Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RV'r -got an RPod 190

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RV'r -got an RPod 190
    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 1:18am
Hello everyone!  My hubby and I may have gotten a little ahead of ourselves when we finally decided on the Rpod we wanted (the 190) and we found a great 2019 that was only used twice before the owners sold it (they had a baby).  We are new to RVing but come from a lot of years camping in a tent. This feels like a 20,000 sf mansion!  And boy, we feel like Lucy and Dezi with their long long new trailer!  We have no idea what anything does, or how it works. Looks like we'll spend some time with the online tutorials for starters.

It's nice to be with a group of owners that really sound nice and helpful.  We can't wait to figure out how to turn this thing on and make it go so we can meet some of you out there.  We are in Oregon and if there are any groups out this way, let us know.  We would love to rub elbows with other owners. 
Happy trails everyone!  

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:56am
Welcome.

One must be of a certain age to even know who Lucy and Desi are these days. I recall the scene where Desi throws out all the rocks that Lucy had secretly been collecting in the back of their trailer. LOL

To avoid that kind of situation, or worse, my first suggestion to you is to be sure you know your tow vehicle limitations and capacities are up to what they need to be for the trailer.  Best thing is to weigh your trailer and full rig as you want it loaded for travel. The empty weight specs are highly optimistic and misleading.  

All that other stuff you will figure out given time and the opportunity to ask questions. 

Have fun!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:53am
Welcome to the forum.  We have a 190 also and have done a ton of mods to it to fit our needs.
It is the perfect trailer for two people and is an easy, easy tow and easy to modify.
I am thinking of replacing the dinette area with a jackknife couch mounted on top of the storage area.  I have already ditched the table that came with the unit and the replacement table I built will work nicely with a couch.  I havent completely sold the wife on it yet, but working on it.Tongue
Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have about your unit.  There are a lot of knowleable folks on here and together, they can come up with a solution to almost any problem.

Swampfox
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:09am
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod. We have a 2016 RP179 and have traveled many miles with it. I have made many modifications to it which you can see by going to the link in my signature. Some of them may be of use to you. In time, you will likely make modifications to make your 190 your own unique RPod and make it better suited to your use. The learning curve can be high. This forum has been very helpful to me and I think you will find it useful.

One thing that will help with your searching for answers is how to effectively use the search function. By default, the search only looks at topics six months old or newer. You will need to use the advanced search to be able to expand the date range for your searches. That will make it more likely that you will find answers to your questions.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:19am
Welcome to the forum 2TrvlMore!

Please tell us more about yourself, like where you are, and what is going to be pulling your 190?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:14am
Love our 190, I'm sure you will too.  Welcome to the forum.  
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:53am
lol...'long long trailer'...

Next up on Netflix: Danny DeVito and Herve Villechaize in:

"The Short Short R-POD"!

Tongue

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
2TrvlMore View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:28pm
Wow, Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  You are from all over the map out there! 

To answer some questions you all had...
Well "OFFGRID", We are between the ages of 50 & 60... :)  And love old movies!
And yes, one of the 1st things Daniel said to me was "Christine...No! you are NOT going to collect rocks!!"

Nice to "meet"you "GLUEGUY"....We have a choice between a 2004 Toyota Tundra, and 2004 Toyota Sequoia to pull the RPod.  I prefer the Sequoia because we can get more in it and it's secure.  They both have great pulling power. The Sequoia has disc brakes, the Tundra does not, so it's not as good.

We are in Oregon, and as campers, have been ALL OVER the state.  We love Montana and Wyoming, Idaho and some parts of Washington.  We really liked the idea of being able to tow our portable room with us, dropping it off at a campsite, and still being able to drive and explore.  Having a hard-sided trailer instead of a tent in Grizzly territory will be a real plus and allow for much more restful sleeping.

I have been told that the trailer undergoes a massive earthquake each time it's hauled down the road, and so am agonizing over (of all things...) DISHES.  Some that can go in the micro, and yet not be shattered to smithereens before we get to our first destination.  Any suggestions?

The other questions I have is spiders.  I know, what a fraid-y cat.  Really, I can sleep in the same bed with snakes and mice/rats.  But if I know there is a spider in a 2,000 sf house, I will burn it down before I sleep in it.  We have found 2 in the camper in a 15 minute period upon bringing it home.  Is this going to be a regular occurrence? And if so, has anyone had this issue and conquered it?

Thank you "STEPHENH" for explaining how to do an extensive search.  I really appreciate knowing that and will definitely use it! 

Mr "WOODMEISTER" we took noticed the cumbersome awkward and possibly knee damaging table also and were thinking about modifying that first.  

Again, thank you all for the welcome hello!  Looking forward to saying "hi" to you out on the road on some random trip! 

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:44am
Either of those tow vehicles are fine as long as all the stuff you want to put in the Sequoia doesn’t include too many rocks.... You might want to get a weight distribution hitch, most folks seem to prefer the ride and handling with one.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:48am
I always suggest the first mod to be adding an EMS surge protector to protect your campers electronics. There are many options, but I think a hardwired unit is best. Never have to remember to use it, or forget it on the pole, or worse, find it missing one day. Second really nice addition is keyless entry on all doors. I use the rvlock keyless keypad on the front door, and combi cam locks on the storage compartments. No keys to worry about carrying, or losing. I usually recommend changing tires to something worth putting on, but, i'm going to stop beating that drum. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>