R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpod door window

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: pod door window
    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 6:20pm

I've wanted to add a window to my 2016 172 for a while and have finally found someone I can hire for handyman work I can't do. I've reviewed the threads and shared them with him but the links to windows people have used seem out of date. I am thinking about this from https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/windows.html (which is also vintage technologies btw). I picked the "premium" one in part because the screen is removable.

I'm wondering if anyone has and thoughts (cautions?) 

Part Number: WDRV1422
14" Wide x 22" Tall Vertical Premium Window

Dark Glass
Black Extrusion
Removable Screen
Foam tape around window (no sealant needed)
Weep holes at bottom of window for drainage

Wall Thickness Clamp Ring Sizes
3/4", 7/8", 1-5/16", 1-3/4", 2", 2-3/16"
Price $ 144.39

14" x 22" x 1-1/2" Wall Clamp Ring****THIS ONE

Price $129.72

Cut Out 13-5/8" wide x 21-5/8" Tall
Outside Measurement 14-5/8" wide x 22-5/8" tall
Corner Radius 3-1/8"

Thanks in Advance, 

Julie
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 7:44pm
That's window I used, buy directly from them not from Amazon.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 7:45pm
Thanks, Mike.  I spoke with Frank today and will definitely buy directly from them.
Julie
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 7:57pm
Good guy, I have purchase repair parts from them, one seal came out, the window has been good.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:19am
We used the same window. the installation was easy and the parts were well made.
I would suggest that you tape the area on the outside and inside of the door where the window will be installed, then trace the cut out  before you actually cut the hole. the tape will hlp keep the edges smooth and not leave jagged edges. Measure twice, cut once
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:36am
Thanks Vann.  I have two more questions for those who've done this mod: 

1) is the tint really dark or the same as the other windows? I know some people like dark tint but to me it defeats the purpose of the window.

2) How have people solved the problem of occasionally needing a privacy option between window and screen door? It seems like it will be awkward to have a curtain or shade between them (making about 5 steps out of what would otherwise be one).

Julie
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:01am
Also, beside taping the cut area, cut from the inside. Mark and cut to the inside of the line as it is easier to then use a rotary rasp or file to enlarge the opening to the final size than to try to fill an opening that is too large. Use a fine-tooth blade and if you are using a jigsaw, make double sure the foot plate is tightly locked to keep the blade vertical. Take special care on the corners to go slow and make sure the blade stays vertical.

As for the darkness, it is not quite as dark as the other windows on ours but it is close. I did make a pair of curtains and use the very small cafe curtain holders (small round rods at top and bottom of the window to hold them. As you say, it is not as convenient, and I would prefer to have something like is on the other windows that could be lifted/lowered. It might be considered redundant to keep the screen door since the window has a screen, but there are times when it is nice to open the outside door and just have the screen there.

If you would consider another option, then consider putting in either the Lippert Thin Shade or the AP Products Thin Shade. Neither one would open, but you do have a convenient privacy option.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:11am
Thanks Stephen, I'll pass along all these suggestions to the carpenter doing the work.

I do leave the entire door open often and am always where there are bugs. The reason I chose this particular window is that the screen is removable and I suspect I'll eliminate the redundancy by not using the window screen.

I do want a window I can open for ventilation though. I'll futz around with some window covering options and if I come up with something I'll share. Thanks again, all.
Julie
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:37am
We used one of the Camco screen door cross bars to hang a curtain over our door window.  I got two of the bars and put one in the middle to use to with the screen door and one up near the top for the curtain.  The curtain rods we found for that application were flimsy and unsightly.  We also made some "blackout" curtains for all the other windows that can cover the blinds if there is a lot of light outside.  They are removable and are rolled up on their rods for storage.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 11:08am
Originally posted by lostagain

We used one of the Camco screen door cross bars to hang a curtain over our door window.  I got two of the bars and put one in the middle to use to with the screen door and one up near the top for the curtain.  The curtain rods we found for that application were flimsy and unsightly.  We also made some "blackout" curtains for all the other windows that can cover the blinds if there is a lot of light outside.  They are removable and are rolled up on their rods for storage.  
Pictures?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>