R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171 - Mod - Dual Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171 - Mod - Dual Battery
    Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:58pm
We do alot of Dry Camping and seem to run low on power, so we pulled the single battery out and bought 2 12 Volt Batteries.  They are the Deka DC24 Battery.   We also picked up some 4 gauge battery wires already made ane another battery box.

Our Parts:

The batteries:

I Made sure to drill holes in the bottom of the box to allow water to drain

Placed the two boxes and batteries on the frame:

Wired the batteries in Parallel and hooked up a switch to shut off the pack:

Dressed up all the wires and closed them up :

Connecting in Parallel
When connecting in Parallel you are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries. Use a jumper wire between the positives of both batteries and another jumper wire between the negatives of both batteries. Connect your positive and negative wires to the same battery to run to your application.

Important notes: When connecting batteries in a pack there are some important things to keep in mind - - Find out the requirements of your application. For example: Don't double the capacity on your Power Wheels vehicle if you're not supposed to...you could burn up the engine. Follow the recommended guidelines for your application. - Don't use two different chemistries when connecting a pack. Usually the voltages will be different, but more importantly the charge rates will be different and the capacities may be different, thus resulting in a shortened life span. - Try to match capacities as much as possible. When connecting batteries in a pack you should try to match the capacities as much as possible to avoid discharging one battery quicker than another. A pack operates at a combined voltage so your one cell that discharges quicker will likely discharge deeper than it may be able to recover from.

popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 10:28pm
Great post.  I'm saving this one to reference later should we start some serious dry camping.
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 7:54am
 I had 4 Deka DC31s in 2 banks of 2 on my boat. The older bank was 8 years old when I sold the boat and just starting to show some signs of aging. Great batteries. Not cheap though.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 9:46am
I live very close to East Penn's Manufacturing plant and they have a second's store there.  I went up and picked them both up at a great price.  I had an older Deka battery we used for over 10 years with our popup and I abused that one big time.  The sad thing is that the batterry I removed was another brand that was only 1 1/2 years old and it was already starting to fail.  I do have a solar charger/maintainer hooked to them as the camper is in storage.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 2:49pm
Does the on board charger handle both batteries?

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 9:45pm
The charger should maintain the batteries asa it is in storage but will not be enough as we are using it.  I also shut down the camper while it is in storage so the charger given enough time would charge them.  I hook into power when I get home and charge the battery before shutting down everything.
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 4:48pm
Getting ready for this weekend I went over to the camper and went to turn on the lights and there was nothing.  Thinking I forgot to turn off the battery switch I went and grabbed the battery charger to find out both batteries were fully charged.  Turned out to be a cheap switch I used went bad.  Hoping to have that switched by the weekend.  Moral of the story - you get what you pay for. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 8:31pm
Just make sure your batteries aren't paralleled like the diagram above shows (very bottom).  The negative take-off should be on the right battery so the draw is equal from both batteries.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:36pm
ok had to think and reread several times what you were saying.  What you did mean is on the 2 batteries from the camper hook the positive to one battery and the negative from the other battery.  then run two jumper cables between each battery from positive to positive and negative to negative.  Correct?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 9:18pm
Yes.  The idea is to get the length of each run (- and +) equal.  The paralleled batteries above have a longer run to the battery on the right so they won't charge or discharge the same as the battery on the left.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>