R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBathroom pocket door

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bathroom pocket door
    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:03pm
I attached the bigger, more robust plates to the top of the door with fatter screws, and so far so good.  I would recommend that anyone with a Pod that has a pocket door and the same flimsy attachment plates do the same.  You can see where the OEM plate on the left snapped off under the influence of southern Colorado washboard roads.

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:57am
I had a few pocket doors in houses and have enjoyed them.  No troubles with them.  Using ultra-light parts in an RV doesn't seem like a good idea.  
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:47am
I bought the hardware referenced in my above post and it turns out that the plates and attachment screws are significantly larger and more robust than the originals, but look like they'll attach to the door just fine.  Keeping my fingers crossed that this will solve the problem.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
ChesterP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:13pm
You are right about the weight of the door. A lot of overkill for a bathroom door. I could "almost" understand it if towing over rough roads, but it was all interstate for me. So just a normal, smooth road was too much for it. I think I'm gonna glue a thin strip of hard wood on the top of it where the mounting fixtures attach (I have no idea how I'm gonna clamp it - maybe small nails)) then drill the two holes for each fixture into that instead of the soft composite wood of the door.
JR
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:48am
Originally posted by ChesterP

Is anyone else with a 195 or 196 having issues with the pocket door hinge screws stripping out?...

Timely post.  We took our 2020.5 195  on a trip to southern Colorado this past weekend, and tortured it on 14 miles of gravel (washboard in places) on CR 520 south of Badito (look it up) heading to LaVeta.  One pocket door screw pulled out and the metal plate attached to the other support snapped, probably due to having to support most of the weight of the door after the screw attaching the other plate pulled out.

The entire assembly can be seen here, with the plates I'm talking about below the three-wheeled unit that sits in the track that is screwed into the ceiling and much of which is inaccessible as it extends into the "pocket" (which renders my first thought at a repair impossible, namely adding maybe three more wheeled assemblies to distribute the door's weight among more support points).

I'm going to try fixing it by getting new plates and longer, more robust screws and maybe adding washers.  If that fails I'll try one of the methods mentioned above.

I also note that the door is relatively heavy; maybe a lighter door would mitigate this issue, as would staying off washboard.  Maybe.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 2:32pm
The problem with pocket doors is that the tracks are not accessible without cutting into the wall. So, regardless of the quality or the hardware and installation, in the end they are not very maintainable. If you have drywall then its not too bad but if you have some other kind of wall material that will never be the same if you have to cut into it then you've got a problem. I just don't like them and find that bifolds can usually solve door clearance issues without the maintainability issues.

Just my opinion. I don't like drywall either. Disapprove
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Penjack View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:44pm
Had the same issue on my 192. It was a PITA to fix, but it’s all good now.
2020 192
2018 Toyota Highlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:03am
My 195 doesn't have a pocket door. Must be the 2021 model. I have a normal opening door. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
ChesterP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:00am
Thank you. That is exactly what I will do. I'm pretty sure I can get to everything with the door in place, just angled out slightly. I cant believe such a terrible design (mounting hardware, not the door) got approved for production.
JR
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 4:44pm
On these types of doors in a trailer, the trick is to remove the screws from the door then glue a hardwood dowel into the original screw hole.  If it is not a perfect fit, tap in some round toothpicks (also hardwood).  Be sure to glue the tooth picks also.  Works every time and will last for a very long time.
You can also enlarge the screw hole to 3/8” and use a 3/8” dowel, then insert your screw directly into the hardwood.
Swampfox
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>