R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDumping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumping
    Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 6:49pm
I have only done a little grey water dumping.
We don't have the "elbow" fitting for our drain hose. Just the tapered fitting that fits into the sewer.
My question. Would it be easier to use if I have the "elbow" fitting?  If so, what brand might be recommended.  I want the most efficent way and ease for this job. The husband has always used the other in the motorhomes, but I am not that adapt at the chore.
I note Camping World has a clear elbow that you attach clean water to to flush out line and tank.
Any good? Or do I need something entirely different.

Escape Pod
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 7:58am
I don't think you would need an elbow at the camper end.  One at the other end is a good idea.  So you have been camping quite a few times if you have had a motorhome.  Here are a few things to refresh your memory if you need them.

1. Wear disposable gloves and don't touch things with them after emptying the tanks.
2. Have a dedicated hose to rinse out the sewer hose.
3. Empty the black tank first.  The gray tank help clean out the hose after the black tank.
4. Have a sealed container for the sewer hose...or use the hose container that is provided.
5. NEVER trust the fresh water connection to be clean!  Spray it with bleach water first.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 8:25am
Yes, have had motorhomes for some years, the husband got to where he could not and did not want to fool with them and doing the sewer was up there on things he did not want to fool with. well, that is ok because I was not doing them, so did not really learn to do so.
The Pod is a learning curve for me, doing is pretty different from seeing!
So far I have parked near a bathroom (only been out twice in it) and dumped once, but was using the "water closet" for a storage closetLOL so it was only a bit of kitchen sink grey water.
The time is coming for its use.
I know I don't need the elbow for the camper end, but realized we don't have what might be a more efficent way to dump by having one for the ground end. He was more proficient at handing the above and uses the tapered end that has the hose screwed into it.  BUT often has to put a foot on it to be sure it is firmly seatedin the ground  and stays that wayStar I DON"T need to have 3 more hands to do all this when learning.
Also, I think I will hook up to the sewer when I get there, keep an eye on the tank level and dump when lights indicate there is a need.
I do remember to do the black water first, then flush with the grey water.
At this point I am drawing a blank on the flusing with a hose. I know if you are parked at a dump station there is an overhead hose for that purpose, but how it is done when you are still parked at your site. 
I will keep my eye on this forum AND also try Google, lots of unsual answers there.
I have to look in Camping World to find out the name of the other device and what , how it is used before I get an elbow. Will post about it later.
Thanks
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 9:06am
Another question.
Are the sewer hose supports helpful?
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Tamms View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 3:33pm
We did our first dump ever today (no pun intendedLOL). We "locked" the hose onto the r-pod sewer water outlet, put the other end with the elbow attached into the giant concrete "hole" at the park, and pulled out the handle on the tank. Hubs held on to the hose at the "hole" end but it wasn't necessary. Closed the outlet off again, detached hose at the r-pod end and lifted it up over his head to allow gravity to get the most possible water out of it into the "hole." We detached and moved to the grey water outlet and repeated. We then used the provided hose at the station to clean out hose with one end still in the "hole" and also the surrounding area. Hubs then put the hose back in the carrier that is mounted on the r-pod. I would be able to do it alone now.
Tammy, Robert, & Linus the morkie (Two & a Half Nerds)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 4:54pm

More questions on dumping

When using a dedicated hose for rinsing out the hose, you take your white water hose off the city water and hook the dedicated hose to city water.  I know at a dump station there is a hose to do this, but I am talking about when you are dumping with full hookups.

I, again, have been studying the RVHYDRO Flush. Keep reading that it makes it easier to "see" what you have accomplished, I take it you also use your dedicated hose to hook up to the clear 45 degree angle . I just have not seen one work, so having trouble "seeing" how it works.

And one more thing, at this timeStar Reading about how to use ice cubes to "scrub" the black water tank.  DO YOU DUMP THESE DOWN YOUR TOILET TO GET THEM INTO YOUR BLACK HOLDING TANK?

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Tamms View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

And one more thing, at this timeStar Reading about how to use ice cubes to "scrub" the black water tank.  DO YOU DUMP THESE DOWN YOUR TOILET TO GET THEM INTO YOUR BLACK HOLDING TANK?

Yes, this is what I was told along with some tank cleaner. We did not do that (no ice left) but we only had very diluted yellow water in our tank.
Tammy, Robert, & Linus the morkie (Two & a Half Nerds)
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 5:28pm

More questions on dumping

When using a dedicated hose for rinsing out the hose, you take your white water hose off the city water and hook the dedicated hose to city water.  I know at a dump station there is a hose to do this, but I am talking about when you are dumping with full hookups.
You have it right.  Camping World sells a gray hose for this purpose.  That way it won't get confused with the white one.

I, again, have been studying the RVHYDRO Flush. Keep reading that it makes it easier to "see" what you have accomplished, I take it you also use your dedicated hose to hook up to the clear 45 degree angle . I just have not seen one work, so having trouble "seeing" how it works.
It has a place to screw your dedicated (gray) hose on. 

Yep, dump them in the toilet.  You always want a little water, a few gallons, in your holding tanks.  That keeps things from drying out.

I picked up an ankle weight at a yard sale for a dollar and use it to hold the hose connection down.  Beats keeping your foot on it.

Terry

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 7:04pm
I bought an Easy Slip Hose Adapter at WalMart:

Its a bit difficult to tell from the picture, but the elbow detaches from the 4-way adapter.  I attached just the elbow part to my sewer hose and the whole unit easily fits into my stock sewer hose holder.  The adapter part is kept in my storage bay; although after a year of r-pod ownership, I've never run into a situation where I needed it, so I may take it out soon.

The elbow makes the trip to the dump station a bit easier as you can hook the elbow to the sewer lip and rest the sewer lid on top of the elbow to keep it in place.  With it, I can get away with a 10' sewer hose; without it, I'd need a 20' length (because a 10' hose wouldn't stretch out to its full length, plus I'd want at least 1.5' of hose in the sewer to prevent the possibility of the hose escaping)

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 10:02pm
I carry a  Y connector with shut offs, when I have full hook up and know I'm going to dump I put the connector on the water connection first.  That way I can just hook up the green hose and leave the white in place.  

Normally after packing up and hitching up I'm all sweating, so I take a quick shower and run the water in the toilet a little so both tanks have some fluid in them (and chemical).  The white hose and electric are the last to put away.

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>