R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedfridge while driving?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: fridge while driving?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:49pm
The place we bought our r-pod from suggested pre-cooling our fridge with at home electrically.  What we can't remember is if what they said to do while driving.  Before we call them, I thought I would put it out to you all.  We were concerned about running it on propane while driving in case of a leak.  Any thought on this?
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:20pm
Many, many RVers travel quite safely with their fridge on propane.  Some of the larger TTs only have two options: 120v or LP.  Where I live, in Ontario, its perfectly legal (except at gas stations or in tunnels).  Of course, always check with local authorities along your route as other provinces or states may have slight differences in their regulations.

Personally, I turn the LP off and travel with the fridge on 12v.  Its more than adequate to the task.  Of course, the charge line on your bargman connector must be connected (its often not) and of an adequate gauge to power your fridge.  Otherwise, your fridge will significantly deplete your battery over the course of a day's travel.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:21pm
We pre cool our fridge before leaving for a trip using the 110 volt mode as our Pod is plugged into our house. Before leaving we switch the fridge to the battery mode. When plugged into your vehicle it keeps the battery charged as long as the motor is running. When we get to our campsite we switch to either propane or electricity, depending on available sources.
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:52pm
It isn't a good idea to travel with the LP running.  Precool it then switch to 12v as suggested.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Tamms View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Gerald

We pre cool our fridge before leaving for a trip using the 110 volt mode as our Pod is plugged into our house. Before leaving we switch the fridge to the battery mode. When plugged into your vehicle it keeps the battery charged as long as the motor is running. When we get to our campsite we switch to either propane or electricity, depending on available sources.
This is what Couch's told us also.
Tammy, Robert, & Linus the morkie (Two & a Half Nerds)
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 9:40pm
I usually load a couple of plastic wide-mouth bottles with ice cubes the day before I go on a trip to help cool down the frig, while it is plugged into my household outlet. If I don't need to totally fill
the frig with food, the ice bottles help regulate the interior temp on hot camping days...and
I also then have cubes available for drinks.
My Jeep Liberty had an automatic 12VDC disconnect on the Bargmann connector whenever
I shut off the engine to keep the frig from draining the Jeep's battery...but my new Chevy
pickup does not have an automatic shutoff, so I have to pull the connector whenever the truck
and the pod sit for a while.  If they have to sit in a parking lot for a significant period of time,
I switch over to LP.
My Pod frig does not have an automatic switch-over, so I have to physically set the alternate energy source, which is a hassle if I forget to set the correct source.
TIDALWAVE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 10:10pm
Tidal, you could add a 12 volt relay under the hood to do what your Jeep did.  I wish the fridge would do automatic sourcing, too!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply