R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLight truck tires for the POD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light truck tires for the POD
    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:45am
LTs are certainly built differently, its not clear that they are built better. Define "better". 

Ride comfort is not a consideration on trailers so ST's will have thicker, stiffer sidewalls and therefore less rolling resistance.  Thicker sidewalls won't be able to dissipate heat as effectively so speed rating will be lower than with LT's. 

Trailer tires don't need to provide traction so ST's will have a tread pattern that also has less rolling resistance. Stiffer sidewalls will also resist lateral loads better so help prevent trailer sway.

If you google up lt vs st tires there are mountains of discussions of this topic.

So maybe if you're a speed demon on the freeway LT's would be better. If you want to save fuel or are fearful of sway ST's might be your ticket. 

I agree that whatever you get it needs to have a load rating well in excess of the axle rating to reduce blowout risk. I'd suggest 40-50% higher. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
CharlieMac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:42am
I installed Good year endurance tires
May the Farce Be With You

Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:31am
Several folks (several different brands) are switching to LT's. All claiming overall better performance. For me, I look at what the overlander's use. They're LT (or all-terrain) and it's not due to looks. It's better performance. Again, to me, you you can bounce over protruding rocks and survive, that's a pretty good tire. Loads rating & speed ratings can be met with LT's. 

In my opinion, yes, LT's an be an alternative to ST's.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:25pm
Not quite true, it is all in the load rating. The LT Falken tires I used have the same load rating as the ST tires that came stock on my trailer, but also have higher speed rating and are built in the USA. There are some trailers now coming stock with LT tires, because they are built better. ST tires are for "trailer only" because they don't meet DOT regulations for cars. This is why tire stores will install LT tires on a trailers, but not ST on cars or trucks.    
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:18pm
I just spent a little more on the Goodyear Endurance for my 14" and feel better about it all....

My thought is that if something DOES happen (your fault or not) and you have a tire not specified by the manufacturer on the trailer, that ugly things happen legally.
Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:58pm
I use LRE's on my 195, It's a little heavier. I have had great luck so far with Carlisle tires. LT tires are not rated to carry as much weight as ST tires, as trucks disperse the weight over 4 tires, not two. But hey, it's a free country, or at least used to be, use what you like. I just think people should use the proper tires for their intended purpose. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:29pm
Our west coast tires are LRC, but as they are 15", their load rating is is 2350 lbs per tire (4700 lbs combined). They are Westlake brand, which is Chinese-made. They are also the odd-ball ST235/75-15 with the silly "off road" tread.

So I decided that in spite of the LRC designation, they are more capable than the 14" versions. The 50 PSI pressure makes them a little "squishier", but they have been holding up just fine.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:38pm
oops, mis-typed wheel size,,,,,,15 inch of course.........

OK, lots of good information...........I would think the LT tires would be rated at a higher load factor............I won't buy any tires made in China......Had bad luck with carlisle in the past.
Swampfox
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:35pm
+2 in favor of ST tires. 

I don't personally subscribe to the "China Bomb" theory. I suspect that most problems have occurred due to either running the OEM underspec'd LRC's and/or under inflation.  I do agree that LRE's are probably too stiff. I run LRD's and yes they are made in (horror of horrorsShocked) China. 

That being said, I am under the impression that the original West Coast rPods used LT tires, so that they could have that rugged tread look, so there should be lots of history on them. Of course, since trailer tires aren't on drive wheels. having an aggressive tread pattern doesn't really serve a useful purpose and results in increased rolling resistance which reduces fuel economy. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:07pm
I only run LT tires on all my signal axle trailers and have never had a problem, I think they are built better and in the USA, most ST tires are not and only need to meet trailer standards. You just need to make sure the rating is the same. I looked at the Goodyear Endurance but they do not come in 235/75-15 that my HR 178 came with and the 225/75-15 only came in load range E, I think it is to stiff for an R Pod. Here is what I installed on my 178. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>