This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas > Barbecue/Grill
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat ya all grilling on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What ya all grilling on?
    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Those Bio-Lite thingies look pretty neat, but well outside our Social Security budget.  Also, looks like it might not fit under the dinette seat so well.  

We do carry a gas fire pit with little rocks in it in lieu of a smoky camp fire.  It's much easier than smelling like smoke, having to move your chairs, and chopping fire wood.  Runs off a 20# standard propane cyl. or the outside gas port under the trailer.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KY4S388/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Not good for cooking though.

The only downside (con) of the Bio-light pit (besides size) is it does not recharge it's self as their smaller cookstoves do. I get the size and the system they use (I've made a couple), but some is better than none (they didn't even try). That was a bit disappointing. It fit well in the 182 and used it quite a bit then. Once I build my towable for behind the Overlander I will be sure I have space for it. Nice item for Basecamp! Low smoke (I will not claim none) and controllable heat. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:55am
I had the Blackstone griddle on the list, because you can buy the grill box for it. A bit more research and I see the actual combo setup (too big for me) has a different (oval) burner user the grill box. Seems the H burner (standard) doesn't cut it. Shame, could have been best of both worlds.. It's now down list a ways..

The Coleman 225 Roadtrip tabletop version is climbing the list in second place as of now. I still have the weber Q 1200 in first place, but... starting to get some feedback I don't like. Mainly my nephew offering his to me as he goes and buys the Coleman Roadtrip (different model).

I loved grilling with the Aussie that came with the 182. I can buy a similar unit out of BJ's for $80. That's in 3rd place right now. The Con's are mainly how loose all the parts are and basically reassembling it each time I took it out. The Aussie grill goes for +- $170, that BJ's deal is pretty good! 

Any others out there?
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:50am
I use 2 grills. The webber Q, which is awesome, and a blackstone 17 inch. I would recommend either one, or as in my case , both of them.  I had originally bought a coleman roadtrip, but in my opinion, it was super heavy. They have heavy cast iron grill racks. I still use it at home as a deck grill, but I find it gets to hot at times, and it can be challenging to not burn stuff. Maybe it's just mine. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I use 2 grills. The webber Q, which is awesome, and a blackstone 17 inch. I would recommend either one, or as in my case , both of them.  I had originally bought a coleman roadtrip, but in my opinion, it was super heavy. They have heavy cast iron grill racks. I still use it at home as a deck grill, but I find it gets to hot at times, and it can be challenging to not burn stuff. Maybe it's just mine. 

From you I should take the offer of my nephew and grab his! I will say he is a bit of a 'clean freak'... so his hard to clean is probably at a level I've never experienced.. 

Since you've been down this road... Why the Blackstone when you can get a griddle for the others.. Is it just that good? Honestly, I'm very curious! 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 5:21pm
I've never seen the griddle plates for the webber, so I didn't even consider it. I got the blackstone mostly for a breakfast griddle, but i've been know to make a nice stir fry on it. I guess I just like to have each grill for it's own purpose, and with plenty of storage space and cargo capacity, I just don't really think about it. I have 2 cabelas fold up kitchen tables, and I am so used to setting the grills up on them,it's just second nature. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 5:53pm
+1 to MJ, main grill is Weber Q, but I have a Blackstone 17" I like.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:24pm
I've looked at the Blackstone griddles, and they do look to be very nice. However, the weight of it and the size would prohibit it for me. I use the griddle accessory that I got for the Coleman Grill-Stove and it works quite well. It also does not take up much additional space or weight. I got one of the Coleman ovens that fit over a burner not too long ago, so I can bake on the Grill-Stove as well for when I don't want to heat up the RPod's convection-microwave. It has had the cinnamon roll test as well as a biscuit test.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 6:25am
Originally posted by StephenH

I've looked at the Blackstone griddles, and they do look to be very nice. However, the weight of it and the size would prohibit it for me. I use the griddle accessory that I got for the Coleman Grill-Stove and it works quite well. It also does not take up much additional space or weight. I got one of the Coleman ovens that fit over a burner not too long ago, so I can bake on the Grill-Stove as well for when I don't want to heat up the RPod's convection-microwave. It has had the cinnamon roll test as well as a biscuit test.

Looked at those, but read quite a few pretty tough reviews on it. Mostly the grill melting.. not good. I figure folks are placing griddle plates (or large pans) on the grill grate and trapping heat causing the grill to overheat and melt. That just sounds like a under built grill grate.

I take it all is good with yours.. I have it currently 7th on the list and hoping to find better reviews.. I have not read if you can run it with the quick connect.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:19am
The Rainier X2 is amongst the contenders. CampChef makes some nice quality products, so paying up for it may just be worth it. Comes with storage case and both griddle & grill grate. Comes with the 1lb connection and option of bulk. 

Stansport makes something pretty close for a good amount of $$ less, but... no case, no griddle..  

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Looked at those, but read quite a few pretty tough reviews on it. Mostly the grill melting.. not good. I figure folks are placing griddle plates (or large pans) on the grill grate and trapping heat causing the grill to overheat and melt. That just sounds like a under built grill grate.

I take it all is good with yours.. I have it currently 7th on the list and hoping to find better reviews.. I have not read if you can run it with the quick connect.
Coleman specifically states not to put pans/griddles on top of the grill grate. If the grate is melting, it is likely operator error. Mine has never had any signs of softening or melting. I don't believe the grate is under built. If it melts, it was likely abused. Likewise the griddle attachment. I remove the grate and set the griddle in place. It works well.

As for running with the quick connect, I don't know. I have no idea whether the regulator would work properly if it only had a low pressure input. If you could find a way to pipe directly to the connection without the regulator from the low pressure quick connect, I don't see why it would not work.

Edit: I don't see much difference between the Coleman Grill Stove and the Ranier model linked above. Both look to be about the same in construction, just with the burner at opposite ends.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>