R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer lights plug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer lights plug
    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 4:35pm
Okay, so I messed up. I guess mistakes are inevitable but go ahead and laugh. Embarrassed

Apparently I did not get the trailer lights plugged into my TV securely. when I stopped for gas I did a walk around check and found that it had come out and dragged on the highway. Much of the black rubber on one side had worn away.  I couldn't tell if the metal had been affected so I made the rest of the trip home without plugging it back in. It was a nice sunny afternoon without much traffic and I was afraid of causing an electrical problem. 

Now I need to take it somewhere to have the plug replaced. There's no RV dealer near me (and I haven't found them helpful if they aren't servicing an RV they sold anyway). Google only turns up DYI videos and I do not want to DIM. Who should I look for to have it fixed?  Will an auto repair shop do it? Is there a better idea?

Thanks in advance
Julie
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 4:40pm
I'd look for a trailer or RV place. Not a hard job, but with it disconnected you don't have trailer brakes. The lights are another issue. Best to get it fixed.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 5:56pm
Oh I am getting it fixed. Its just there are no trailer or RV places around.  I was wondering if there were other kinds of places that might do it.

The RV places here are far away and won't look at anything for weeks.
Julie
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 6:02pm
Is there a U-Haul place you could check with? 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 6:05pm
+1, anyplace that sells or rents trailers. No to say a repair shop can't do, but not a normal business practice.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 6:14pm
Take it to a truck shop..almost any semi-trailer repair shop should be able to fix this. You might have to buy the new 7 way RV plug at a big box store or auto parts store, then drive into a truck repair facility (not a truck stop) and smile, show them the new plug, and the damaged one on the trailer, and they should have you going in under a half hour.

What you are looking for is a guy (or gal) who will just cut the old plug off, and wire on the new plug, playing attention to the color codes. This is assuming you have plenty of cable, enough that you can cut several inches off and still reach the plug without strain when turning.

Be sure to test all functions after the job is done, before you leave the lot.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 6:19pm
Thanks...and thanks for the reminder to check everything.  How can I tell that the brakes are working?
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 7:07pm
Go to an empty parking lot and use the manual slide lever on your brake controller. See if it can stop the rig without using the brake pedal.

If you can’t find anyone to fix it for you go to any auto parts store or big box hardware place, get a new 7 way trailer connector and rewire it yourself. Do one wire at a time to be sure you don’t get them crossed up. You will need a wire cutter/stripper and a screwdriver. I’ve had my connector fall out too on one of my trailers, you’re not alone. 😜
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:40pm
+1. You can get a replacement connector at Walmart in their RV section of the automotive department as well. They really are not hard to replace. Don't wait for a shop to do it. You would end up paying a whole lot more than you would if you do it yourself. Offgrid's advice about moving one wire at a time is good if you can get to the termoinsals on your original plug. If you have to cut the wire off, you can still do it, but a multimeter will be handy to test which wire is hich in the old connector so you can match the colors for your new connector.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:57pm
Lol...you guys have way too much confidence in me. I've had the multi meter for a year and a half and only recently learned used it to test voltage in my battery (I couldn't figure out how it works with all those cryptic symbols and stuff) i certainly couldn't use it to do any part of this. I've never even heard the word termoinsals; so, no, I can't get to them (it?). Believe me, I've been thrifty since before it was cool but sometimes it's worth paying someone with skills.

I do need a little more help, though, on figuring out if my brakes are working. I do not have a "manual slide" on a brake controller my brake controller is built into my computer system.
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>