Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing 2020 R-pod 195 - Event Date: 21 Jul 2020 - 30 Jul 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Towing 2020 R-pod 195
    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 3:42pm
We bought a 2020 R-pod 195 dry weight 3687lb hitch weight 362 lb(weight distribution/sway hitch). We currently have a 2009 GMC Acadia SLT FWD with factory tow package/tow mode rated for 4500 lb tow capacity and installed a break controller ( where we bought the trailer) we have 122,000 miles on the GMC and are thinking about buying a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder 4wheeldrive with factory two package rated for 5000lb two capacity with less than 35,000 miles. Is this enough vehicle to safely/comfortably tow the R-pod 195?
We have gotten mixed messages from trailer dealer about the Acadia abilities to tow this trailer and not sure about going for Nissan Pathfinder. Any experience out there that can help??🙄 We are towing across country and back for a month long road trip this fall.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 4:08pm
Welcome.

Neither tow vehicle is really going to be adequate. Forget the trailer empty weight, no trailers actually hit the road at that weight. When selecting a TV look at the gross trailer weight, which is 4762, Then consider that the tow ratings are based on an empty tow vehicle with just the driver in it. You'll want a TV with a tow rating around 6000-7000 lbs for that trailer. That will give you some capacity to carry gear and people in the TV, have a reasonable amount of stuff in the trailer, and not be right on the edge of your max tow ratings all the time. I have a Highlander which also has a 5000 lb rating and I consider it the minimum to tow my 179 with, which weighs about 1000 lbs less than the 195. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 6:25pm
I agree with neither vehicle being adequate to tow, especially cross country. I tow my 195 with a Nissan Frontier with 6100-6500 tow capacity (depending on who you ask) and it can tow it, but long steep climbs work it. I think if your going thru some of those western mountains, it would be a little touchy. Having a 5000 pound tow cap will be really tough. Can you find a 2017 or newer pathfinder, they have a 6000 pound tow cap now. At least that gives you a good fighting chance. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Gail View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 6:43pm
Thank you off grid. I'm assuming the 4762lb gross TT weight you used Is the TT loaded with food,dishes, bedding, clothes and the like. Other wise the trailer weighs 3587 and hitch weighs 362 which includes propane tanks which equals 3949lb.
So that would be assuming 813 lb of cargo for the trailer? Between myself and my husband we add at least 390lb to the TV and any other gear we might add maybe around 300lb.
Looks like we need a vehicle with more tow capacity, maybe Chevy Colorado v6 3.5L with factory tow package?? Or something like that.
Lesson learned don't trust the Travel Trailer sales person to tell you your vehicle is adequate to tow the trailer you are buying do lots of research to make sure first!! 😳😐
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 7:05pm
800 lbs isn't that much. Your batteries aren't included in the dry weight. If you plan on boondocking you should get two, 6V golf cart batteries are best. That would add over 120 lbs. Dry weight doesn't include the water in the water heater, 50 lbs. If you fill your fresh water tank because you don't have water where you;re camping that's 250 lbs. You probably will want a better mattress, that will add 30 lbs or so. And we haven't even gotten to food, beverages, and clothing etc....

A Colorado with a tow package would be fine, but if you like SUV's (it sounds like you do)  there are plenty of choices there too. 

Here's what my dad always warned me about salespeople: Are they in sales? Is their mouth moving? Then they are lying. It's always served me well. You can't really blame them, that's their livelihood...

Sounds like you bought the trailer you wanted and were already planning to upgrade your TV, And you've come to the right place for unbiased advice. So, you're doing good!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Gail View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 12:13am
Was not planning on TV upgrade until we discovered that we were maxed out or over the limits on our weights for towing the 195. Oh well, the learning curve.
Thanks for the reality check.
Gail View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 12:19am
Thanks for your input it is helpful and I'm looking for vehicles with better tow rate now, looks like we will spend more to get what we need. Lesson learned. Looking forward to getting on the road with safe vehicle and enjoying the country.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:46am
I believe the new Ford Ranger is the best tow rated mid size truck for towing. It also comes with an eco boost engine that handles climbing, and elevation very well. But if you plan on doing a lot of cross country type towing, I would think you would want a full sized truck or s.u.v. Also, I'm of the thought process that I want to be able to bring what ever I want. I pack pretty much whatever I want in my camper or truck, and don't ever question if I should bring it. Buy the vehicle that gives you the freedom. Good Luck with this decision, and camp the heck out of your 195.  Pod on!!
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 10:25am
To add to mjlrpod's point, don't think towing with a lighter vehicle will improve your fuel economy. The air drag of the trailer and the speed you tow at will set your fuel use, not the size of the tow vehicle.  You will get around 12-14 mpg, maybe a little more if you drive 55, less in the mountains. 

If, like me, you mostly use your tow vehicle as a daily driver and don't otherwise need a big truck or SUV,  then staying on the smaller side is fine as long as it has a rating of at least 6000 lbs. If you're using it mostly for towing, then a full size truck or equivalent might be give you more flexibility. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 11:04am
I'm noticing a trend here....people are starting to agree with me!

When it comes to choosing a tow vehicle, SIZE MATTERS!

Wink
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>