R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed191 Valance and blinds pulled from wall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 191 Valance and blinds pulled from wall
    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:42pm
We have a new r-pod 191 with the dinette in the rear and the valance and the blinds were marginally attached the day we drove this home.  The valance screw on the right side completely pulled out of the paneling and the blind screw around the lower plastic standoff also was pulled thru the paneling.  

We are looking for a clever idea for repair.  Here is what we have tried:  We have added larger diameter screws to the valance and also added one more to each side (we noticed that there was only one screw in each angle bracket).  The valance fell off the next trip.  Then we added 2 sided 3M foam tape to the top of the blind (sandwiched between the blind and the valance) and that failed as well because the valance backing was too slick.  The standoff was temporarily fixed with a larger diameter screw but I suspect that is temporary.

Is there any way to know where the aluminum frame is?  Has anyone had any luck with using different anchors in the paneling?

Thanks
2020 r-pod 191
2019 Honda Ridgeline
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:57pm
I used the plastic screw in anchors (about an inch long) with a # 8 screw.  That was two years ago and still holding.  
Swampfox
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:59am
You can look at this video to get an idea where the aluminum frame is. Don't use any fasteners longer than an inch, that's the wall thickness. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Bungee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:21am
Thank you for that video.  There were a couple things that were useful such as the wall have 2 overlapping luan panels and the foam is closed cell.  The video that followed noted the Azdel panels do not use luan on 2019.5 and later models so I think on my 2020 has slightly different construction.

On the use of plastic EZAnchors in paneling, that seems like a decent option if you can't find the aluminum.  

I would really like to take a tour of the factory and see it for myself.  Wink
2020 r-pod 191
2019 Honda Ridgeline
Bungee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 4:22pm
Just following up on this.  My r-pod was in storage for a few weeks so I didn't get a chance to do anything.  The video was key on the outer walls.  What I found was that the instal at Forest River was off by a small amount and basically missed the metal frame in the walls.  Now that I know where to look, the fix was trivial.

On the dinette window that is on the arch one the rear of the trailer, that appears to be wood in the walls at some unknown spacing.  The screws that Forest River used were self tapping which implies that they were supposed to hit something other than paneling.  After putting a few tiny holes to locate the studs, I found that FR again was off by a quarter inch in all directions and missed the stud for the blinds and the valance.  Again easy fix once you know where things are in the walll.

I expect all the blinds and valances to fall off eventually if I do not proactively go fix them.  Thank you both for your insight.  very valuable.
2020 r-pod 191
2019 Honda Ridgeline
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 7:26am
Glad to hear you have it worked out. Slightly missing the mark on installing the screws seems par for the course for FR unfortunately. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply