R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Something killing the battery everything appears
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSomething killing the battery everything appears - Event Date: 10 Jun 2020 - 13 Jun 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Something killing the battery everything appears
    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 1:40pm
Hi I have 2016 r pod. I have replaced 3 batteries because something is killing each battery with just the rpod sitting in my driveway with everything off. No lights kn. Fridge off. Everything is off. Just sitting and battery is completely dead the next day. Can someone help?
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 1:53pm
A couple of things to look at:  There are a few things that draw electricity.  Your gas and smoke detectors, Radio inadvertently left on, water pump and water heater switch.  I cant imagine any of these things draining your battery overnight though.

The electric switch on your actual water heater is 110 only, so that should not be a factor.

My first thought is that you have a short somewhere in the system between your battery and the converter.

I am sure someone with more knowledge of the systems will jump on here soon,
Swampfox
Erinschmidt_44 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 1:56pm
Yeah all of those things are off.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 1:57pm
How about the pin for the breakaway brake system, it might have got pulled out?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:00pm
Actually, everything is not off.  The radio/clock, CO/propane detector and the 'fridge controls are always on.  I have a battery disconnect switch and that is enough to protect the battery from full discharge.  I also have a 25 watt solar panel and charge controller to prevent the battery from self-discharging. 

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-1162-Charger-Controller/dp/B004Q820UK

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-Solar-Panel-Module-Charging/dp/B01IFJ73X4

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ

I suspect the panel is enough to keep the battery up with all of the dark current on, but I haven't tested it. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:01pm
Hello and welcome!

Two things are happening. First is that lead-acid batteries self-discharge even if nothing is drawing power. That would take some time though since you say it seems to be happening quickly.

Second is that there are always power draws. This can't be helped. First is that there is the CO/LP detector. It is hard-wired in so it can't be disconnected. That is a safety thing. Have you checked the booster for the TV antenna? Make sure that is switched off as it will draw power when turned on. The thermostat and refrigerator panel also draw a small amount of current, even when turned off. There are probably others I have not mentioned. Since yours is a 2016 (same as mine), I know it did not come with USB outlets unless you installed them. You already said your refrigerator was turned completely off. It is hard to imagine anything with sufficient power drain that would kill a good battery overnight if everything possible is truely shut off.

You could leave the RPod plugged in to an outlet. 15A will do if all you want to do is let the converter keep the battery charged. If that is not possible, then you either need to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery or install a battery cut-off switch so that the battery can be completely disconnected. Other steps you can take are to go to the DC side of your converter (charge the battery first). Pull the DC fuses. Check to see if pulling the fuses eliminates any power drains. It helps to have a clamp-on DC ammeter. One at a time, replace fuses in their original locations. If you see the meter jump to a higher power use when you do so, you will narrow down places/items to check.

I hope you can figure this out. It must be frustrating, not to mention expensive to have to replace batteries. If you have been letting the RPod sit with the battery connected for any length of time and the battery did run down, you may charge it but it may not be holding a charge. A very deep discharge can damage a battery. Any time it will be sitting unattended and without being plugged in, the battery needs to be disconnected, either with a cut-off switch or by removing the negative terminal (for safety and to avoid possibly making huge sparks.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:03pm
Where is that at?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:06pm
Where is that?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:06pm
There breakaway is the cable that you hook to the tow vehicle. On the trailer end it is connected to a pin in a little box. If the pin is pulled out your battery will energize your trailer brakes until the batter goes dead  or you put the pin back. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:12pm
Its on the tongue
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>