R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RPoders in the Wolverine State - Event Date: 04 Aug 2020 - 04 Aug 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New RPoders in the Wolverine State
    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 7:58pm
Swampfox
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 8:05pm
We are from Indiana and own a 190 also.  I generally run my fridge on propane while towing.  We have been RVing for 45 years and never had an issue other than stopping to turn off the propane where it is required to enter certain tunnels.

We love camping in Michigan, especially in the fall........almost time to head that way!!  

Hope to run into you sometime in the future.  Enjoy the RPod.  We certainly do!!
Swampfox
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Phill-n- Dawn W.

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. Just got back from our first trip and it went nearly perfect.

I ended up using twin 12v batteries in parallel. A battery monitor said I stayed at 12.6v or better. (Not sure how low I could go, so I stayed conservative) 

12.6V is still pretty much full charge. You should try to stay above 12.1 to 12.2 or so, which is about 50% state of charge. To test properly, you need to shut off any charging sources and loads for an hour or so and then read the voltage. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Phill-n- Dawn W. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 9:27pm
We stayed at Thunder Bay River state forest campground. Rustic camping. No hookups. Took water in with us we had picked up at a nearby RV campground and dumped at a Flying J on the way home.

Our rig also survived a trek down a seasonal dirt road. I kept the batteries at or above 12.6v the entire time.

BTW I highly recommend this campground. Only 10 sites. 8 of them have the river behind them and nothing across the road. Very peaceful and quiet. Maybe 15 minutes to town if you need supplies. Alpena is a nice town, too.
Phill-n- Dawn W. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 9:30pm
I felt safer driving with the propane off but it sure took down the battery. Maybe next time I'll try leaving the propane on.

Next month we will head North again to check out the fall colors and look for the Elk herds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123