R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestions about R-Pods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about R-Pods
    Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 4:59pm
I'm new to shopping for a TT and am looking closely at the R-Pod.  I was all starry-eyed at the dealership and only thought of these questions after, and thought you guys might be able to help.

1)  If I'm cooking inside my R-Pod, is there a vent to release smoke/steam/etc? Where is the vent? On top of the trailer or on the side?

2)  Where is the heater located?  I thought I read somewhere that it's under one of the dinette seats?  This seems a weird place, under a seat/bed.  Is this where it is, and if so, does having the heater there present any problems?

3)  I have 2 teens, plus the husband - so I was originally thinking of the RP-172 or the PR-176.  However, hubby doesn't like the idea of the slideout, and he also points out that in a few years the teens will be gone and it will be just us, and at that time, we wouldn't need the bunks.  So now I'm looking more closely at the floorplans and thinking the RP-173T might be a better way to go.  It looks like the RP173T would sleep both us us where the dinette is, then one teen on the sofa and the other in the extended tent thing (I don't know what this is called).  So my next question is, is the extended tent actually sturdy?  Has anyone had any trouble with it?

4) My local dealer quoted me a price (that we would need to negotiate down) of over $15k.  Of course this is many thousands more than Couch's RV.  I'm a little confused by what different dealer websites say about nationwide networks, should a repair issue arise.  Does the place I buy my TT have any bearing on whether I'm going to be able to find good service somewhere? (I know this is a dumb question, but I'm seriously confused about this).

Thanks for any help or insight!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 5:22pm
There is a large vent fan in the bathroom, which serves a dual purpose of kitchen vent when you cook.  Its on top of the trailer.

The converter is under the dinette seat, the heater is more centrally located near the floor.

One thing to consider with the hybrid (tent) model is noise will travel, just like a tent or popup.  Both your conversations travelling outward, and noisy neighbors packing up at 6 am when you are trying to sleep.  This was the final straw that had us move from our popup.  Its also harder to keep out bright light if you like to sleep later in the morning.

Theoretically you should be able to get repairs done at any Forest River dealer, but in reality some dealers put their customers first.  Some FR dealers don't sell 'pods and may not want to service them either.  The best thing you can do is call around to local FR dealers and tell them you just moved into the area, then ask if they can service your 'pod.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 5:36pm

1)  If I'm cooking inside my R-Pod, is there a vent to release smoke/steam/etc? Where is the vent? On top of the trailer or on the side?

Turn the fan on in the Bathroom and crack a windows takes it all away.

2)  Where is the heater located?  I thought I read somewhere that it's under one of the dinette seats?  This seems a weird place, under a seat/bed.  Is this where it is, and if so, does having the heater there present any problems?

It depends on the model.  I have a R-pod 171 and the heater is under the sink.  Not sure were others have them.  I did try looking on the floor plans but I did not see anyplace they are shown.

3)  I have 2 teens, plus the husband - so I was originally thinking of the RP-172 or the PR-176.  However, hubby doesn't like the idea of the slideout, and he also points out that in a few years the teens will be gone and it will be just us, and at that time, we wouldn't need the bunks.  So now I'm looking more closely at the floorplans and thinking the RP-173T might be a better way to go.  It looks like the RP173T would sleep both us us where the dinette is, then one teen on the sofa and the other in the extended tent thing (I don't know what this is called).  So my next question is, is the extended tent actually sturdy?  Has anyone had any trouble with it?

I was just in a 173T this past weekend looking at the actual tent area. It was sturdy.  The 173t sounds like it might be the way to go as it will serve your needs now and also when the kids leave. 

4) My local dealer quoted me a price (that we would need to negotiate down) of over $15k.  Of course this is many thousands more than Couch's RV.  I'm a little confused by what different dealer websites say about nationwide networks, should a repair issue arise.  Does the place I buy my TT have any bearing on whether I'm going to be able to find good service somewhere? (I know this is a dumb question, but I'm seriously confused about this).

My local dealer in Pennsylvania (Stoltzfus RV, Adamstown, PA) when I first looked at the 171 was much higher in price than some others out on the Internet, but the day I sat down with them to order the camper I was able to get them with $100 of the best deal I found on the internet (stange the power of an open check book has on salespeople).  My thinking was it saved me time and money driving someplace else and did not have to worry about warrenty work as this dealer is within 1/2 hour from my home (And this was also the third camper purchased from them in 15 years).  Also depending on where you are in relationship to the factory it does cost some more to ship the rpod's out to the dealers.  Forest River does state that you may have to return to the purchasing dealer for warrenty work to be performed.  I liked keeping the business local to me.

Good luck on the looking and welcome to rpod-owners!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 6:13pm
In my opinion, four adult-sized people in an r-pod (even the 173T) is pushing the capacity.  Storage for clothing, food, lawn chairs and other gear you bring along is at a premium.  And shoes... there will be shoes everywhere.

Emergency service while on the road usually isn't a problem.  A good relationship with a local dealer is important for warranty service and periodic maintenance.  Some dealers may not service units bought elsewhere; other dealers will prioritize work for customers who bought from them, leaving the walk-ins to wait (this could be 4-6 weeks during the busy spring period).
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:23pm
Funny you mention shoes.  They were always in our way, too.  Last trip we finally banished all shoes from the camper.  All shoes off before entering, under the awning.  Helped keep the floor cleaner, too.
KSinclair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Outbound

In my opinion, four adult-sized people in an r-pod (even the 173T) is pushing the capacity.  Storage for clothing, food, lawn chairs and other gear you bring along is at a premium.  And shoes... there will be shoes everywhere.

I agree here . . . but hubby wants to look at tent camping or pop up tents, and I am just not a tent person.  It has been decades since I camped last, and most of my experience is with RVs and campers.  It seemed like an ultralight trailer might be a happy medium.  And, the teens would really only be with us for a few more years, then it would be just us.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:43pm
Hmmm... is it possible that your teens would appreciate getting away from their parents in a tent of their own?
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 7:51pm
R-pod nation forum has a 173T for sale that is new.
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 8:46pm
If you get a 172 and put up curtains, each teen will have a privacy.  When they(teens) leave you take out the top bunk, rise the lower bunk and put a futon one it with pillows or whatever and you'll have a relaxation area and more storage.

I don't like taking up the dining area, and my daughter has the top and I have the lower bunk, but if we have company they can have one of the private bunks and we can make up the queen in the dining area(we have a 172).

Just my tow cents'
LeeClap  
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 10:28am
KSinclair, we had the same thought "what about when the kids are gone", and that helped us decide on a 'pod.  A 30 foot TT would have been too much for just us, and the 'pod is just enough with the 4 of us now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>