Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTractors and Hobby Farming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractors and Hobby Farming
    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:40am
Vann, I think your advice is good. In fact, your area is not far from me so if you hear of something you think is a good option please let me know. 

I have no problems getting a well maintained older smaller farm tractor rather than a newer compact utility one, except for the lack of a ROPS. Some can be retrofitted I guess, but it gets pricey. 

Gas vs diesel I don't think is a deal killer for me,  gas will start easier in winter, diesel will have less maintenance. But I can adjust a carb and know what points and condensers are, not a big deal. 

I looked at a 1980 Yanmar today, nice 2wd tractor and heavier than I thought it would be, kinda close to a 50's Ford in terms of weight and wheelbase. It had a 4 speed pto which I'd never seen before. 26hp diesel. 12 fwd and 4 rev gears with something called powershift, automatic hydraulic clutch with a sychronized  gear drive.   No ROPS so I'll find out if it can be retrofitted. 

You're right about collecting the attachments, those can quickly cost more than an older tractor.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I'm assuming you have already done a tower search and find them to far for a Yagi & Booster.

Ha, you're within my drive possibility for the right deal! You're smart enough to work out what the requirements are for you. Best of in your research!

Actually I haven't yet, cell data plans are throttled and my wife works from home and uses lots of bandwidth, so I want to try dsl first and see how that works. But now that you mention it I might see if I can pull in a decent signal, at least that would be something for when the phone lines go out. 

I don't have a rig that can tow a 3000-4000 lb tractor plus its trailer so that is going to limit my search area quite a bit unless I can find a seller who will deliver.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 1:03pm
My two cents worth:
Consider delay time before you commit to a satellite service. The satellites are 22.5K+ miles away and introduce considerable delay. This is not a problem for downloading or streaming but can affect two way and interactive applications. Video conferencing is probably out. I even noticed problems when trying to access my home remote cameras from a friends satellite system. Also, search for local broadband providers that may offer ground based microwave systems. These systems work fairly well if you can see their tower.

As for the tractor search, I can only say 'I wish". I'd love to have a tractor to play with but settled for a zero turn riding mower for my 2.6 acres. When I had 20 acres previously I had a small Case tractor, but alas, it's gone. Good luck on your search and have lots of fun. Orange vs red vs green vs gray vs rust......Hmmmmm.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 2:00pm
Well at least the rust color is applied locally for free, you can get it around here with any and all the other colors...

Yes, VOIP via sat data is out for my wife's work, she's on the phone all day. Other than that I see the latency as a benefit because it makes the connection useless for online gaming when the grandkids visit. Evil Smile

If I have to go with sat data I'll probably need to also install a landline.  Remember those? Haven't had one in 10 years.  Almost like having to climb the pole to make phone calls like on Green Acres....

I do like wireless local internet. One supplier has already surveyed and said no line of sight, I still have one more to get out there. US Cellular (of all companies) actually has towers in the area and offers fixed location internet service but its throttled more or less like mobile cellular. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 6:33pm
ROPS is a good idea but I've never had it and I'm still alive.  I have had a friend who lost his son to a rollover though, so they are absolutely no laughing matter.  For me though, I have rough land and have to be careful bushogging, but I mow under low hanging branches a lot.  ROPS would be a real handicap.  Before my MF 35 I had a John Deere 1010 gas tractor.  No ROPS but it had a muffler that stood straight up.  I knocked it off several times.  The MF muffler runs under the rear axle, kind of like a motorcycle.  Never a problem with getting under things.  However, for rough bushhogging you have to be really careful backing up!  There are all kinds of things I'm dumb enough to have had to learn the hard way.

My friend's son was on an old trike style tractor,  I don't remember what kind.  It doesn't take much to tip them over.  A tractor with front wheels on about the same track as the rears is a lot safer.  Arguably, certainly, ROPS is less necessary on a tractor with wide-set front wheels.  I wouldn't have a trike stile tractor.

Although... I had another friend whose father died when his bull dozer flipped over on him. 

I guess the moral of the story is take things slow until you get comfortable on your tractor.  You have to pay attention all the time. 

