R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Floor Collapse -wet floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Junkinpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Collapse -wet floor
    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 9:04pm

2014 182g with a floor that has collapsed on the slide side.  I’m hoping to learn how to repair this issue.  I've visited 2 local shops - one wants to put plywood on top and that all (doesn't address the structural issue) and the 2nd said its not repairable.  HELP!!!  

After noticing the wall was dropping, I removed the flooring and discovered that the entire floor was wet.  The floor on the slide-out side appears to be collapsing.  On the slide side (from slide to rear corner) the floor is collapsing 1-2" and it appears that the wall has shifted down with it. The floor starts slanting down along the lines of the steel frame under the floor.  Is there not a picture type aluminum frame in the floor??? Can the outer frame of the floor collapse?  I also noticed a small bulge in the outside wall between the pop-out and the back hatch.    I've had the axle checked and was assured that it was fine. 

I have no idea how the water has entered my trailer. I'm guessing that it came in around the slide. I see not signs of water on the walls.   I'm struggling to attached photos ... will keep trying. Any ideas how to fix this????  How do we lift the wall/floor and re-stabilize it?  

Love my RPod - but afraid its not going anywhere until this is repaired.  I contacted FR as they have repaired some floors under warranty (even on older units) - but was told the issue was due to water damage therefore no warranty coverage.  

Thanks!

Belinda
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 6:08am
Wow! That's a project and can see why they past on it.. The cost for them to do this is far beyond the value of the unit, labor wise. Now, you (or someone willing) it can be worth the effort.

Your going to need to lift the cabin just above normal height. The issue here is where the joists (crossbeams) actually are (someone here has a picture from the factory), I suspect at the corners of the slide-out. Then how much floor panel needs to be replaced to regain structural integrity. Best I could tell (drilling holes) the floor is a layup of plywood and foam (kinda S.I.P. panel). 

Shooting from the hip, I'd be thinking of raising the wall and welding outriggers off the frame to hold the wall in place. Frame is thin steel, so having a good welder do this is a must (and may require sistering a plate on first). Doing this you may then be able to replace the floor in the area.

All gets revealed as you open up and start removing damaged material. 

I do hope you have/know someone capable of assisting nearby. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:30am
You can see the rpod construction here. might help you get oriented. Anything is possible but you'll need to decide if you feel that you want to put in the effort to save the trailer. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:05am
Sadly, this looks more like a disposal problem than a repair problem.  You could easily sink twice the value of a comparable trailer into trying to fix it and may not end up with a satisfactory repair.  Effectively it would be a little like lifting a house to try and replace both the foundation and the floor.  It can be done, but at what cost?  

Best of luck in trying to resolve this awful problem.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:06am
For some reason that link isn't work for me.. This one did though..

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:58am
Looks like I copied the link wrong. Fixed now. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Sadly, this looks more like a disposal problem than a repair problem.  You could easily sink twice the value of a comparable trailer into trying to fix it and may not end up with a satisfactory repair.  Effectively it would be a little like lifting a house to try and replace both the foundation and the floor.  It can be done, but at what cost?  

Best of luck in trying to resolve this awful problem.  

I belong to a Build Group and am on my second build (first real deal). This is far from a disposal, if you have the ability. I'd be happy to take it off their hands, but I'd feel like I did them a dis-service..  You wish to have a peek, follow the link in the signature.

To the folks that own the trailer, follow the link, join the group and learn how to do the deed. Some very good builders over there that are happy to share. 

Haven't heard from the OP in a bit.. How are you doing? 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Junkinpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Junkinpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:35pm
Thank you for the insight.  I have 2 sons - one wants to ditch it fast and the second is willing to help mom fix her trailer.  Thankfully the second one is a welder by trade and knows of a shop he believes can do the welding to add the supports.  Sounds like I need to make the dive and start removing flooring to see the amount of damage ....ouch... will keep you posted.  thanks for the reply.  Belinda
Belinda
Junkinpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Junkinpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:42pm
Thanks for the reply.  I have 2 sons who are going to "help" mom get her Rpod back on the road.  One says ditch it - as is - and quick, the other is willing to assist with the repair.  Thankfully my youngest is a welder by trade and knows of a shop he says can help as I've shown him the extra supports added by others.  It's way beyond my skill or ability.  I've watched every video and picture of RPod construction... at this point I feel that I have no real choice but to dig and start breaking up the floor.  I will post an update as I go.  Thanks for your input.  
Belinda
Junkinpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Junkinpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:12pm
Now inspired by what I have seen of your projects!  Thanks for sharing the link Olddawgsrule .  

Belinda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>