R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother RPod Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another RPod Question
    Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 12:55pm
Ok, I have another question.  I'm looking at the Rpod brochure, and it lists the "Unloaded Vehicle Weight" for the 173T at 2245, and the hitch weight at 282, and the load capacity at 1537.

Then I go to RVNation, which I like looking at because of the detailed photos they post, and they have a photo of a sticker on a 173 T that says "Dry Cargo Weight" 2463 and Cargo capacity of 1302.

These numbers don't match the numbers on the brochure at all.

Where do I find the definitions for all these terms, and how do I figure out the TOTAL weight of the TT and its cargo capacity, so I can figure out what our small SUV can pull?  We have an Xterra that's rated to 5000 pounds.

When evaluating these Rpods, do I go by the brochure and add the unloaded vehicle weight, the hitch weight, and the load capacity?   If I go by the numbers on the brochure, the vehicle weight and hitch weight are 2527, and if I add a load capacity of 1537, that's 4064.

How do those numbers relate to the numbers on the sticker of the 173T I'm looking at on RVnation?

And further, even though the xterra says it's rated to 5000 lbs., my husband is concerned about being able to tow that much, and wants to keep the weight much lower.

I understand that there's no "one answer," but if someone could clear up these terms or point me to a website where they are all defined and I can figure it out, that'd be great.

Also, how much do you think I should figure our gear will weigh for four of us?  Does everyone generally travel with an empty or almost empty water tank?

Clearly, there is a lot more to buying a TT than just going and picking one out . . . must look at Amazon.com for "Travel Trailering for Dummies."
Okiepoders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 2:19pm
We have a 175 and are getting ready to tow it with our 06 Xterra about 1500 mile to Wyoming and mostly boondocking when we get there.
We've taken it on one short over nite trip (about 100 miles round trip) and the Xterra did okay.
My husband had a tranny temp gauge installed and the person who put it in for him told him to
watch it if it got over 160.  We've found that that is the normal temp not towing and with O/D on. It seemed to level out around 220 towing the pod in 100ยบ+ temps.
I noticed the sticker you're talking about on the inside lower left of the door on our 175. We are planning on traveling with a full water tank as of right now, but that has changed a couple of times over the past week. When we bought the Xterra(used) last year, the dealer and our RV dealer assured us it should pull the Rpod with no problems.
I also would like the Towing a Travel trailer for dummies book if you find one somewhereSmile
I will let you know how it goes on our trip.
Pam
Pam & Dan
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 3:34pm
The UVW of 2245 in the brochure is the weight of that model/year 'pod with standard equipment.  Some things like A/C are optional, and that would be added to the UVW to get you to 2463 on that specific 'pod (with the leftover capacity for your own stuff of 1302).  Subtract from 1302 any water you carry (black + gray + fresh) at 8 pounds per gallon, don't forget the 6 gallons in the water heater.  Also subtract the weight of the battery and the propane in the tank.  Finally any clothes, dishes, pans, food, chairs, etc. that you load inside.  For most people you won't come close to the max capacity unless you travel with all the tanks full so don't worry about adding it up.  99% of the time you'll only have the fresh water tank full when you leave to go dry camping, and coming back all the tanks will be empty because you dump the black + gray at the campground.

As for the tow vehicle (TV), again, with a 5000 pound rating you won't come close so don't worry about it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Okiepoders

I also would like the Towing a Travel trailer for dummies book if you find one somewhereSmile
I will let you know how it goes on our trip.
Pam

You have the book at your fingers tips,  Read both forums from the beginning and you'll find every helpful it there is, plus valuable lessons learned from others mistakes.  

I printed the list of topics and just went through each one, printing things I thought were important at the time.  Of course when I did it last year there weren't as many topics and they weren't as long.  But there's volumes of information.   Another trick is to use the Advance search when looking for a particular topic, and be sure to choose "any date"  otherwise you only get the last 6 months of entries.

LeeClap 

P.S.  Are you too far for Texas Round Ups, if not your welcome to join in.  
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply