R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestion about rear 1.25" hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about rear 1.25" hitch
    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:32pm
Just picked up a 2020 Model 172.  Rear hitch says 150 lb limit.  I have a HEAVY bike rack that weighs 37 lb alone, and would be adding about 50 lbs for 2 bikes.  This would total say 90 lbs. on the hitch.

I could get a crappy/cheap harbor freight bike rack that only weighs like 10 lbs, reducing the weight to probably 60 lbs. overall.

So, is 90 lbs on that hitch a problem? 

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:23am
You might be okay but the rear receiver is really meant for a spare tire.  The extra distance a bike rack sticks out and it's inherent vibration anyway is not a good thing for bikes on the back of a camper, where you can't see them.  Plus you have to figure out what to do with your spare.  It's generally preferred to figure out something else to do with your bikes.

People do what you're talking about though, and mostly they get away with it.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:24am
Another reason for the rear weight restriction is that hanging weight on the rear of the trailer reduces tongue weight. Think of the trailer as a teeter totter rotating around the tire contact patch. Low tongue weight is dangerous because it makes the trailer sway prone. If you do add that weight back there, relocate the spare to the front of the trailer for balance and check your actual tongue weight with the trailer loaded for travel. You want to be above 10% of total trailer weight under all loading conditions.  172's tend to be loaded heavy aft anyway because the big storage area and fresh water tank are in the rear. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:12am
I tried the bike rack on the back and was dissatisfied with the results after about 1/2 a season (7500 miles), too much flex on where the receiver was attached (welds were breaking).  My solution was to install a rear bumper on the trailer to have something to secure the receiver to the trailer.  No problems since. 
Jay

179/2019
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:38pm

We have used a rear bike rack on the back of 2 different R Pods with success. However, we did NOT use the stock 1 ¼” receiver.  We made 5 very important changes that added a lot of safety and rigidity to the system. THE IDEA IS TO MINIMIZE ANY MOVEMENT WITHIN THE SYSTEM AND OFFER ADDITIONAL STRUCTURAL STRENGTH.

1-We added a 2” receiver with triangular reinforcement gussets to the bottom of the existing receiver

2-we added an additional 2”x2” frame member that is welded from side to side to the original frame channels..  The rear of the 2” receiver is also welded to this new frame member as well as the original 1 ¼” receiver.

3-We use a hitch tightener to stop any slop or movement between the bottom shank of the bike rack and the 2” receiver

4-we use 2 cam lock straps that are attached from the top of the bike rack to eye bolts that are drilled into each rear corner of the R Pod frame (they are red in this picture).  These straps are ratcheted tight to stop any additional movement of the bikes/bike rack.  We also use only 2 bikes and we have the bike rack welded to the shortest shank possible to avoid too much cantilever.  The total bike rack and 2 bikes weigh 74 pounds.

5-We moved the spare tire to the front, welded on the A frame as earlier suggested to offset the rear weight and insure adequate tongue weight.

I would not use the rear 1 ¼” receiver for a bike rack without substantial modifications. Any of these modifications will probably void your warranty.  We used a professional welder for all fabrications. I am not advocating this use-I am just illustrating what we did. Make your own decisions. 

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:09am
One other consideration before increasing rear weight. 

We have had at least one case reported on this forum of a rPod frame failure. That occurred at the axle attachment point. After looking at the loading on the frame rails it turns out that they are pretty marginal. They have about a 2x load factor, maybe a bit less, and you can readily get 2x  bump loads (or more) on potholed roads. 

The highest stress on the frame is right behind the axle attachment, caused by loading on the rear overhang. Reinforcing the rear hitch area doesn't do anything to help the frame up at the axle. 

That made me decide not to want anything heavy in the rear of my trailer. I now carry heavy stuff int he trailer as close to the axle as possible. Makes it more difficult to get the tongue weight where I want it but saves the frame from excess loading. 

Bottom line is that nothing about an rPod's construction is overbuilt. Its all designed to a very tight cost and weight spec. Makes it dicey to add weight and gear the designers didn't intend. There is a second high stress area on the frame right about where the tongue attaches to the box so that's not a great place either. 

The best solution is to put heavy stuff in the tow vehicle whenever possible, and put it in front of the TV rear axle. Cars and trucks are designed with significantly higher safety margins for bump loads than travel trailers are. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
michaelbarth View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:15am
Thank you all for this most helpful advice!
BMJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:01am
Does anyone know how much weight a 195 back bumper can take if I put the spare somewhere else ?.... not sure it will handle a 2 slot bike rack?.   thanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:23am
It’s less a matter of what the bumper will take than it is what hanging weight back there will to do your tongue weight, frame load, and axle weight. The rear of the trailer is not a good place to put heavy stuff.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by BMJ

Does anyone know how much weight a 195 back bumper can take if I put the spare somewhere else ?.... not sure it will handle a 2 slot bike rack?.   thanks!

Pods don't have bumpers.  The spare tire receiver is mounted to the frame and the frame is as lightweight as it can be.  It's really not meant for hanging bikes from.  As said earlier, you might be able to get away with it, but you might not. 

I think the weight limit is 150 lbs, but that's right up against the Pod. If you extend the weight back away from the pod, as you would with a bike rack, every bounce on the road multiplies the actual weight.  Metal fatigues and you can end up having your bikes run over by the 18-wheeler behind you.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>