R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Slide out bent floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hubcappizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide out bent floor
    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 3:51pm
I am on a 2015 forest river our pod 179 it has very large slide out
which includes the fridge and microwave and couch.
it’s regular operation for four years has been fine -
at full extension it has evidently bent the edge of the floor down approximately 2 inches
over the frame rail. Has anybody else had this issue have you taken it to a dealer
Has Forest River made any recall or attempt address it as amanufacturing defect?
Some have said that they fixed the issue by making the outside edge of the camper with an aluminum frame
I have attempted to talk to Forest River directly but have received no information back
anybody’s thoughts are welcome
Thanks.
Peter
2015 FR R-Pod M-179 - 2016 Taco DC
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:04pm
Please expand. Is this "bent" only when the slide-out is extended?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Hubcappizza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hubcappizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:16am
No this is Permanent issue.
It might need reinforcement with welding and iron idk
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:59am
We have a 2016 RP179 which was built in 2015. I just looked at ours and there is a little bit of sag at the slide-out, but nothing like 2" I will be looking into adding support there myself. Thanks for the heads-up. If anyone reading this has added outrigger support to the floor, please let us know how this was done.

By the way, we are registered for the FROG rally in August if it is not cancelled. While there, I will try to ask someone from the factory about this and get information on what can be done to fix this issue. Since it is well beyond warranty, I don't expect this to be fixed there, but if I can get information, it will be helpful. It would be nice if the factory would strengthen that part of the floor to take the load of the slide-out better or add an outboard support or two in that area of the frame to better support the floor in that area.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 8:28am
My 195 has outriggers on it, due to the wider width. Each "gusset" is about a foot long. It's tack welded to the frame and extends to within an inch of the edge. The edge that is up against the floor has a 90 degree bend to form a flange. From the end it looks like a letter T, with onlt half of the T crossed. Then right out at the edge of the camper, they bolt the floor to the flange section. Each "gusset" is about 34 inches apart om mine, so I would think (based on their normal meeting of minimal standards) spacing them out about 24 inches would be a good solid base. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 12:06pm
Would you mind posting a close-up picture of one of the outriggers? That would be helpful.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 1:23pm
Hopefully this works. Now remember, I have a 195 so my outriggers are a couple inches longer than yours might be. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 2:16pm
Thank you. That is very helpful.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hubcappizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:02am
Yes thank you. Too bad the 179 does not have that

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hubcappizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:50am
This is a pic of the floor just to the right of the left hand ottoman. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0TpKDR0v8PyEqdBOvsopU77xw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>