R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: How much towing capacity would I need for a 193?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow much towing capacity would I need for a 193?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much towing capacity would I need for a 193?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 12:52pm
We have an RPod 179 and my tow vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Highlander with a 5000 lb towing capacity.  This works great.  

I love the 179!  But I've got 6 & 8 year olds and having them share the dinette bed (we call it the tetris bed because underneath is a bunch of pillows you have to carefully arrange into a rectangle) is getting increasingly unsustainable.  It's uncomfortable and cramped even for the children, and they fight about sharing the small space.  

So, looking ahead to the next couple of years, I have kind of fallen for the new 193 based on its floorplan -- it has bunk beds and also a queen murphy bed -- so kids would have separate beds and no tetris would be needed for anyone! 

But it's huge!  It's 600 lbs heavier than the 179.  I don't think I could safely tow it with the Highlander, right?  I guess I'd buy a truck . . . what would be the minimum tow capacity I'd need for the 193 (UVW listed at 3654 lbs.), do you think?  Got a favorite tow vehicle in that range you'd recommend?  

It's kind of a fantasy right now, but I'm indulging in it, apparently!  Thx

Ruth

p.s. Also curious about any 193 reviews!  I've not yet seen one in person.  
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:36pm
Hard question to answer. Depends what your normal towing conditions are,  mountainous, flat lands, etc.. I tow a 195 (3500 lbs) with a Nissan Frontier. It pulls just fine so far. I would rate it as a good "little of this, little of that" truck. It can get you through just about any situation, but if you drive in the mountains all the time, maybe want something bigger. I can say that I would definitely say for me, the Frontier gets it done with a little to spare. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:46pm
I have the same rig you do, Highlander and 179. As you say its fine but personally I would not tow anything heavier with the Highlander. 

When picking a tow vehicle its best to go by gross trailer weight not UWV.  As an example, the Highlander is rated at 5000 and the GTW of a 179 is 3800, so there is 1200 lbs for stuff in the SUV and to have a safety margin. 

The GTW for the 193 is 5000. For 4 people and stuff and safety factor add about 1500.   I think you're looking at a tow vehicle with a rating of around 6500 lbs or more. Doesn't need to be a pickup if you like SUV's. A Sequoia will easily do it, as would a Tahoe. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 4:06pm
We use a Ford Expedition EL(extra length). It has the same basic frame, engine, transmission etc as the ford F150 pickup, but much more interior space. It has more than adequate tow capacity as well as plenty of room for people and extra gear.  We have used it for 2 different R Pods(173 and 179) and love it. I'm sure it would tow your choice of R Pods without a problem. when/if it dies, I will gladly replace it with another Ford Expedition.
I'm sure there are other large SUV type vehicles that are similar-GM, Dodge and Chevy also make the same size/type vehicles as well.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by ruthalaska

We have an RPod 179 and my tow vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Highlander with a 5000 lb towing capacity.  This works great.  

I love the 179!  But I've got 6 & 8 year olds and having them share the dinette bed (we call it the tetris bed because underneath is a bunch of pillows you have to carefully arrange into a rectangle) is getting increasingly unsustainable.  It's uncomfortable and cramped even for the children, and they fight about sharing the small space.  

So, looking ahead to the next couple of years, I have kind of fallen for the new 193 based on its floorplan -- it has bunk beds and also a queen murphy bed -- so kids would have separate beds and no tetris would be needed for anyone! 

But it's huge!  It's 600 lbs heavier than the 179.  I don't think I could safely tow it with the Highlander, right?  I guess I'd buy a truck . . . what would be the minimum tow capacity I'd need for the 193 (UVW listed at 3654 lbs.), do you think?  Got a favorite tow vehicle in that range you'd recommend?  

It's kind of a fantasy right now, but I'm indulging in it, apparently!  Thx

Ruth

p.s. Also curious about any 193 reviews!  I've not yet seen one in person.  
Are you handy sewing? If so, consider doing the mod I did for our 179. I made a base which slides out and ditched the curved and small cushions. I then made two rectangular cushions. When everything is set up, it makes a 3/4 width (45") bed. I found 3/4 width sheets on Amazon.

The way my platform extension is built, it has a lip to hold the cushions in place. If you can't sew the cushions, then perhaps you could find a shop that could make them for you. It would cost far less than a new trailer and might let you use your 179 for a few more years while you save up for the larger tow vehicle to tow the largeer trailer.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm
One thing to consider.. this camping thing seems to be a thing with your family.. if buying a new tow vehicle.. you might consider future proofing the purchase, by buying plenty of truck now, so in 5 years when the kids are even bigger, and want to bring friends, you don't need to (hopefully) worry about buying a bigger trailer AND truck.
 Post Reply Post Reply