R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBroken Welds on Floor Joists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Welds on Floor Joists
    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 11:19pm
I believe that as the floor dropped, the back hatch on that side leaked as it didn't close properly when the side dropped.  The slide would have changed position too... - it really looks like the worst water damage is around the slide.  The entire wall on the slide side has dropped 1-2" - noticeable even within the wheel well, the tire is closer to the fender.  There are no water marks on the walls or ceiling.  
Belinda
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 11:33pm
It's time to send this trailer to trailer heaven.  It's got a NADA value of about US$11,000 if in good condition.  There is no way it can be fixed, at least by other than do it yourselfers, for less than the fair market value.  

Tars, you're right about the sale date, I don't always retain every detail of every post and forgot about that.  After owning the trailer for 5 years, it would be impossible to prove that this condition was anything other than lack of proper maintenance during that time.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:15am
OK so the side dropping opened a gap in either the garage or slide or both where water got in? If so one would think that there should be water damage in the wall areas of the trailer where the gaps were created, but you're saying there is no water damage  at all other than in the flooring? 

Its a bit of a chicken or egg question on the aluminum framing vs the plywood in the flooring. Both are contributing structurally to the rigidity of the floor. Creating a composite structural sandwich is how they are able to make them so light.   Its not like the floor does nothing but sit on the framing or vice versa.    

So if the water got into the wood floor first and weakened it the welds breaking could be because the flooring lost any strength and the welds were overloaded.  The fact that you didn't notice any gaps from the floor dropping until last year at which point the floor was wet would support that argument. It could also be argued that regardless of when the gaps occurred, you were negligent in not noticing them and addressing the leakage before the floor damage became severe. 

I'm just being the devil's advocate here. Besides the warranty limitations others have addressed its pretty easy to come up with counter arguments to your assertion as to what the root cause if the failure was. I agree with LA's recommendation, time to either move on or get into a really serious DIY project.

If you do decide to throw in the towel, consider recovering some value by selling salvaged components from the trailer. The Dometic circuit boards for example are apparently made from some kind of unobtanium so I'm sure you could eventually get some $$ for them. Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:45am
It isn't only RPods that are subject to this happening. We know someone who lives near us who has a much larger trailer (I don't know the brand) that had a similar problem of the wall dropping. I don't know if the cause was the same, but he was in much the same situation of whether it could be repaired or not.

In this case, it looks like  a whole new floor would be needed. That is not something that would be easy as the trailer would have to be essentially deconstructed down to the bare floor to fix/replace it, then reconstructed. See any of the videos of the construction at the factory to see what that involves. I think it is too big a project unless one has essentially a factory space to do the work and the tools and expertise to tackle a job like this. Consider this one totaled, take whatever insurance money offered (if any) or do as Offgrid suggested and sell of parts to at least get some return.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 1:45pm
I can tell you without a doubt, those welds are absolutely no good. On one photo, you can see there was zero penetration on the floor joist. It was a cold weld and not up to standards. I would pursue that with forest river for sure. Get a weld shop to write you an opinion on that weld, they will know just looking at it it was a cold torch. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 3:07pm
I do agree the welds are bad and if you watch the video I posted you will see how quick they pass on each. It's an end-game.. just means someone with aluminum welding experience needs to come in.

I still say add the out riggers from the frame to the outside wall. I suggest this to anyone who owns an rPod (previous issues or not). Not all that hard to do and great insurance! So many other things ya'll will do, but wonder how many may this..

Belinda, this is good news! You now know why this happened structure wise and how easy it is to fix! Is there recurse, on anyone, I doubt it.. I would push Forest River, which will push it to Lippert (who makes the frames), yet would go ahead and repair it. They will jump back and forth for several months and truly waste you time. Busting them on this is still worth the effort! It could benefit others down the line.

A good MIG guy/gal can handle this without issue. Same person, t would be  breeze for the outrigger supports. Seal the leak (the source of this issue) and start replacing. You're on your way!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by lostagain

It's time to send this trailer to trailer heaven.  It's got a NADA value of about US$11,000 if in good condition.  There is no way it can be fixed, at least by other than do it yourselfers, for less than the fair market value.  

Tars, you're right about the sale date, I don't always retain every detail of every post and forgot about that.  After owning the trailer for 5 years, it would be impossible to prove that this condition was anything other than lack of proper maintenance during that time.

If this ever happens to you, give me a call. I'm come pick it up and get it off your hands. You give in way too easy...
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:36pm
I could be wrong, but at least based upon the videos from the FR factory, Lippert makes the chassis but not the floor structure.  The aluminum welding is by FR's employees.  And in fairness to the welders, they are not really given the time to do a workman like job.  

One can push FR to do something, but the chances of success under these circumstances, are slim to none.  Yes, you can pay some welding shop person write a letter and tell FR the welding was lousy, but if you think that will be persuasive to them, I've got a bridge I'll give you a good deal on.  To have a metallurgist examine the welds and write an "expert" opinion would be very costly.  The costs of convincing FR that they messed up would far exceed the fair market value of the trailer.  .... and that's before you even thought about bringing in the evil ones, .... the lawyers.

If Olddwawgsrule is wiling to take it off your hands and is willing to drive to beautiful Ontario, take him up on it.  It's far better option than having to pay a junk dealer to haul it away.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I can tell you without a doubt, those welds are absolutely no good. On one photo, you can see there was zero penetration on the floor joist. It was a cold weld and not up to standards. I would pursue that with forest river for sure. Get a weld shop to write you an opinion on that weld, they will know just looking at it it was a cold torch. 

Consider that the welds are probably only there to tack the aluminum frame together until the plywood is attached. I'm guessing that's why FR doesn't care how its welded. The plywood ties everything together. If its dry that works fine but if it gets wet then there is no structure left. Put another way, I'm not convinced the welds were the root cause of this problem, I think its more likely that the water intrusion happened first. Just my opinion. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 5:24am
Originally posted by offgrid

Originally posted by mjlrpod

Consider that the welds are probably only there to tack the aluminum frame together until the plywood is attached. I'm guessing that's why FR doesn't care how its welded. The plywood ties everything together. If its dry that works fine but if it gets wet then there is no structure left. Put another way, I'm not convinced the welds were the root cause of this problem, I think its more likely that the water intrusion happened first. Just my opinion. 

Oh come on now... Those welds are there to support the exterior wall, not the plywood. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>