Topic ClosedTractors and Hobby Farming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractors and Hobby Farming
    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:21pm
We always called then shredders. I've cut many a cedar with them.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:35pm
To add more confusion to Tars’ reply—-When we were in Washington and Oregon, we saw signs reading”Caution, Brushers Ahead”. We had no idea what they were talking about. Finally, we came around a curve and there it was—a brusher!
It was a tractor with an articulated arm mounted midship and a “bush hog” on the end of the arm. It was cutting the branches and foliage on vertical edge of the right of way. I have seen these before many times here in NC, but never heard them called brushers.  In fact, I don’t know what they are called
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 7:07am
Boom mower or boom cutter. Usually they use flail mowers rather than rotary cutters along roadsides because flail mowers throw out less stuff to damage ppl's cars. Flail mowers rotate chains around a horizontal shaft which beats the vegetation up but doesn't throw it out far. If you see a rotary cutter along a roadway like that keep way back if you like your paint job. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 9:22am
A question of curiosity, do tractors come with seat belts? My brother many years ago sold his tractor because he developed MS and was afraid of falling off. I used a tractor some mowing a orange grove and remembered it being bouncy at times that I held on and slowed down.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 9:41am
I suppose you could add them to an open tractor, but I would not want to be attached to a large, heavy rolling piece of machinery....similar to a motorcycle, you do NOT want to be strapped to the cartwheeling wreckage. 

A ROPS bar would help if you were strapped in, but I'd always want to be able to jump free of the event.

A tractor with an enclosed operator safety cage is of course, the exception...they DO have seatbelts.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 10:05am
Here's what I've read:

A ROPS is really a roll over protection system, meaning it is a combination of a rollbar and a setbelt. Neither is much good without the other, if not worse. Together the rollbar creates a safety zone for your body and the seatbelt keeps you in that zone when the tractor goes over. 

From what I read, survival rate in a rollover using both goes from around 30% to 99%. I like those odds.  If you are working the tractor under low hanging trees though the sealtbelt can be dangerous because a branch can take your head off rather than just pulling you out of the tractor. So, you need to pick and choose what you do based on conditions. I think I will go for a chainsaw to fix the tree problem myself. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by offgrid

Gets cold here though (relative to CA) so I'm a bit concerned about winter starts. 

I have fixed wireless too and its a great service but so far none of the providers have service at our new location. I was pretty surprised the DSL worked, this place is 2 miles up a gravel road and there ie nothing anywhere close by on the highway either. Going to have to find out where the CO is. Maybe that's why the only promise 1.5 mbps? 

I only need the glow plugs on the first start in the morning. After that, it starts up like a car. I can walk away from it for 4-5 hours, and turn the key and boom, it's running. I don't know what Kubota does, but it's always been an easy starter.

Out here, the main impediment to fixed wireless is the terrain. If your property is large enough with enough variation in elevation, it might be possible to put up a private relay. We have done this in a number of situations. We put up a solar-powered relay at a suitable high spot, and relay the service down to the home (or whatever). Because the relay is point-to-point, this doesn't affect the throughput, but will add a few milliseconds of latency.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:23pm
My last option for fixed wireless service providers told me no can do. No towers serving the area. So I think its either dsl (which I have operating at 3 mbps now), satellite (latency and throttling) or US Cellular fixed internet service (throttling). 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:12pm
To paraphrase an old sage: When I go flying through the air the last thing I want strapped to my butt is a tractor. Probably applies without ROPS. Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 8:58pm
Interesting discussion and I am getting in late.  20 acres here in northern Michigan and about 1 mile south of the exact 45th parallel.  Being in the golf industry for many years I have seen my share of gas and diesel tractors which include Jacobsen, Toro, Ford, MF, International, Case, and most recently Kubota.  Horsepower range on all these was anywhere from 35 (Jacobsen) to 65 Kubota.  In all cases I coundn't really complain about any of them, they were all real workhorses and did a spectacular especially considering their age and number of hours logged.  Maintenance is key to all of them.

At home I mow 3.5 acres, maybe a smidge more with a 1989 Toro Groundsmaster 220, it has a 52" deck, 23 HP Continental gas engine with just under 4000 hours.  It doesn't look real purdy, but it gets the job done.  Very dependable and gives a professional cut to boot.  Height of deck can be adjusted from 1" to 4" (with 1/2" increments in between) by removing 4 pins on the deck, takes about 1 minute to change height of cut if needed. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>