R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Dome Leave up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Dome Leave up?
    Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 2:09pm

I searched the forum and did not see this question so my apologies in advance if this has already been asked and answered. We just got our 177 and found the rdome painful to get up and down as tenting goes. The documentation seems to suggest that you can roll it up and leave it attached when traveling. Is that really so and does anyone do that? If not I am considering selling it and getting and easy up fly. Love the pod so far and we plan to do a round trip across the country in Sept.

vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 4:29pm
We don't have the R-dome, but we think we might like to get one at some point. We have an EZ up and it works okay. As far as travelling with the r-dome attached, I would think that it would be a bad idea. I've heard of podders tying it back to the pod when they're away for a few hours because the wind can damage it. 50-60 mph wind could probably tear it up pretty badly.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 5:31pm
You don't want to drive with it attached.  When you staop at the end of the day it will be gone.  A little here and a little there.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 6:46pm
With a proper awning bag for a tent trailer, you could likely leave the r-dome attached.  The awning would roll into the bag and the poles would also store in there.

But, I don't think it a very good idea to pursue.  You'd need a two-step ladder at least and rolling up such a large quantity of tenting would be a real chore.  Storing the r-dome in its bag in your basement storage is path of least resistance.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 9:25am
   I think I will go with the basement option (although we have no basement :)). I think think the R dome would be fine for people who leave it up for more than a day at a time but our travel patterns do not generally call for that. If anyone want ours we can probably work something out. It has been up one time.
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 11:07am
We've found it to be a pain to set up too, and only do it when its going to rain for the whole weekend on weekend trips, or we'll be set up for a week.  We prefer our EZ-ups (2 of them).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tamms View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 12:58pm
TBH we thought it looked like a hassle also. We haven't tried it yet (will do later in the back yard). We've decided for our longer stays (3+ nights) we'll put it up but otherwise we'll use our $37 Wal-mart special, a screen tent that we assemble in 5 min and lift over a picnic table.
Tammy, Robert, & Linus the morkie (Two & a Half Nerds)
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:27pm
I have found camping by myself I can put it up and tied down in about 20 minutes. I had an easy-up and could not put it up by myself. I prefer the r-dome myself, but other people do not. It is an extra room when you are camping. LUV IT!
THERESA
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by tdrace

I have found camping by myself I can put it up and tied down in about 20 minutes. I had an easy-up and could not put it up by myself. I prefer the r-dome myself, but other people do not. It is an extra room when you are camping. LUV IT!
THERESA

I'm with you Theresa, for a single person I think the R-dome is easier to put up and down.  Plus I normally don't put up the front, and keep the front and skirt in a different bag, that I don't have to pull out.  I put pulls on the ends so once it's started I just pull around the top (or if for some odd reason I get my child to help).  

The easZ up is heavy, and you have to work opposite corners for each step, which means a lot of back and forth, which is great for two people or someone with upper body strength that I don't have.

As for Leaving up, some camp grounds want you to roll up your awning when leaving the camp site in case of high winds.  I'm almost done with modifications that will allow me to attach the r-dome to the R-pod for when I leave the campground during the day (NOT WHILE MOVING DOWN THE ROAD), or just secure it during a storm with taking it down.

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
misplacedtexan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:52am
My wife and I love our r-dome. We can get it up and ready in about 20 minutes. Getting down and rolled up to fit in the bag can sometime be a hassle, but worth the effort.
Misplacedtexan
2010 171
 Post Reply Post Reply