Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas > Barbecue/Grill
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat ya all grilling on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fwunder View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What ya all grilling on?
    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:24pm
Another vote for Weber Q. Five years now. Of my three cookers - Weber Performer, Weber Smoky Mountain and Weber Q - Q gets the majority of use camping and at home. I use my Camp Chef stove a lot too.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:19pm
I used to have one like that. It wore out. I think the burner rusted out before the housing. The wire grate also did not hold up well. However, at that price, it is disposable.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 1:03pm
We were just wandering through Walmart one day and saw this....

To be honest, it works pretty well for $40.  And at that price, I don't care if it gets rained on, stolen, broken.  I toss it in the back of the truck whenever we go and carry a spare propane bottle to use on the trailer (backup tank) or with the BBQ with a converter hose.

I have a griddle as well that sits on it for pancakes etc.

Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:39pm
I've wrapped steak tips and potatoes in aluminum foil and thrown them on my webber Q before, and never had a problem with melting. Maybe you don't want to fully cover the grill plates??? I just wrap the contents and place them on the grill plates, which allows it to breathe and not over heat like it would if the grates were fully covered??  I had never heard of the melting grill plates phenom. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 4:08pm
Pure aluminum melts at around 1200 F. AL alloys can begin melting as low as around 900 and finish melting at around 1200. In comparison, cast iron melts at around 2000 F and nonstick coatings are only good for around 500. You want to be around 450-500 for searing steak, and that probably the hottest you really ever need a grill or griddle to be. 

If you wrap something in aluminum foil maybe just turn the temp down on the grill a bit, its like baking something in a little oven at that point so it doesn't need to be that hot. Just my $0.02, I'm not an expert griddle user. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:01am
Please let me know what the instructions say when you get your Ranier. I read further that the grill for the Ranier is also made of aluminum, so unless they have used a different alloy that is more heat resistant, I would expect the same problem to occur. It is also possible that the lower heat output of the grill's burner helps to prevent this from happening as I understand that the Ranier has one 10,000 btu and one 8,000 btu burner. I expect the grill is the 8,000 btu one. As for the griddle,. like the grill, I have had no problems with it softening or melting. The legs on the griddle keep it higher up so more heat can escape around the edges. I have no idea why Coleman dropped it unless it just was not selling well enough to justify them continuing to make it. If it had been bundled with the grill stove like the Ranier, I expect it would have done better.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:47am
Originally posted by StephenH

I think I could have done so on the truck hood as well. Temps in the upper 90's and heat index hit 109 today and is likely to be over 100 for the next several days.

I will be interested to hear the opinion on the Ranier X2. I would like to see a side-by-side comparison with the Coleman Grill Stove. The differences I saw were a different design for the grill and that it comes with a carrying case. Otherwise, they look very similar and I would expect them to perform in a very similar fashion.

Edit: I finally went on Amazon and checked the ratings. Almost every one who wrote that the grill had melted had abused the grill by putting something on it other than food. In a couple of cases, it was food wrapped in aluminum foil. The complaint was that Coleman said not to use pots or pans on the grill, but did not specify not to use foil. What appears to have happened is that the foil traps the heat and it builds up to a point where the aluminum softens and/or melts. It is likely that the person also was not observing the stove, thinking that the foil packet meant that they didn't have to pay attention to the cooking. These melted grates were something that could have been avoided by following the instructions. I don't know what the grate in the Ranier is made of, but it would also likely be subject to melting if similarly abused. I did read that the griddle for the Ranier is aluminum like the one for the Coleman.

However, it is likely a moot point. From what I saw, the griddle for the Coleman Grill Stove is no longer available so the Ranier is probably the only one with that feature in that size.

Melting is the main reason the Coleman went down the list, second was the griddle (made for that unit) is no longer available. I do wonder why?? Other issues?? Usually what takes a product of the market.

If a grate is going to melt if you wrap your food in tin-foil. That's a bad design/material choice.. That's how we cook out potato/veggie/bacon grilled. Fish is also be done wrapped. I read nothing of this issue with the Rainier. No need for a side by side, that alone sets the Rainier above and beyond.

Glad the Coleman works for you! Happy camping!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:05pm
I think I could have done so on the truck hood as well. Temps in the upper 90's and heat index hit 109 today and is likely to be over 100 for the next several days.

I will be interested to hear the opinion on the Ranier X2. I would like to see a side-by-side comparison with the Coleman Grill Stove. The differences I saw were a different design for the grill and that it comes with a carrying case. Otherwise, they look very similar and I would expect them to perform in a very similar fashion.

Edit: I finally went on Amazon and checked the ratings. Almost every one who wrote that the grill had melted had abused the grill by putting something on it other than food. In a couple of cases, it was food wrapped in aluminum foil. The complaint was that Coleman said not to use pots or pans on the grill, but did not specify not to use foil. What appears to have happened is that the foil traps the heat and it builds up to a point where the aluminum softens and/or melts. It is likely that the person also was not observing the stove, thinking that the foil packet meant that they didn't have to pay attention to the cooking. These melted grates were something that could have been avoided by following the instructions. I don't know what the grate in the Ranier is made of, but it would also likely be subject to melting if similarly abused. I did read that the griddle for the Ranier is aluminum like the one for the Coleman.

However, it is likely a moot point. From what I saw, the griddle for the Coleman Grill Stove is no longer available so the Ranier is probably the only one with that feature in that size.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 6:51pm
The truck hood! Damn, it's hot today. Thumbs Down
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 1:23pm
Wish to thank all that participated in this and helped me form a decision.

I have choosen the Camp Chef Rainer X2. I have several reasons for this but mainly it fits all my requirements, has the best reviews, and am familiar with the products quality. Overall it mets no only the cooking requirements, but the storage as well.

Happy campin' to you all! 

The O'lander is now in use as I finish and tweak a few things. First run was up the Maine Sur to West Quoddy. Next is a few runs within my own state. Can't wait to have some Grillin' happening on the upcoming runs. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>