Oh, yeah, one thing I think is really important for a new used tractor is to make sure the brakes work well.  Being able to use the right or left brake to help make sharp turns is great and, as far as I'm concerned pretty much eliminates the need for power steering.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 7:30pm
Yah, I've learned that about the brakes on the old Ford that was originally at my new place that the seller used. I'm guessing thats especially important with 2wd tractors. Just looking at them the front ends really can't be doing that much, and once you put a brush hog on the 3 pt..The Ford wouldn't steer worth a damn until I started using the brakes. Scared me. My worry is that knowing that isn't the same as doing it right when I need to until my "muscle memory" kicks in. I'm sure its going to be like learning to fly an airplane was. the first hours are the highest risk. And, the older you get the slower you learn....

As I understand it, you draw a trapezoid between the contact patches of the 4 tires. If the cg falls outside of that trapezoid over you go. So downhill on a tricycle tractor, not good....

So many farmers have died from tractor rollovers, its really sad. Everyone around here I've talked to seems to either have a relative or know a neighbor who has died that way. Steep mountain land?   And much of the time it results in the loss of the farm and the family heritage. I just don't want to take the risk, apparently the survival rate with ROPS ans seat belt from a rollover is about 99% vs 30% without. That's pretty compelling odds in my case, If I was younger and had flatter land I might feel differently...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:24am
Originally posted by offgrid

Yah, I've learned that about the brakes on the old Ford that was originally at my new place that the seller used. I'm guessing thats especially important with 2wd tractors. Just looking at them the front ends really can't be doing that much, and once you put a brush hog on the 3 pt..The Ford wouldn't steer worth a damn until I started using the brakes.

The independent R&L brakes are integral for steering, I suspect for even a 4WD with power steering.  There are times when you want to make a 90° turn in place, maybe depending on the job you're doing.  Mowing hay, for example, but possibly when bush hogging in some situations.  (I wonder if bush or brush hogging is a regional thing.) 

I think you're right about muscle memory regarding tractor braking.  I do it without thinking.  You learn fast though.  While you're learning you can drop a gear or two and just go slower.  That's a nice thing about tractors.  Set the engine to 1900 rpm, or whatever, choose the gear you want for ground speed and your PTO speed is 540 regardless, so the mower or bush hog turns at the right speed no matter what.  The bush hog will generally do a nicer job at lower ground speeds, which I guess is the silver lining.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

[
The independent R&L brakes are integral for steering, I suspect for even a 4WD with power steering.  There are times when you want to make a 90° turn in place, maybe depending on the job you're doing.  Mowing hay, for example, but possibly when bush hogging in some situations.  (I wonder if bush or brush hogging is a regional thing.)  
TT

Me to seller of loader tractor with attachments: Got a bush hog?
Seller: Yep
Me: Great, I have 12 acres of pasture to mow
Seller: Huh? I don't have a mower for it.
Me: Huh? You just told me you did.
Seller: No I didn't.

After that went on a little it finally became clear that he had a Bush Hog brand loader on his tractor.
So now I say "brush hog".  You can't call it a mower either because that could be a "finish mower".  Embarrassed

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:16am
Originally posted by offgrid

Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I'm assuming you have already done a tower search and find them to far for a Yagi & Booster.

Ha, you're within my drive possibility for the right deal! You're smart enough to work out what the requirements are for you. Best of in your research!

Actually I haven't yet, cell data plans are throttled and my wife works from home and uses lots of bandwidth, so I want to try dsl first and see how that works. But now that you mention it I might see if I can pull in a decent signal, at least that would be something for when the phone lines go out. 

I researched plans for traveling and for home. AT&T 'had' one they promoted that gave me unlimited on 4 devices (one being a internet box) for less that my 20 gig combined Verizon for 2 phones (then my cost of internet). No brainer for me.. Throttled yes, but have to blow through 4 limits before an issue. Watch the plans as they promote them. Hopefully you can find good signal from both Big Boys so you can have choices. 
I worked from the road and home for the last year of employment. The system worked great from home, okay on the road (obvious reasons).

Emergency contact.. think Ham! Do a tower search in the area, if you have 'a', you can bounce through them all! Systems out now that you can 'text' with Ham to cell phones (only hearing about them, haven't used). 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:48am
Even though they are generically called 'rotary cutter' in the catalog, most tractor owners dont call them that.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>