R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RPoders in the Wolverine State - Event Date: 04 Aug 2020 - 04 Aug 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New RPoders in the Wolverine State
    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:57pm
Hi everyone. What a great resource this group is!

Last week my wife and I were lucky enough to land a 2015 177. We will haul it with a 2015 Jeep Cherokee.

A couple of quick questions as we are new to the RV scene, but have been rustic camping for years.
1) Will the 7 way plug charge the battery as we drive or is that a special mod that I need to do?
2) Does anyone have checklists they refer to? I am thinking it would be helpful for me to be sure I don't screw something up on our maiden ( or subsequent) voyage.

We plan to camp at rustic campgrounds. Not quite boondocks, but not the State Park wall-to-wall people with full hook-up, either.

Any/all advice welcome. (Even from Buckeyes)
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:09pm
The 7 way should supply the trailer battery while driving if it was wired correctly. I suggest getting a multimeter and confirming. You will find the meter very handy as part of your travelling tool kit going forward. 

If you're staying in campgrounds without electricity for more than a day or two you will probably want dual batteries and some kind of charging source other than your tow vehicle. Either solar (if you're not camped under tree cover) or a small generator, or both, would work. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:13pm
Welcome!  Enjoy your Pod.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:19pm
Welcome from another Michigander and I am sure you both will have a blast with your new RPod.  We've been using our 179 for 2 year now and really enjoy it and have some favorite rustic campgrounds and not just in Michigan. As far as your seven way plug there is one terminal dedicated to charging the travel trailer's (TT) battery(ies).  If you a looking into the socket of the tow vehicle (TV) it should be the terminal located in the 1 o'clock position and when the TV is running that should have power if the car is wired correctly to charge the TT when pulling it down the road.  If you do a search on check lists there have been many published on this forum.  Hope this helps and welcome again.
Jay

179/2019
Phill-n- Dawn W. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:42pm
Thanks. That's good advice. I'll start with a second battery and small solar charger. I hope to move up to 100-200W panels in the next year.

For now, the pod will just act like a hard sided tent with wheels (not use the fridge, lights or A/C to conserve battery)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 7:54pm
Thanks much for the info.

We are hoping to head out next week. Maybe spend a weekend outside Mío or Atlanta. Since we know those areas after camping there for the last 28 years or so.

Next year we will extend our boundaries around the state and maybe a little more After that...

If you have a favorite spot or two you care to share, I'd love to hear about it.

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:31pm
You should feel  free to use the fridge-put it on propane and the 12v controls take very little power.  Start it the day before you leave and get it cold before you put anything in it.  Keep the door closed and use a good cooler for drinks and other things that don't need 38 degrees.
The A/C can never be used on standard batteries.Shore power, generator or LOTS of solar is required for the AC.
If you buy a second battery, you should buy another just like the first-they need to be the same or the lower battery will drag the higher battery down to the same level. If you have to buy 2 batteries, but 6 volt golf cart batteries at Sam's or Costco for about $100 each-the most battery power available with standard flooded batteries.
If you are used to camping, try using small solar powered lights- we have several of the Luci lights.  they can charge during the day sitting outside or on your dash as you drive.  they will last 4-6 hours each.  We put hooks in the ceiling and hang them over the stove, sink and dinette.
Welcome-you will love the pod and there are lots of experienced podders here to help with almost any question
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:17pm
Welcome and congratulations from yet another Michigander!  Yes, go Green, go White!  But please forgive me as I was the only one of the boys that didn't go to the other school in A squared.  You will have a blast with your 177.  We took ownership of our 177 back in March 2011 - it was brand new, built first week of January.  We boondock quite a bit, in fact our Interstate 12v batteries (group size 24, deep cycle) are 9.5 years old and still perform very well.  Please purchase a voltmeter - it will lengthen the life span of your battery significantly.  Do not draw it down below 12.2 volts or the lifespan will be much less than you wish.  We have only been in northern Michigan and the U.P. so far this year.  Campgrounds for the most part have been 100% full, at least the ones we have been to.  NFC pretty much the same.  Has been great for us as campers have been more than friendly under our adverse conditions.  As Vann aptly stated above, don't be afraid to use the fridge, it is a miser when it comes to using propane and (don't run it on battery - it will toast it in a matter of hours) and battery for the mother board.  Even when we camped in RMNP (Colorado) last September and temps at night were 50 or less every night and the furnace ran a LOT, we still got 3 to 3.5 days out of each battery and that is without solar or generator assistance.   Happy camping.

One state park campground that we enjoy is Fisherman's Island SP, only 30 minutes from us.  It is just south of Charlevoix on Lake Michigan.  $ 17 a night but no electric or any other amenities that many podders like.   That is why you have batteries, for places like this.  Am not sure what your bulbs are seeing that yours is a 2015 model but make it a plan (if it hasn't already been done) to replace those incandescent bulbs with L.E.D.'s - your battery will thank you for it.  They are very economical to purchase today.  Not so when we replaced ours in 2012 as they were $ 10 each - but they are still all functioning perfectly today.  Go podding and enjoy yourselves!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Phill-n- Dawn W.

Thanks. That's good advice. I'll start with a second battery and small solar charger. I hope to move up to 100-200W panels in the next year.

For now, the pod will just act like a hard sided tent with wheels (not use the fridge, lights or A/C to conserve battery)

As others have said, forget using the a/c or micro unless you get a generator. If you plan to do that check back on the forum, lots of discussion on pros and cons of different generators and a/c soft starters. 

The biggest 12V loads boon docking are probably going to be your vent fan and furnace fan, unless you watch a lot of TV (you will need either a small inverter or swap to a dual voltage TV to run that, the TV that comes with the rpods is only 120Vac, don't ask me why). 

A small say 10-20 watt solar charger is designed more to keep your batteries charged during storage of the trailer than it is to provide any appreciable power boon docking. Unless you need that where you store it I'd suggest saving your pennies for a 100 watt portable system 

You don"t need to get an expensive Renogy or Zamp kit, pretty much any 12V 100 watt glass front solar module will be fine. The charge controllers are another issue, cheap ones can be unreliable. Spend some money there and get something that is water resistant and will last. Morningstar is a good brand, there are others. Get one that can handle about 20 amps, that way you can add a second 100 watt solar module later if you need it.  You can connect the solar charger directly to the batteries (with a fuse on the + terminal) , no need to use the "solar port" on the rpod. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:25am
Thanks for the battery and solar advice.

Maybe a dumb question but... If my battery did run low while camping, my only concern would be getting the slide out to close.

Would connecting the TV (assuming power through the trailer light connection) or hooking up jumper cables be enough to get her closed for the trip home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>