R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod 192

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod 192
    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Colt

The sticker on my 180 says 2749 dry weight.  After adding sheets and towels, cleaning supplies, dishes and pots for 2, a tiny bit of food, water, sewer and electric hook-ups, a bottle jack and lug wrench and battery and propane (all with a keen eye for minimizing weight), my 180 weighs 3122 pounds. Its options and I added 350 pounds with the minimum stuff, except for the bottle of wine and bourbon, to be ready to hit the road.  I will argue with you about the beverages.  ;-)    .  

Considering that 50 lbs of that is the water sitting in the water heater, you're doing really well. To compare, my 179 comes in at around 3700. I always have  250 lbs of water and dual batteries so that explains about 320 lbs. The 179 is also a bit heavier supposedly than the 180, and I have a "real" mattress, so add another hundred or so. I'm still a couple hundred pounds heavier. I haven't ever fully emptied the trailer to compare my dry wt to FR's spec but I suspect it is heavier than they claim. 

I'm not a fan of bourbon but as long as you don't ingest it as part of getting ready to hit the road you won't get an argument from me. Tongue
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
flryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:36pm
The Dana 44 has been in various full size pick up trucks over the years and is now also in the Gladiator which is rated to tow up to 4500 lbs.  So I don't think it is the rear axle that gives a Wrangler the limitations in towing ratings.
Dan
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by flryder

I wonder why the Grand Cherokee has a higher tow rating  and payload rating?

Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples...

Check in your owners manual to see if the ratings are SAE J2807 ratings, and if possible, do the same for the other vehicle. 

Maybe they aren't rated under the same standards, or maybe no standard test condition is used at all for either or both. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 7:08pm
flryder,

Actually rear axle ratio has a considerable effect on tow capacity. Most manufacture's stay around 355 to balance fuel economy and tow capacity. So the lower the number the better economy, the higher ratio better tow capacity. Most folks when shopping fail to consider axle ratios. I always try to average economy and towing.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 10:55pm
It's actually printed as 3.55, three decimal five five, but of course pronounced verbally as three-fifty-five.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 6:28am
By rear axle I meant the rear suspension system as a whole. Could be the springs.Take a look at the door stickers, that will tell the tale.

In the end it doesn't really matter. This is a place where the manufacturer's spec will prevail, however they got to it. You can of course always do whatever you want, its your vehicle, but if you exceed the manufacturer's ratings and have a wreck towing, an argument that this jeep should be like that jeep because this or that component is the same as on this other model won't get you very far in court. You might never make it out of debtor's prison after the lawsuits. Star
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 8:02am
As ususual, OG is an optimist.  

Knowingly towing beyond a vehicle's capacity in some states is a violation of their vehicle codes and if there was an accident, there could also be criminal penalties; in the event of a fatality, even a vehicular manslaughter charge.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 8:13am
LA, I wasn't being an optimist, I just figured I'd leave the criminal penalty assessment to you. you know much more about it than I do. Tongue

Point is, towing too much trailer with too little TV comes with high motivation because there is a lot of money involved in doing it right.   That's a slippery slope many folks have gone down to their sorrow. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 8:57am
OG, when I said you were an optimist, I was trying to be ironic.  I guess I should have used an emoji for clarity.  

We certainly agree that towing beyond a vehicle's weight capacity is dangerous on many fronts.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 9:10am
Yeah, I figured. I'm the guy who would have shorted Tesla stock at $200 'cept I don't have money for that sorta stuff. Embarrassed
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>