R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Replace Fridge with larger model.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jerome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace Fridge with larger model.
    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 3:38pm
Hello Friends,

I am wanting to pull out my microwave and fridge in my 2018 180 and replace with a full size fridge and freezer.
I have found one that could work size wise with some modifying of the face frame.
My question is has anyone done this? Just need to make sure the electrical and venting would work before I rip and tear....
Any help with this appreciated.
Thanks, 
Jerome

2018 RPod 180
2015 Ford F150
Super Cab
3.5L Eco-Boost

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:18am
I haven't heard of anyone doing that. 

What kind of larger fridge are you planning to get? If its a larger size RV (absorption) fridge then it will probably need more ventilation to work properly, they throw off a lot of heat. Short of cutting holes in the exterior of the trailer that would likely entail installation of a vent fan. I'd also want to be very sure there was adequate draft for the gas flue which will no doubt have a larger flame. 

If you're just installing a household style vapor compression fridge then the existing ventilation should be OK as long as the condensing coils have space around them. 

A much easier alternative for you would be to just get a portable electric fridge/freezer or a good cooler and keep it either under the table or in the back of your TV. You can transfer food and drinks to the rpod fridge as needed. Not a big deal. Many folks have done that. If you get an electric one be sure its a vapor compression one not a thermoelectric one. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jerome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jerome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:41am
https://norcold.com/product/norcold-n3150-rv-refrigerator/

Thanks Offgrid for your thoughtful reply.

This is the one I found that would basically fit right in.
Finding it difficult to get information that it could actually work.
I do use a cooler, and that's fine for shorter outings, but would like to stay out much longer and would find the freezer very useful. Having a 180, TV on the wall in sleeping area and under the table would not work with the 2 person seating. 
Many places I venture to do not have the best choices in food. 
Anyway, just trying to find out if anyone has made the change.
2018 RPod 180
2015 Ford F150
Super Cab
3.5L Eco-Boost

marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:13am
There was one member years ago  that did the switch but don't recall the name, maybe Mark Smith can help with that.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:36pm
I also looked into this a ways back and found (off group) a couple that did it. Seems FR does build so a larger does fit in the space with the Micro shelf removed (requires removing that outlet it plugs into).

Both I spoke with did the 'fan mod' to increase air circulation as OG mentions will be required. As I recall, a few here have done the fan mod on the unit currently installed and found they run much more efficiently. 

The real question to debate is why? For us it was making/keeping ice. We always had enough space for food (and a few cold adult beverages). 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:18pm
+1 to Olddawgsrule. That Norcold can probably work if it fits and you have good clearance on the back but you will be doing major surgery. adding fans and will lose the microwave. If you never plan on reselling OK.

Otherwise why not get an electric portable vapor compression fridge if you need more cooling capacity and a cooler won't last long enough? Get some solar to help run it. The best portable fridges use the Danfoss/Secop 12V compressors. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:36am
And a larger fridge will consume propane at a higher rate.  Then there is the weight penalty also.

I would just look for alternative ways to carry non-perishable food, such as canned, freeze dried, shelf stable stuff.

When boondocking you want to be LESS dependent on having to find propane, not MORE dependent on having to find propane. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by offgrid

Otherwise why not get an electric portable vapor compression fridge if you need more cooling capacity and a cooler won't last long enough? Get some solar to help run it. The best portable fridges use the Danfoss/Secop 12V compressors. 

Have you seen these Costway portables?

They use a chinese knockoff of Danfoss/Secop compressors. They certainly are cheap for a 55 qt. compressor fridge!

The new Dometic CFX3 series look really nice but aren't cheap.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:55am
It's been done a couple times.. It isn't for the feint of heart. Though you can find a fridge to fit the space, to the best of my memory, it's the doorway that is the issue. Make sure the fridge you choose will go in the trailer to begin with. A taller fridge will require the addition of another, higher vent panel.
I would, honestly, go with a small portable 12v, I have seen quite a few in action with some overlanders I have been known to hang with.. very impressive how well they do.. We are considering a Dometic for the bed of the truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7VAbpwuIDY
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 7:59am
There is a flexible rubber seal around the opening for the refrigerator. FR adds black sealant. Carefully use a putty knife to slide under the sealant to get it loose while trying to not damage the flexible rubber seal. I re-used the flexible rubber seal when I put my new refrigerator in. Since I was not worried about CO fumes with the AC/DC refrigerator, I did not add sealant, but did seal as best I could against any air leaks and added insulation blankets for better efficiency.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply