R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod 177 rear window leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 177 rear window leak
    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 10:00pm
I think it was a combination. The heat softened the plastic and the foam pushed it up.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 9:27am
If you are trying to work on the spoiler as a proactive measure, I would recommend using Eternabond tape. I bought a 10' roll of black tape and used most of it on the spoiler. As noted in an earlier post, it is important to clean off the old dicor or silicone and then use alcohol or mineral spirits to clean the roof/spoiler.  I put one continuous piece across the length of the spoiler and then 2 short pieces up each side.  this should permanently seal any potential leaks from that area.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:32am
+1 to both cleaning the old sealant. I used mineral spirits to remove the old Dicor sealant and then used denatured alcohol to do a final cleaning before putting down new sealant. That was before I knew about Eternabond tape. If I were doing it again, I would probably go that route.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 11:56am
Could you please remind me what width eternabond you used?
Julie
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:49pm
I tried the Eternabond, but it did not adhere, though I've used it with good luck in other applications.  Surface was cleaned prior to application.  May be my fault.  Had to buy a new spoiler (since original was too warped to reuse), which is the same flimsy stuff as the original. But IMHO a straight spoiler can be fully sealed.  First, use stainless steel screws (there is nothing but the outer seating to bite into).  Old screw holes should be filled and sealed, for the new spoiler was slightly differen in hole spacing.  Take foam off of new spoiler and clean and roughen the surface beneath it.  Run a heavy bead of sealer (I used 3M 4200, which is a sealer and adhesive). to seat the spoiler in.  Be sure to fully seal wiring hole (mine was not sealed at all).  Then, once reinstalled, seal edge with Dicor non sag sealant.  Be sure to seal tops of screws. Only an opinion, but I would go the Dicor route before the tape. My problem with the tape was the warped and very uneven surface of the spoiler.  BTW, FR is well aware of this issue and how a redesign can fix it.  Perhaps on the newer ones it has addressed the problem.     
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 3:24pm
I used the 4" eternabond tape for the spoiler long section(side to side) coverage.  I cut the tape into 2" strips for the 2 side pieces(front to back). I ordered the 10' roll in black . clean the original surfaces carefully, tape a straight line across the roof and apply the tape. Be careful because it STICKS tight-you cannot move or relocate it. Once it is down, I rolled it with a 2" roller to insure no air bubbles. Look at the eternabond site for lots of info about the material and installation.
I checked it a couple of weeks after installation and it looks perfect-the edges are tight and no bubbles. I think it will last a long time.  Looks and works much better than using dicor for this type of application. dicor is good around different levels because it is self leveling compound. Etnerabond tape is good for sealing cracks/openings that are already approximately level.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12