This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas > Barbecue/Grill
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat ya all grilling on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What ya all grilling on?
    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:17pm
I'm about to buy a new Propane grill. Trying to stay in the 225sqin size range due to storage spot. So mainly a tabletop style.

I have a top 3 list going and thought I'd ask you folks what you're grilling on.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:25pm
Coleman road trip, placed on picnic table, Just use the 1 lb cylinders, works fine. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm
Coleman grill-stove. Size of the grill is limited, but it is very easy to store. The down side is that the lid can't be closed while in use. The up side is the griddle insert that takes place of the grill section. It is very handy for bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc. It works great for hamburgers and flat meats like steaks or chops. I don't think that it works as well for chicken parts because of the inability to close a lid on it to hold heat.

I had purchased a CharBroil Grill2Go  X200 True Infrared grill, but quickly realized that it is too big to carry easily, so it is in use at home along with the Members Mark pellet smoker/grill and the Vision ceramic egg grill.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:16pm
We use the little Webber Smokey Joe.  It works well for 2 or 3 people.  It's very easy on charcoal since once  you put the lid on and close the vents, it stops burning quickly.  It's always nice to toss in a bit of mesquite or hickory into the burning coals.  It fit nicely under the seat of our dinette in our 172 and now in our Sonoma.  We light coals with a minute or so of a propane torch.  We just got back from another camping trip and used it 2 of 3 nights, for steaks and bratwurst. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Coleman road trip, placed on picnic table, Just use the 1 lb cylinders, works fine. 

Few versions... 225?
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by lostagain

We use the little Webber Smokey Joe.  It works well for 2 or 3 people.  It's very easy on charcoal since once  you put the lid on and close the vents, it stops burning quickly.  It's always nice to toss in a bit of mesquite or hickory into the burning coals.  It fit nicely under the seat of our dinette in our 172 and now in our Sonoma.  We light coals with a minute or so of a propane torch.  We just got back from another camping trip and used it 2 of 3 nights, for steaks and bratwurst. 

Propane only for this purchase..  Honestly, if I'm going to that sort of flame, I go wood fire. There my Bio-Lite fire Pit shines! Yet not carrying that in the Overlander either.. Space is everything! 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Coleman grill-stove. Size of the grill is limited, but it is very easy to store. The down side is that the lid can't be closed while in use. The up side is the griddle insert that takes place of the grill section. It is very handy for bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc. It works great for hamburgers and flat meats like steaks or chops. I don't think that it works as well for chicken parts because of the inability to close a lid on it to hold heat.

I had purchased a CharBroil Grill2Go  X200 True Infrared grill, but quickly realized that it is too big to carry easily, so it is in use at home along with the Members Mark pellet smoker/grill and the Vision ceramic egg grill.

The Coleman 225 Roadtrip is on the top 3 list. I have a Coleman cookstove I have used for many years, so comfortable with them.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:35pm
Those Bio-Lite thingies look pretty neat, but well outside our Social Security budget.  Also, looks like it might not fit under the dinette seat so well.  

We do carry a gas fire pit with little rocks in it in lieu of a smoky camp fire.  It's much easier than smelling like smoke, having to move your chairs, and chopping fire wood.  Runs off a 20# standard propane cyl. or the outside gas port under the trailer.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KY4S388/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Not good for cooking though.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Few versions... 225?

I had to go take a look to job my memory. Actually the one I have is the road trip version.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 5:22pm

Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Few versions... 225?

I had to go take a look to job my memory. Actually the one I have is the road trip version.

So Roadtrip 225? If so it's the one I'm looking at. Reason I'm pushing a bit to be specific, and there's several model of Roadtrip now.. 

So far in the Top 3, the Roadtrip 225 is one top. Cost, size for packing, can go either small cylinder or the 11lb I hoe to move up to and cooking square inch surface. If I learned of anyone making perk coffee on it, my research would be over! I am thinking of something like a wok base.. hmm.. 

Let me know if this is the one and your Pro's/Con's on it.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>