R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RPoders in the Wolverine State - Event Date: 04 Aug 2020 - 04 Aug 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New RPoders in the Wolverine State
    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:41am
Hooking up the TV and running it to get the trailer battery voltage up should get the slide in. But as others have said, running your batteries down like that is bad for them. Do it more than a few times and you’ll need new batteries.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:40pm
Welcome and congratulations on your "new to you" RPod. I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with it. I agree that if your Cherokee is set up right, it will charge the battery/batteries. What it may or may not do is be able to both charge the battery and run the refrigerator on 12V at the same time. Many vehicles just don't have the capability to do so. We have run the refrigerator on propane for most of the time we have been traveling with our 179. Only recently, I installed an LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery instead of the two 6V batteries in series that I had been using (see my mods for details). I also installed a DC to DC charger and a dedicated circuit in our Frontier and can now both charge the battery and use the refrigerator on 12V DC. LP is still the way to go when not towing though as the refrigerator will discharge the battery/batteries rather quickly.

I also got a Renogy 100W Solar Suitcase with Voyager controller (again, see my mods for details). I got it on sale which was helpful. It is still more expensive than some other options, but it works well and I am pleased with it. As stated above, I would not go below 100W. Going with a 200W would have been nice, but the size and cost of the larger unit was higher than I wanted to pay. I have the connections to either use the solar port or a connection I made on the tongue with PowerPole type connectors.

One other thing I did recently was to pick up a Firman dual-fuel (gasoline or propane) generator from Costco. I don't know if it is still in stock but if so, it is much less expensive than a Champion or other dual-fuel generator brands. It is electric start and has a multi-function meter to track hours for maintenance (something the Champion lacked when I was looking). It is relatively quiet. It is on sale right now. http://www.costco.com/firman-2900w-running--3200w-peak-electric-start-gasoline-or-propane-fuel-powered-inverter-generator-gas-and-lp.product.100481637.html It delivers a little less power on propane than on gasoline, but it is easier to carry a second propane tank and not worry about gasoline fumes or spilling. It is powerful enough to run the AC. The down side is that it is quite heavy.

I had made a lot of these changes to prepare for a trip to Alaska which did not happen this year. I hope we can make it next year instead. In the meantime, we are much better set up for off-grid camping. Since you are experienced tent campers, I think you will be well pleased with the luxury of your RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 1:30pm
Congrats on the new-to-you R-Pod from yet another fellow Michigander! You will find excellent guidance from this forum as the contributors here have both extensive knowledge and hands-on experience. The counsel given above is outstanding as usual. I did read that although you are experienced with rustic camping, you are new to RVs. I would recommend taking your new-to-you R-Pod to a close-by State Park (not on weekends) sometime to plug in and check out that everything works well, as well as learning how to use the dump station. State Parks like Yankee Springs, Fort Custer, Waterloo, Algonac, and several in mid-Michigan are lightly populated during the week. I also have several videos for those new to R-Pods in the link below if interested. All the best!
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Phill-n- Dawn W. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:02pm
Thanks... I don't 'plan" to run the battery down that low. Just worried about a worst case scenario on our first trip out. Looking to add another battery and solar for future adventures.
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:40pm
Put these rustic campgrounds on your list to try. Last week we were in the nicest rustic campground I've seen in the State. Rollways Campground in the Huron National Forest, which is north of Hale and west of Oscoda off of route 65. 19 sites of which most are first come first serve. Showed up on Monday and we had the place to ourselves for the first two nights.   East of Rollways at the Lumberman's Monument is Monument Campground. It's really nice under tall pines and we're heading there next.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 7:09am
Thanks! Those sound wonderful. I looked at Lumberman's Monument on-line. I'll check out the other as well.

You might consider Shoepac or Tomahawk Lake located off 33 between Atlanta and I away.
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 7:27pm
Also thanks. Will check them out.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
7mm sendero View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:18pm
Kewadin?  That's where I grew up, very cool.  We picked up a 182G in December, were we lucky to get it when we did.  

A checklist is a great idea, however after my first trip I was amazed how easy an R-Pod is to setup and take down. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 3:12pm
Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. Just got back from our first trip and it went nearly perfect.

I ended up using twin 12v batteries in parallel. A battery monitor said I stayed at 12.6v or better. (Not sure how low I could go, so I stayed conservative)

No we look forward to future adventures with growing confidence and dreams of future mods.

Hope to see you on the roads or in the forest!
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 7:24pm
So I am holding my breath where did you end up on your maiden voyage, and did it have all the amenities or was it boondocking?  So many places to discover in Michigan.
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>