R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 battery install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 battery install
    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 5:10pm
While installing the battery, I must have hooked up the 4 wires coming out of the front wiring harness incorrectly. Had 2 red wires (one large and one small) attached to positive terminal and 2 white wires (one large and one small) attached to the negative terminal.  While the Rpod was plugged into the garage’s 110 volt, the battery started to over heat and expel fumes. 

Appreciate any instructions regarding the correct wiring configuration and whether there might be other electrical. 

2016 179 Rpod

Tks. 
Gary & Julie
2016 Rpod 179
2010 Toyota Highlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:10pm
red to + and white to - should be correct. Are you sure the battery is overheating? Its normal for a fully charged battery to produce some hydrogen gas. The converters are set up to do that so that the battery electrolyte gets mixed. That's why you have to add distilled water occasionally.

If the battery really is overheating, what I'd suggest is to disconnect the battery, plug into the 110Vac circuit, and check the voltage and polarity on the disconnected wires at the battery end. Don't let either loose wire touch the frame of the trailer. The converter should be trying to charge the battery so you should see 13V-14Vdc there. In case there is something wrong with the converter itself and it is putting out too much voltage and causing the battery to overheat I'd suggest pulling all the other fuses in the distribution panel first as well. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply