R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHanging things on the walls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanging things on the walls
    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:43am
Hello fellow rpodders!
Question - I just bought a 196. Can I put holes in the walls? Or do I need to use the 3M sticky things?

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:00am
Its your trailer, you can put holes in the walls if you want. The walls are thin lauan plywood, don't expect them to hold anything very heavy, and the walls are only 1 inch thick so don't use fasteners longer than that. There is only foam in there so no benefit for the screws to engage more than the quarter inch lauan anyway. The sticky things will probably fall off qucikly, trailers are more subject to temp and humidity changes that houses so the adhesive will be more likely to have problems. Also, consider that anything you hang on the wall will effectively be twice as heavy as the same item will be at home, due to roadway bump loads. 

If you want to try to hit the aluminum wall structure that would make for a stronger attachment. There are videos showing rpod construction you can google showing roughly where that is. My internet connection is bad today or I'd post the link. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:31am
Thank you SO much
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 12:00pm
I am using, successfully, 3m Command hooks all through my 'Pod.  But, I don't leave anything on the hooks when moving. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 12:37pm
Thank you John!
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 12:48pm
I have had some success with the super heavy duty command strips.  They are like a hard velcro. It took several of them but I got a cute mirror to stay up in my bathroom.
Julie
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 12:48pm
We use the 3M Velcro hangers.  No need to take things down to tow the camper.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:11pm
We use the Velcro Command strip hangers for all our pictures (2 or 3 per picture) and we have a big fairly heavy cribbage board that we have hung with 4 of the heavy duty Velcro strips and the only time the board comes off the wall is when my wife wants to teach me a lesson in cribbage (then it goes back on the wall Ouch ) and we have never loss anything in our travels and we don't take anything down for travel.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
Gail View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 10:32am
I have found that you can see the staples that the manufacturer used to attach the wall panels to the frame on the interior walls. So look close to find them and that shows where the interior wall frame is. In our 195 we needed hooks in the bathroom we installed a nice board with 4 towel/robe hooks on the wall behind the toilet and is very firmly attached to the wall. Be mindful of the path of plumbing and electrical that may reside inside any wall you attach things with screws and the length of your screws. For the light weight things the stick on hangers and Velcro hangers may be fine, I would be sure they are placed where you want them to stay as they may be hard to remove without doing damage to your wall coverings (in the 195 it is wall paper in some areas).
"Humankind, be both"
2020 R-pod 195
2018 Chevy Colorado LT V-6 3.6L
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 10:41am
If you can't find the aluminum frame for attaching your hooks or screws, then you can try using a combination of 3M  double sided VBH heavy duty foam mounting tape and a short screw.  We used that in our Pod and never had a problem with anything coming lose.  We mounted some IKEA metal boxes in the galley and towel racks in the head.  I even used the towel rack as a "grab bar" in the head with no signs of it working lose.  But if what you want to hang on the wall is heavy, take it down before you hit the road and put it back at your destination.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>