Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe blow out trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The blow out trip
    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 4:26pm
https://www.parts-express.com/express-seal-(16-14)-weatherproof-butt-splice-connector-10-pcs--095-912   ?
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Colt

Only 'cause you couldn't buy something lighter?  :-)

Touche Colt!  In fact I sold a 13' Scamp and bought this R-Pod.  I"m not sorry I did that and knew there would be other challenges.  I moved further forward just today as I drove to a CAT scale and weighed everything in.  I am in fact within my limits for everything tho maybe just a little light on the tongue actually for better stability.  I did have about a 2/3 full fresh water tank when I weighed which is not out of the question for our weekend trips.  I'll be doing a little bit of moving from the back to the front for our standard transport load from here on.  If I stick with the tires I have, I'll likely be just changing out the tires on a fairly regular basis now just as preventative maintenance.  When I decide to replace them next will be when I decide if I am going all in for the lift kit and the larger rims/tires, or just doing a load range D 14" for the next run.

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback and guidance. I couldn't seem to find any 3M 5200 anywhere locally so as usual I fell back to Amazon and just got the email that it shipped.  With any luck, I should have all of the repairs done by the time we pull out for an overnight on Saturday.
Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Colt

https://www.parts-express.com/express-seal-(16-14)-weatherproof-butt-splice-connector-10-pcs--095-912   ?

No not exactly.  I have some like these in my normal stock actually.  The factory ones looked like this and the wires all enter the same side and you would use basically a normal set of pliers to make the connection, strip the wires and seal the whole deal.

Update: well I can't find the photo I took.  It looks a lot like the scotch lock connectors the phone company used to use back in the day but larger and for larger wire.  I'll look for a photo and post it as soon as I can locate it.  Update X2: Found the picture I was looking for, which ain't great.  Maybe post another better one tomorrow. 

Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:44am
Hard to tell what that is but it looks like a wet location wirenut. Those are used for home wiring in wet locations and are gel filled. You can get them  at your local big box. I wouldn't use those though on a vehicle because they are twisted on and the vibration could work them loose. Just because FR uses something that doesn't mean its the best approach. They use a lot of "insulation displacement" connectors and those are terrible.  They save them time in the factory, that's why they use them.

Properly installed heat shrink adhesive filled butt splices are a better solution. Just be sure they are crimped  correctly before you heat them. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:30pm
If you have the 16 inch rims , I would certainly consider a light truck tire.
Swampfox
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:42pm
I am replacing my 178 Hood River Edition with these tomorrow, very close to the same specs as stock.  
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w/p/26501

poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Toyanvil

I am replacing my 178 Hood River Edition with these tomorrow, very close to the same specs as stock.  http://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w/p/26501

Load rating seems a little low Big smile

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by jimandclare

Regarding the mounting of a replacement fender, below is a screen capture of a Youtube video of an rpod factory tour showing the plywood panel in the side wall where the fenders are mounted.

Thank you I am so glad you posted this.  I just went out and tried to size up the new fenders to the old mounting area and they do not match.  If I put the front and rear edges of the replacement fenders even with the bottom edge of the camper floor, the apex sticks up a good 1.5 inches above where you can clearly see the old one was mounted.  I"m guessing that it is no going to make that much difference since it looks like there is plenty of wood behind the entire area and the apex is still about 3 inches under the bottom of the slider.  On the door size, I will just put the fender between the two rails for the r-dome skirt and that's where it will mount.  It is centered on the tire at that point.  Bottom line is this.  I just need to fill the old holes as for the most part I will be making new ones for the new fenders. =)

Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by jimandclare

Regarding the mounting of a replacement fender, below is a screen capture of a Youtube video of an rpod factory tour showing the plywood panel in the side wall where the fenders are mounted.

It looks like I'll be making new holes as the fenders they sent me are a little taller than the ones that came off of my 2016 RP178.  Not so much so that I will be off-wood but new holes will be better.  I'm guessing I can fill the old holes with the 3M 5200 and be fine with just that?  I planned on putting some on the threads when I ran in the new screws but I'm not sure I need that since the holes will be fresh also.  

Well Hmmmm.  I have a 3rd photo to post.  It shows up in my file manager after having uploaded it like 5 times and not seeing it in the left side of the add image dialog, but it doesn't show up in the add image dialog... so I don't know what to do to get it here.

Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 4:39pm
Sure, if you just run a bead of 5200 over the mating surface that should seal the holes fine. Clean things up first of course. That fender isn’t coming off after that, not without taking the Fiberglas with it anyway...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>