R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod 177 rear window leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 177 rear window leak
    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 4:55pm
I purchased my very first camper last year (used 2013 Rpod 177), and did not have any leaks during rain when it was parked in my driveway, or at the campground ... up until last weekend. On sunday night, we drove back home in heavy rain, and when I went to clean the camper I found the bed very wet. Luckily, I caught the leak the same day, I had a sleeping bag covering the bed which absorbed most of the water, and the water did not make it to the wooden panel under the bed. I have been spinning my wheels trying to figure out where this leak is coming from because the roof is dry, and the corners are dry. I noticed water around the inside frame of rear window (the one that doesn't open), and I found some forums here that talk about those weeping holes not draining properly because of the way the manufacturer installed a flat window over a curved wall. I checked the seals around the window and they appear good on the top and sided, except the bottom doesn't have any sealant, but I read that it is supposed to be that way. I'm becoming convinced that the leak came from the window, and I used a wire to make sure the weep wholes are not clogged, but somehow water did not drain properly while driving. How can water collect in the rear window frame when it is a solid window? If the window already has the weep holes, how can you improve the drainage of rain water? The rpod repair shop is quoting me $1750 to repair all the seals, but I would hate to spend that money and get water leaked again because the issue is in the rear window. Please advise.
2013 Rpod 177/slide out
2019 Honda Pilot EX-L
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 9:23am
I would be suspicious of the spoiler too. That is known to be a source of many leaks. Seems like driving might make it kind of hard for the window to leak, unless you drive backwards. But driving would tend to add more pressure to the spoiler. My 2 cents. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
isabelisa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 10:04am
How would you know if the leak is coming from the spoiler? Are you thinking the water is getting inside the wall thru the spoiler and down to the window frame? I didn't see any water in the ceiling or the wall above rear window.
2013 Rpod 177/slide out
2019 Honda Pilot EX-L
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:18pm
Water could be entering the because the window seal is not tight and soft.  They get brittle and crack over the years.  I replaced the seal on our 172 last year.  I took the old one out and bought a roll of RV window seal of the same size on Amazon and replaced it.  When I took the old one out, I found that it had been letting water into the window frame and the weep holes were blocked from the inside.  I cleaned everything up, installed the new seal and it seemed to be okay.  It never leaked into the walls of the trailer.  

If it is your window, you may need to take the whole frame off and redo the bedding butylene sealant tape.  You can also get that from Amazon.

If the water is coming in from the spoiler, some 4" Eternabond tape can be used to seal the top and sides of the spoiler.  Leave the bottom open for condensation to drain.  There are a number of posts on this topic that you can find in the archives.  Be sure to expand your search to go back a year or two.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
D&H View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 12:37pm
Hi Isabelisa! Sorry to hear about the leak. We were camping last weekend as well, also in the same heavy rain and experienced a bit of interior moisture on the windows when we woke up in the morning from condensation. The end result was the same. The condensation on the back window pooled in the window well and poured out onto the back bed when we moved the camper. Not sure if the same happened to you but something you might try is using a garden to find the leak. Start at the bottom of the rear window first, then each side individually, then the top. I would suspect if there is a leak, it would present itself when applying a bit of pressurized water around the seams of the window. 

As far as $1,750 to repair all the seals... It sounds like you just have a potential issue with one. I would inspect the remaining seals. If the other seals are good then I might ask for some help with just that one window. I wouldn't think it would be more than an hour of shop time to apply a new seal to the rear window. That might be closer $200. Glass or marine shops should also be able to do the work and might be cheaper.
2017 R-Pod 182G Hood River
2017 Tundra TRD Crew Max 5.7L V8
isabelisa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 4:26am
It rained for the past three days and no leaks while parked. I think i will just avoid driving when it is raining.
2013 Rpod 177/slide out
2019 Honda Pilot EX-L
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:31am
More reason to suspect spoiler. Those leaks can be really tricky. When my spoiler leaked the only indication I got was floor of trailer on the bottom, at very rear of trailer was wet. I was installing back-up lights when I found floor soaked.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tibof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 6:34pm
Spoiler leak is notorious (as per dealer).  Expect no help from mfg.,though it is a known defect.   Best repair requires removal of spoiler and use of proper sealer.  Short of that, use Dicor all around it after thorough cleaning of old sealant.  don't attempt silicon sealer!  Problem is screw holes of spoiler leak as does hole under it for the running lights in it.  If you decide to do complete repair, contact me for more details.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 8:04pm
With my spoiler, when I removed it to check, I found that the screws had not been adequately sealed as I saw from the corrosion. However the wires had been very well sealed so there were no leaks. I had pulled it off to re-seal it where it had lifted up between the screws. When it went to the factory, the curved spoiler was replaced with the straight one that appears to be made from a stiffer plastic and has not lifted the same way. I have not had any leaks. I have not removed it to verify that the wires had been sealed again, but not having any leaks is a positive sign.

Part of the problem is that the spoiler had a foam pad running along the edge for sealing. When it was screwed down, the screws pulled those places down, compressing the foam. Between though, the foam was pushing the plastic up. It needed some reinforcing to spread the force more evenly over the spoiler's edges. Dicor is a patch that helps unless it is compromised. If the bottom edge is totally sealed, then any water that gets in at the top edge is trapped. That is why the front and sides need to be well sealed and the back/bottom edge should have a gap for drainage, much like the weep slots in the windows.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 9:54pm
I don't think it is the foam gasket that made the spoiler lift between the screws, it is the stupid black colour makes the spoiler hot and  the spoiler buckle.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>