R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRenogy RipOff - please tell me otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renogy RipOff - please tell me otherwise
    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 5:04pm
My Newbie Solar Mistake

Actually, it wasn't totally my fault. I just didn't know any better.

I bought a Renogy Eclipse 200 Watt suitcase last year w/Voyager 20A PWM controller. I had some solar cash burning my pocket.

I should have studied more.

Recently, I finally had time to study and play with the system. It is an attractive package, albeit, not the most efficient use of two 100 Watt panels - at least not the way Renogy designed them. I have learned that now.

Take the panels out of the suitcase, point them at the sun and, sure enough, they will pump a respectable amount of amps into you battery bank. I have seen 10 amps in full sun and a battery that needed that much. That's the selling point. But could be so much better if they only were truly two 100 Watt 12 volt panels as advertised. They are not! I wish I would have educated myself before I spent over $500.00 for 6 volt panels!

OK, here's the deal.

I wanted options.

One option was just as shipped. PWM controller on panels and short 10 AWG run to battery bank. That works. One would assume the two panels were connected parallel to controller and short run to battery bank. Longer run, heavier gauge wire.

Option two, which I like better is controller closer to battery bank and take advantage of higher output voltage of series connected 100 watt 12 volt panels to use smaller gauge extension from panels to controller. Would swap out PVM controller w/MPPT controller. Easy to do with any two 100 watt panels. I know now that this is solar 101. Problem is...you can't do this with expensive Renogy 200 watt solar suitcase because it is made with 50 watt 6 volt panels in parallel/series. Sounds weird, doesn't it? That's what I thought!!

First clue should have been label on one of the panels. See below. Label still doesn't make sense to me. Renogy offers no explanation so far.

Second clue was what sure looks like series connection between panels. This was a mystery. 2 100 Watt panels which look to be hooked in series, but deliver ~20v open circuit voltage. That didn't make sense. I opened the PV junction box thinking maybe there was some kind of shunting going on to make parallel connection. Nope. Straight series and voltage output at each junction box measured ~10 volts! 32 cell, 100 watt 6 volt panels. Seems very, very, strange!!

I went back and read the advertising literature - "Two 100 watt Eclipse panels" Hmmmm, would you say two 50 watt 6 volt panels wired in parallel = "100 Watt Eclipse panel" I wouldn't. I guess lawyers would.

It seems now that Renogy has changed the design and is using two 100 watt 12v Eclipse panels. I wonder how many were shipped like the one I got.

Besides the deceptive advertising and the circuit disadvantage of two 6 volt panels in series, if one panel breaks, the system is useless.

If you have purchased a 200 Watt Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Suitcase w/o Controller: RNG-KIT-STCS200MB-NC-BC, please check the sticker(s) on the back and let me know.

If you think I'm making too much out of this let me know. I'm just bummed that I didn't get what I thought I was getting and pissed at myself for not knowing!!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 5:15pm
Watts is watts. If you were sold two 100 watt 6V panels, then that would be the 200 watt system you were expecting. Instead, it looks like they sold you a pair of 50 watt panels (100 watts), and told you that it was a 200 watt system. That is false, and you are (at least) owed a refund or return in exchange for what they sold you.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 5:39pm
It's a bit stranger than that, GlueGuy.

The panel dimension on the label does not match the actual panel dimension?

Mi biggest beef is that any educated buyer would assume they were buying two 100 Watt 12v panels with all the inherent options. I wasn't educated and that's my fault. I think Renogy took advantage of that.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 6:23pm
Three questions:
1. Did you purchase direct from Renogy or from a 3rd party seller (such as Amazon)?
2. If you purchased direct from Renogy, have you contacted Renogy about this?
3. If you purchased from a 3rd party seller, have you contacted the seller about this? 

Here is a picture of the sticker on my 100W unit:

The two panels in mine are square. The picture of yours looks like they are taller rectangles.  Each panel on mine is a 4x4 matrix of cells. From the Renogy site, the 200W kit each panel has a 4x8 matrix of cells. On mine, there is one label. On Renogy's site, the picture they show of the back side of the suitcase shows a label on each panel. I can't enlarge it enough to read what is on the labels though.

One thing that indicates that it is not a 100W unit is that you have already seen greater than 6A output. The short circuit output of mine is 6.1A with 5.68A optimum output current. I'm pretty sure that the sticker in your picture indicates the current output for one of the panels, not both panels.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 6:59pm
Hey Stephen,

Renogy purchase direct. Check.

Contacted Renogy 3 days ago. Check

Followed up with additional photos as asked for same day. Check.

Radio silence.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:06pm
Do you have a label on each panel or only the one label on the one panel? In theory, you should see twice the amperage output on your panels that I see with mine. Since you said you saw 10A already, it is already putting out greater power than my 100W panels.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:07pm
As strange as it might seem, two 16 cell units combined into one 32 cell unit for one 100 watt panel @ 6v. and the connected series to another same configuration for a 200 watt 12v system is the only thing that makes sense to me. Someone said, “Watts is watts. You got what you paid for.” I respectfully disagree.

F
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:08pm
There is only one label on one panel.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:26pm
Is the output of the PWM controller 12V? If so, then you did get what you paid for as did I. Why it would be labeled that way is up to Renogy to explain. You are getting the watts you paid for.

These are the specifications I found on Amazon for the panel:

• Maximum System Voltage: 600VDC(UL)
  • Open-Circuit Voltage: 21.2 V
  • Optimium Operating Voltage: 17.7V
  • Short-Circuit Current: 11.72A
  • Optimium Operating Current: 10.35A
  • Folded Dimension: 41.3 x 21.1 x 3.1 inches
  • Weight: 33.60 lbs
It looks like if you saw 10A output, you were getting close to the Optimum Operating Current of 10.35A.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:31pm
Are you OK with “Two 100 watt Eclipse Solar Panels” as described on Renogy site? Would you not expect two 100 watt 12v. Eclipse panels?

F
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>