This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello there! - Event Date: 25 Jul 2020 - 30 Jul 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hello there!
    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 12:45pm
Welcome!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 2:23pm
Welcome norwester so many great places to...even on the logging roads
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Katie189 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:52am
Good morning fellow podders! I am new to this forum and will be picking up my 2020 R-Pod 189 on Friday (Her name is Ronnie). I've never owned a travel trailer but have motorhome experience for the past 35 years. I look forward to some local travel before I head up north. I'm looking into a generator for back up power. Any suggestions? I'm also looking for a cover. Suggestions welcomed. Looking forward to a lot of good information from you all!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:03am
Hi and welcome.

Re the generator it depends on what you want to run from it. If you want to run the air conditioner you will either need something around 3KW or higher in order to get the a/c  started reliably or a  2kW plus an easystart soft start system for the a/c. If you just want to use it to recharge the battery then a small 1-2kw genny will work. 

Note that most campgrounds don't allow generator use at night. 

Another important consideration is weight. A 2kW weighs about 50lb. A 3kw about 100. So, you need to consider where you are keeping the generator and how you're moving it around. 

Another consideration is fuel. Most generators  run on gasoline but you can also get propane ones. 

At low power levels, inverter generators run quieter than non inverter ones. At full load there isn't a lot of difference.

There is no one right choice for everyone. My personal choice out of the above considerations ended up being a Honda 2KW inverter generator running on propane plus an easystart for the a/c. 

if your power needs are pretty low (no a/c or microwave) you could also consider using solar. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:21am

I broke it in on propane and unless there is no other choice (e.g. out of propane and need to do so) will only run it on propane. It is heavy, but is relatively quiet, not quite as much as a Honda, but a whole lot less expensive. It will start the AC, but I do have an EasyStart installed from when I was using an Generac iX2000.

If all you want to do is charge batteries, you could get a DC to DC charger and, provided you put a battery isolator and run a dedicated line from the tow vehicle battery to the charger. use your tow vehicle to charge the battery when you do not have shore power available. Renogy sells a 20A and a 40A DC to DC charger. The 40A version would be provide almost as much charging power as the WFCO converter. I have the 20A installed in my RPod and the dedicated circuit wired from my Frontier (see my mods) for my LiFePO4 battery and it works well. I can both charge the battery and run the refrigerator on DC while driving.

Now, if you are looking for backup power for your house in addition to camping use, I think you would be happier with something like the Firman or other 3000W generator. Anything less would be questionable for backup power for your house. Even the 3000W model will keep your refrigerator and/or freezer going and provide for some lighting, but don't count on it to run your house's AC unit. You would need more like a 10KW unit for that.

Please tell us more of what you want to do with it. That makes a big difference on what you will need.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by StephenH

If all you want to do is charge batteries, you could get a DC to DC charger and, provided you put a battery isolator and run a dedicated line from the tow vehicle battery to the charger. use your tow vehicle to charge the battery when you do not have shore power available. Renogy sells a 20A and a 40A DC to DC charger. The 40A version would be provide almost as much charging power as the WFCO converter. I have the 20A installed in my RPod and the dedicated circuit wired from my Frontier (see my mods) for my LiFePO4 battery and it works well. I can both charge the battery and run the refrigerator on DC while driving.

StephenH, I would be a bit cautious about running a 40A dc/dc for a long time on an alternator on an engine idling in a campground. Alt current ratings are based at a fairly high rpm (I forget what atm) and drop a lot at idle. Also they don't get near as much cooling at idle, plus they still have to run all the TV house loads (electric fan, engine electrics, etc). Not saying any particular alt in an particular vehicle will or won't do it, just that I'd want to research it and do a test first, run it awhile at full idle load and check voltages and alt winding temps with an ir thermometer. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:10pm
Thanks. I had not considered heat. I got the 20A model which has performed quite well. I don't sit idling with it longer than needed, but it was mainly for while we were on the road use. Sitting still, I would use solar or generator. I wanted to offer it as an option though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:11pm
I'm sure 20A is fine. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:30pm
I too have a 2020 189 and go solar all the way. Charges my batteries nicely, eliminates worry and does so when I hardly know it. Free fuel...but that is our needs...check out podmods maintenance tips and tricks for other needs section here. As for my 2020 ac...check out my recent discovery that may or may not help another 189er. Lots of good stuff on here
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Katie189 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 8:15pm
Thanks everyone for your input. It is all very helpful and I think I'm going with the Honda 2KW inverter on propane with the east start. Countdown to picking up my R-Pod. I'm very excited! Any suggestions of covers would be appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>