Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RV'r -got an RPod 190

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RV'r -got an RPod 190
    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 12:28pm
Oh wow, I handn't even thought of a surge protector!  Thanks MJLRPOD!  We will look into that right away!  I notice there are 2 keys to open the door, and yeah, that sounds great to have keyless.  Tires are the 1st thing we replaced. :)  Thanks for the excellent tips!
Thumbs Up
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 1:27pm
The surge protector is not cheap, about 250.00 bucks. Don't waste time and money on analyzers, they only tell you if its good this very second. An EMS will monitor power before allowing it into your camper, and then keep monitoring it 24-7. I hate keys, I have had keyless entry for at least 10 - 15 years at home, and 5 years on my camper. It s*&ks carrying keys in your bathing suit. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
2TrvlMore View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:27pm
Is there a particular surge protector you like or can recommend?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:36pm
You DO want the analyser function as that tells you whether you have an open ground, neutral, or line and neutral reversed before you connect. You also want the surge protector function to handle transient voltage surges in the campground power lines. So, get a device that has BOTH functions. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 5:04pm
I think a non-contact voltage detector would suffice to be certain that there isn't some major wiring problem in the pedestal. That and a DVM and probably a AC test plug. I carry all three, and it only takes a couple of minutes to check that your power is good.

As for keys, we got replacement locks for the storage access door and the outside shower door. That way, one key opens them all.

I think the permanently mounted surge protector is a great idea.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:15am
I use the Progressive EMS HW30C, (hard wired) unit in mine. As IMO incorrectly stated above, you DON"T need the analyzer, because the EMS will analyze the power BEFORE it allows it to enter the camper. Once you plug in, it takes about 10 seconds before you hear the power kick in. If there is any problems with the pedestal, open ground, reverse polarity, ETC. It will block the power and display and error code associated with the problem. Buying the analyzer would be repetitive and wasteful. I recommend "hardwired" because you only install it once, and it's always ready to go. No reason to hang a 250 dollar lure outside, or forget to take it with you. Remember, an analyzer only tells you if the power is good "before" you plug in, I want to know it's good " while " i'm plugged in. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:59am
Let's get our definitions straight:

While the surge protector only protects your appliances from sudden electric surges and high/low voltage spikes, an EMS offers you full protection against all power related issues including current surges, low and high voltage spikes, open ground, reserved polarity, high neutral, incorrectly wired power outlets, and more.

So, let's see if we can reach agreement that a surge protector alone is not adequate and what we want is an EMS, a device that provides both for a circuit analysis and surge protection. Or, you can get individual devices as GlueGuy suggests and check the power at the pedestal that way, plus a surge protector for transient surges. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by offgrid

While the surge protector only protects your appliances from sudden electric surges and high/low voltage spikes, an EMS offers you full protection against all power related issues including current surges, low and high voltage spikes, open ground, reserved polarity, high neutral, incorrectly wired power outlets, and more.

So, let's see if we can reach agreement that a surge protector alone is not adequate and what we want is an EMS,  

Yes, I fully agree with this. This is partly my fault for sure, because I only consider an EMS, and when I say surge protector, I guess that's misleading. I would never recommend an actual surge protector, because it's more or less a false sense of security. Hence forth, I will be sure to say "EMS" and not simply a surge protector. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Originally posted by offgrid

So, let's see if we can reach agreement that a surge protector alone is not adequate and what we want is an EMS,  

Yes, I fully agree with this. This is partly my fault for sure, because I only consider an EMS, and when I say surge protector, I guess that's misleading. I would never recommend an actual surge protector, because it's more or less a false sense of security. Hence forth, I will be sure to say "EMS" and not simply a surge protector. 

+1
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
2TrvlMore View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 12:25am
Wow, we are learning A LOT from you guys! Thank you so much! I have been looking into the EMS and I see what you mean when you say it would be better than a surge protector.  We had no idea they had such a device out there.  We will be installing on before we leave on our next trip.  THANK YOU so much for the very invaluable advise! We really appreciate the time you all took to help us understand why this is important.  We are still feeling a little overwhelmed, but have been going through all the information that came with the RPod and are getting more familiar with everything.  Can't wait to feel confident going on a trip someday soon.Smile  I feel like we should have a banner on the RPOD that says "Newbie or Rookie", like they do with "Student Driver's". LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>