R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Floor Collapse -wet floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cocared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Collapse -wet floor
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm
Hi, I was wondering if I could get your opinion? We just bought a 15 178 from a private owner and just discovered there must have been a leak. We can not locate the leak yet but we have found the whole underbelly wet, some areas super soft and wet. In your opinion, is this salvageable? Thank you in advance! We started removing the black cover to let the wood dry out.
2015 Rpod 178
Junkinpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Junkinpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:06pm
I removed all of the flooring first.  I have not opened up the underbelly yet, but I assume that this is a step that I will have to do.  My floor was always soft in front of the sink/bathroom - but had no idea how bad the floor was until I saw that the wall and floor had dropped.  I believe the water came in around the slide on mine - but will post more as I start to work on it.  Sorry you have had this experience - how frustrating.  
Belinda
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 4:45am
The floor is a composite of foam insulation with plywood on top, then the finish floor.  The whole trailer is built on top of that. The structural strength is in the plywood, so if that becomes saturated and delaminates then you have a problem. If its still intact then you can probably just dry things out and be fine. If its delaminated and soft in some areas but not sagging then you can probably repair it by adding another layer of plywood over top, cut out to fit around the walls and cabinets, and glue and screw it down. 

The first step either way is to find the leak, fix that, and get the trailer dried out. Open up the bottom so the moisture can get out of the foam, and remove the finish floor in any areas where the plywood is wet and get some warm dry air blowing on it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 7:25am
Originally posted by Junkinpod

I removed all of the flooring first.  I have not opened up the underbelly yet, but I assume that this is a step that I will have to do.  My floor was always soft in front of the sink/bathroom - but had no idea how bad the floor was until I saw that the wall and floor had dropped.  I believe the water came in around the slide on mine - but will post more as I start to work on it.  Sorry you have had this experience - how frustrating.  

I'd get that outside wall jacked up and some jack stands under the wall. I would span the length in question with another support (I'd use some sq stock steel I have around) and at least a couple jacks (I would use my 3 bottle jacks) once up support with the jack stands. I won't do much messing around till that is supported, never know what else can occur. 

A 2016 video shows a 2" sq stock aluminum floor frame. It will be interesting to learn if it's on yours and if it goes to the outside wall. My belief is it's a composite 'on' frame and explains the dropping away.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Junkinpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Junkinpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 9:28am
See new post - Broken welds on floor joist to see what I've discovered after removing the flooring.  
Belinda
Teck2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Teck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:59pm
We are having the same problem with our R-pod 182g right now. Were you able to fix the floor?
AlistairF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlistairF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 11:53am
Anyone ever do a step-by-step guide/video to how to replace their R-Pod floor?

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 4:06pm
Seems to me that a full floor replacement's cost in labor and material would exceed the fair market value of almost every rPod in need of such a drastic repair.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Seems to me that a full floor replacement's cost in labor and material would exceed the fair market value of almost every rPod in need of such a drastic repair.  

+1  I would speak with your insurance company and see what options there are.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12