Topic ClosedTractors and Hobby Farming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractors and Hobby Farming
    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:49pm
Also an old MF guy, last one I had was with a Sherman tank trans. It was a 50s model.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 8:17am
Wow, lots of good info here. I’ve looked at the tractor forums of course, but those tend to be divided by brand so you only get green options on the JD pages and orange lovers on the Kubota sites, etc.

Podwerks, you have the wrong sitcom. Since I’m only 25 country miles from Mt Airy, the model for Mayberry, it should be Andy, Opie, Gomer, Barney, and aunt Bee 😜

I’m not a Hokie, I have a brass rat from a nerdy place a bit further north. But I’ve worked with and hired several Hokies and been impressed by their education . So Blacksburg amenities did play into the selection process. We also wanted to get some cooler weather by gaining elevation while not being too far north and having those short winter days. Nice 4 season climate here but all are fairly moderate. Good growing economic region (at least it was...). Our long term plan is to live out here till we get too old, then hand it off to the kids and move over to suburban Blacksburg/Christiansburg, then to the very nice assisted living my dad is in, then try hard to check out before winding up in a nursing home...😝

I did a little more surveying, a few slopes are about 35% (19-20 degrees). That just looks scary. No significantly flatter spot at the top and to turn either. Not sure how the old guy mowed that with the old Ford 8N but he did...

I’ll respond with some follow up questions when I get back to somewhere with better data service...

Thanks!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 4:48pm
This hits were you and I are in common. Then those areas we are not.. Life Dude!

I'm doing somewhat the same here, but... smaller.. only 3.5 acres... interesting terrain, though south exposure. Using what I have to make the impossible (by others) happen.. My life as it exists and happy with it.

I'm watching deeply for a strong/smaller style front loader. Those I have used, I've not better by, ya means a little hand work at spots, but what has not... Bang for the dollar??? You decide.. 

Sorry, but will not mention the one I'm looking for until I get it... You're within my driving range to get one.. Just think 'front-loader' a bit.. 

Safe Travels!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 6:41pm
OK, back "on grid" so to speak. Going to need sat internet at the new place I think..,

So great suggestions here, thanks all for sharing your perspectives.

GlueGuy,I hear ya on the 100% slopes in the SC mountains. Folks from the East don't realize how steeply CA rises from from the coast. On your Kubota's inclinometer,  what do you have your yellow tilt range set at? Is that for sideways travel or up and down? It's been suggested that I get a utility tractor and not a compact tractor for the work I need to do, 12 acres is considered a lot for a compact to manage here in VA. How much mowing do you do with yours? What benefits do you find compelling with HST over gear drive? 

Pod people. that is good advice about the scraper blade vs the box blade. The box blade seems to be better for spreading gravel, the scraper for grooming. Of the two, you're not the first to suggest the scrape blade. Its also good for plowing snow I gather. Getting the auger stuck in the ground, wow. I'd never heard of a reversible PTO before. Have to look into that. I agree on older tractors maintenance wize, especially compared to the newer Tier V diesels that have all the particulate emissions systems.  If yous stay below I think 25 hp then tier V doesn't apply but that would limit me to around a 4 ft brush hog probably on my hills. It might get pretty tedious mowing 12+ acres. Anyhow, an older machine won't have those issues and will be less expensive. 

podwerks, you're right the more recent tractors are sourced around the world, with AGCO in particular it seems hard to even figure our where the machines come from. Because of all the mowing I'm leaning toward old school gear drive if I don't get a loader tractor for the reasons you suggest. There is a thing called shuttle shift which I guess gives you fwd/rev synchro on a geared tractor. I drove one compact utility loader tractor with is and it seemed like it might make the close in work easier without having the hydro drive inefficiency mowing. Might be the best compromise if I can find the right machine?  

TT, Pod people, mcarter, three old MF fans, who would have guessed? Pod People, that's a great looking machine.  I really liked the one I drove too, 'cept for the steering. Must keep all three of you in shape. The later model MF240 I tried seemed like a good fit for me, unless I decided to get a loader, in which case the lack of 4wd is an issue.

So here's the question, I can probably afford either a well used compact utility 4wd tractor with a loader, or an older  utility 2wd tractor, possibly also with a loader if I'm lucky. What do you all recommend, considering that the loader will have lots of practical uses but most of my seat hour will be mowing my hills? 

StephenH, good idea about the garbage cams. The previous owners just left regular cans and said the bears never came that close to the house. Apparently there are at least 4 in the immediate area according to the neighbors. 

