R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBroken Welds on Floor Joists - Next step

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Welds on Floor Joists - Next step
    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

To me it's a simple thing. Oh ya, back from a Two Scouting run of backroads in New Hampshire and a few new finds. Back to topic...

Wet floor causing a weld break... especially aluminum.. that in the lifespan of a good weld?? Ya, convince yourself it's fine... 

Guys, really, enough has been said about such. Pay attention if you wish to your rig to last! 

Did you watch the video? As StephenH and John Marucci have said, that was a sagging floor in the 179 kitchen area between the frame rails. What does that have to do with weld breaks at the walls?  Please explain.

As I said, the floor design is not robust, it is as light and low cost as FR could make it. Clearly, it is prone to water damage and to sagging from heavy use, at least in the 179 kitchen area and it sounds like in the 181 as well. Whether it is adequate for in individual owner or not depends on how much use the trailer gets, how heavy the folks using it are, and on keeping it dry. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by offgrid

[Did you watch the video? As StephenH and John Marucci have said, that was a sagging floor in the 179 kitchen area between the frame rails. What does that have to do with weld breaks at the walls?  Please explain.

As I said, the floor design is not robust, it is as light and low cost as FR could make it. Clearly, it is prone to water damage and to sagging from heavy use, at least in the 179 kitchen area and it sounds like in the 181 as well. Whether it is adequate for in individual owner or not depends on how much use the trailer gets, how heavy the folks using it are, and on keeping it dry. 
I have not experienced a sagging floor. I just pointed out that it was PilotPodder who had that the sagging floor problem. However, putting in an additional brace or two would not be a bad idea.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:52pm
Here is an interesting post I found this on another Forest River forum -it may be useful as a method of reinforcing the floor in our 179's.  It is about reinforcing the water tanks, but the same concept could be used for floor reinforcement.
Vann
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f217/has-your-fresh-water-tank-grown-a-belly-212330-2.html

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:55pm
sorry, the link above is for the last page of that post-here is the correct link for the entire post
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f217/has-your-fresh-water-tank-grown-a-belly-212330.html
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123