R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExperiment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experiment
    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:30pm
Many people ask how they can attach things to the walls, so this is my experiment. I took a piece of wall panel, drilled a 1/16" pilot hole and put in a coarse thread drywall screw to find out how many pounds of pull it would it take to pull it out. the scale the pounds just as the screw started to pull out. It took about 37.5 pounds.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 8:00pm
37.5 lbs is a lot!!

Could easily hang this 35 lb. striper! Probably not over a speed bump, though.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:10am
Testing this is great and on the right track but a few comments.

In the case of hanging stuff I think you want to do a shear (lateral) load test not an axial load test. Most likely the attachment is stronger that way but it’s thin material so it’s worth testing to see. How far from the wall you apply the load makes a difference because it’s a little lever, so pick something typical for something hanging on a wall, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 inch?

Also since wood is a variable material you typically get a load variation in test results so you need to do multiple tests and look for the average and standard deviation. Generally speaking that is about 5-10 tests. If the variation in the first 5 tests is less than say 10% then thats good enough. Do the test slowly as wood unlike metal can take a lot more load for short periods than long ones.

I can dig out my Wood Products Handbook and see but IIRC for single fasteners a safety factor of about 2 is specified for short duration loads like bump loads in an rpod. Since those loads are about 2g I think an overall 4x safety factor would be safe. That would be around10 lbs per screw for the pullout test but I think it will end up being more than that for a shear load.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:26am
Good test and everything that was learned so to extrapolate the findings if I use 2 drywall screws in the wall does that mean that I can hang something that has a weight of 75 pounds (4 screws 150 lbs) before the screws start to fail (pull out of the wall)?? 
Jay

179/2019
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:10am
Every once in a while I read something here and think "oh, my! 'the guys' are going to have a field day with this." It usually has to do with tow vehicles and weight limits. 

I think you're kidding...right?LOL
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:20am
Originally posted by JR

Good test and everything that was learned so to extrapolate the findings if I use 2 drywall screws in the wall does that mean that I can hang something that has a weight of 75 pounds (4 screws 150 lbs) before the screws start to fail (pull out of the wall)?? 

No, it doesn't work that way. Its close to 2x for 2 fasteners but after that it stars to drop off because some fasteners (usually the outer ones in a row) take more load, and you reach a point where the inner ones aren't doing much. Also, see me previous post re load testing and safety factors. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:28am
Originally posted by EchoGale

Every once in a while I read something here and think "oh, my! 'the guys' are going to have a field day with this." It usually has to do with tow vehicles and weight limits. 

I think you're kidding...right?LOL

Sometimes by taking things to extreme limits you can identify where the assumptions have gone wrong. Practical engineering is fun, everybody gets to learn some stuff they didn't know before. Much better to do it with stuff hanging on walls of an rpod than say finding out the hard way because of a bridge collapse. Star

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:04am
I think that an experiment should be set up using a section of wall from an rPod in which each method mentioned by members is tested to see which is strongest.  The test could use 3 applications of lateral force:  one sudden, one for a sustained period of time, and one that simulates repeated applications of lateral force as in bouncing down the road, with, as OG suggests, 5 actual load tests for each fastening method to compute averages.

To make it interesting, the members of the board could place bets on which method s/he feels will win with the money pooled.  The winner(s) would be those who selected the strongest fastening method would win the pot.  Big smile
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:08am
I'm in for the betting!
Julie
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:16am
Never mind all that, was the fish fry good?

Cool
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>