Olddawgsrule, no worries, I"m  not going all he way to New England to buy a tractor, and I'm not in a huge rush to buy one anyhow, not even being sure yet what I want/need...God luck on your purchase!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by offgrid

StephenH, good idea about the garbage cams. The previous owners just left regular cans and said the bears never came that close to the house. Apparently there are at least 4 in the immediate area according to the neighbors.

When we moved here 30 years ago a neighbor warned me about bears and a naked indian.  I've never seen either, although, there was a bear spotted on a game camera in the other end of the county last winter.  First known bear in the area since not long after Davey Crockett's time.  You're more in bear country.  Not tempting bears on purpose or in ignorance is the best practice for you and the bears.  I have some experience with them in the Smokies. 

Garbage cams might be really interesting for bears but I thought Stephen said garbage cans.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 8:27pm
Ha ha. I hate spell checker sometimes...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 9:45pm
If you need to mow even half of 25 acres, 12 acres or so, you should consider something like a Toro Groundsmaster....they can be had used for not a huge amount of money. Assuming your pastures are relatively smooth and mostly all grassy. 

Of course if the terrain is difficult, rough, stepped, heavily contoured, or there is a lot of weeds and brush, then....nevermind....
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 5:40am
Yeah, it isn't 12 acres of manicured lawn, that's for sure.....

I've toyed with the idea of getting a UTV and a tow behind weed and brush mower rather than a tractor. That would have the advantage of having a lower center of gravity (smaller wheels) and the UTV would be convenient for other uses. and for my wife to carry stuff around in. But those tow behind cutters are generally only about 4 ft for trail mowing which would take forever and likely not hold up long. Probably by the time the pastures were cut I'd have to start over.....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by offgrid

OK, back "on grid" so to speak. Going to need sat internet at the new place I think..,

Olddawgsrule, no worries, I"m  not going all he way to New England to buy a tractor, and I'm not in a huge rush to buy one anyhow, not even being sure yet what I want/need...God luck on your purchase!

I'm assuming you have already done a tower search and find them to far for a Yagi & Booster.

Ha, you're within my drive possibility for the right deal! You're smart enough to work out what the requirements are for you. Best of in your research!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:02am

Seems like, as always, there are too many choices and options and it’s hard to actually compare them because they are so divergent.

I may be repeating myself from the earlier posts-but here is what I think:

I do know that most of the later model (’65 on) tractors had power steering available-some standard, some as an option. So that requirement can go either way-newer compact or older small farm tractor.

My tractor is gas, so I have no experience with diesel.  I can’t address the advantages or disadvantages.

The reversing PTO may be a dream-I just know that I was dumb enough to screw my tractor into the ground the first time I dug holes for my pole barn. I do know that both ground speed (for plowing) and engine speed(mowing) PTO are available on my old MF.  I seldom use the ground speed mode but usually use engine speed for mowing. My MF 35 also has a dual action clutch which makes engaging/using the PTO much easier.

I would definitely say that the scraper blade is more versatile that the box blade.  I have used both and ended up selling the box blade.

I can’t help with front end loaders-no experience there. I know that you will probably have to add weights to the rear to compensate for the extra front weight.  You also will need additional hydraulics(pump, reservoir, hoses, etc)

Cost may be a determining factor.  I see “older” tractors in the $5-8k range pretty frequently in our central NC area. Buying implements can be all over the place costwise.  I haven’t priced newer compact tractors, but assume they are much more expensive. So, if you can find a well maintained older tractor, I feel like you can get more for the $$$ spent. The maintenance is pretty easy, the tractors are simple and parts are generally available at reasonable cost. However, these older tractors are not a sophisticated-one tractor forum guy says”after all, you are dealing with ‘50’-60’s technology”.

I have purchased tractors, implements and parts from dealers and from individuals.  Had some good and ‘just ok” results from both.  Lots of on line sources for parts.

I would suggest that you start with whatever tractor you can find somewhat locally at a decent price, knowing that may not be the ultimate tractor you end up with.  Then start acquiring the necessary implements as needed.  All of the implements with be “standard” for 3 point hitch and PTO.  After you have more experience with what you actually need and want, then you will have more information to get the “perfect” tractor for what you really need. Getting a tractor now will get you immediately started, will let you know what you like/dislike about the tractor and give you time to find the better unit.

Regardless of what tractor you purchase, I would suggest that you buy ALL of the manuals you can find for that model-owner’s, workshop, parts lists and get both the original OEM manuals as well as aftermarket.  Particularly on older models the manuals go out of print and can be pretty expensive, but are invaluable.  Also, like RPODS, there are forum for everything.

Good luck

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>