R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRenogy RipOff - please tell me otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renogy RipOff - please tell me otherwise
    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:53pm
As I said, that is a question for Renogy to answer. I have not measured the output of my panels so I would not be able to say whether they are 6V or 12V. What you purchased is a "200 Watt Eclipse Monocrystaline Solar Suitcase. I do not see anywhere in the description that shows that each panel is 12V. If, as you state, each panel is 6V, then wired in series would give you 12V. It is possible that the two panels in my 100W Eclipse solar suitcase are also 6V in series to deliver the rated 12V, 100A. However, the most likely explanation is that somehow, the wrong label was placed on the back of your panels. The fact that the panels you received match the dimensions that I posted and not the dimensions on the label in your picture are another indicator that the wrong label was pasted on the back of your panel.

Edit: See pages 14 and 17 in your manual for the correct specifications.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:03pm
You do understand the advantages/disadvantages or two 6v panels vs. two 12v panels, right? There is a considerable difference. What would you do with a single 6v panel if the other was damaged? In a 200 watt system, do you understand the advantage of using a MPPT controller over a PWM controller? I’m not being condescending, but there are distinct advantages to two 100 watt 12v panels vs. two 100 watt 6v panels that I, admittedly, should have understood before purchasing.
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:12pm
Yes, I do understand the differences between MPPT and PWM. I also understand that the suitcase needs both panels to operate and that each panel by itself might not be functional. I purchased based on the system being negative ground like our RPods. I saw less expensive positive ground setups while shopping, but avoided them.The Renogy had the advantage of being at a price I felt I could afford after dropping a lot of dollars on an LiFePO4 battery.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:19pm
Why should a two panel system require both panels to operate? I don’t understand. In a 12v system any 12v panel should be able to operate independently, albeit at lower power output. Right?
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:31pm
I'm not sure. Since I have the solar suitcase, it would make no sense to separate them for use. I'm not a solar engineer though, so I don't have the answers to some of these questions. If it were two separate panels, I could see your point. In that case, they would be connected in parallel. The suitcase is made to be used as a suitcase, so connection in series is not an issue. The panels are not meant to be used separately. That is purely my opinion though. To get the full answer, you would need have someone much more knowledgeable and/or get it from Renogy.

Victron has a pretty good white paper on PWM vs. MPPT.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:11pm
Thanks Stephen. I'm pretty up to speed on PWM vs. MPPT, particularly on a 200W+ system, but thanks for the link. Many argue that they would rather have two 12v batteries in parallel instead of two 6v batteries in series using the argument that you can always use just one. Similar. Actually, my bigger goal as I mentioned wayyy back ago was to be able to use a smaller gauge wire from 200W series connected panels @ ~40v to MPPT controller over greater distance than ~20v to PWM and to possibly capture an additional 20-30% increase in controller output. But, hey, I'm just learning here and always enjoy hearing the experiences of others.

I am adding a 100W panel to TV roof rack which will pump a few more amps to battery bank while under way and easily be deployed in campground. No reason not to have multiple controllers feeding battery bank as far as I can tell.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:21pm
I will be looking forward to reading how that additional panel on the TV roof rack works out.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 6:09am
Originally posted by fwunder

If you think I'm making too much out of this let me know. I'm just bummed that I didn't get what I thought I was getting and pissed at myself for not knowing!!

fred

fwunder, Have you disconnected one panel and tested? Getting 10amps would be too much for two 6v panels to achieve. 

Wattage may indeed be wattage, yet two 6v panels in series 'only increases voltage, amperage remains.. My impression is the singular panel is 12v and made up from two 6v modules. Testing one alone would prove/disprove this theory.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

fwunder, Have you disconnected one panel and tested? Getting 10amps would be too much for two 6v panels to achieve. 

I'm not sure I follow. I did test voltage @ both PV junction box @ 9.75v with panels disconnected.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 6:45am
I am theorizing the two 32 cell 100 watt panels are made up of two 50 watt 16 cell units in parallel - which may help explain the label.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>