...nice even flow, no air intake, quiet, etc.

So, no, was not the open city water connection as was commented by Offgrid.  Messing with it all, it did start to leak at the factory clamps near the pump, but that will be easily fixed with a pipe trim and some new pipe clamps.

So...all good.  
Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>